10 yr old girl with T1 dies after severe low during a sleepover

(pennylane42672) #1

A 10-year-old girl died after her blood sugar dropped to extreme levels during a sleepover last weekend.

Sophia Daugherty of New Castle, Pa., who suffered from Type 1 diabetes, was found unresponsive on Sunday morning, WPXI reports.

Daughtery was transported to a local hospital with brain trauma.

The fifth-grader was declared brain dead Wednesday and her organs were donated to other children.

Daugherty attended a small school where she was known by everyone.

“A popular little girl; the most commonly used adjective is ‘sweet,’ sweet Sophia. She’s going to be sorely missed,” said Superintendent Len Rich of the Laurel School District.
This is to tragic. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family.

(joe) #2

as do mine… tragic. so sorry.

(Lesley) #3

this is a nightmare. I’m so sorry to hear it.

(Thom) #4

My family sends our love and prayers and condolences. We are so sorry for your loss. I am glad you lived bravely, and she enjoyed a sleepover. Little girls love sleepovers. I am scared to let my T1 daughter sleep anywhere apart from us right now.

(Eden) #5

Very sad. Anyone know if she wore a cgm?

(Sara Hash) #6

Yes, she did. The family and the host family did everything right. It is just an unfortunate and very sad fact that even technology has its flaws and limitations. A terrible tragedy.

(Katie) #7

My problem with is that what was her dexcom reading because it should have been alarming every at least two minutes when it is that low because if it wasnt alarming it could be dexcoms fault or just to not trust a cgm and always check your bloodsugar if it is lower than it should be.

(Dennis J. Dacey, PwD) #8

DexCom has advised ALL users to check the sound/speaker at least once evry day. Every time I charge in my Receiver, I get the message [and reminder] to “Check Speaker”.

When a supposedly “Smart Phone” is used, it is necessary for users to verify that speaker / alarm features are activated. Yes, this is a very sad day, my prayers are with her family and with the family and friends with whom she was staying.

Dexcom is not at fault. We use these tools at our own risk.

(John) #9

My son is 10 and was diagnosed in July and there is nothing more then he loves then a sleepover, but unfortunately for him sleepovers are on hold indefinitely. We’ve just opted to host more at our house and will do so for the next several years until we figure this out.

(Amanda ) #10

I read about this online the other day. It’s crazy how things can turn for the worst super fast. I feel sorry for the parents. My sympathy goes to them.

(Joselyn) #11

When I first read about this… I think I felt my heart drop… words really can’t describe . I have a 6 year old with T1D and just to know that this happened to sweet Sophia is so tragic. God bless this family and I hope that God comforts their hearts .

(PeteTheDiabetic) #12

My Dexcom G5 will alarm me even if my sound is turned off on my iphone.

(Tripta) #13

I am so so sorry to hear this . I do not have words to explain how unfortunate it is .
I am sending a healing light and hugs .
I feel I have lost something today … very sad
Triptadhillon