504 Plans

(jenn94) #1

My 14 yo daughter was diagnosed in April 09 with Type 1.  She was at a small private school, where I teach, and we had no problems with the teachers letting her eat, drink, whatever while she was there.  She has now started high school and is going to public school.  I need to meet with the 504 coordinator to get one in place for Jordan.  I would like to be well informed before entering this meeting.  What types of things do I need to make sure are in her 504?  Never having done this before I am totally lost.  Thanks for all the help!

(ShannonSamples) #2

Hi Jenn,

If you will click on the "Life with Diabetes" tab at the top of the JDRF home page, then click on "type 1 diabetes in school" in the drop down box, you will find a link to request a "school advisory toolkit".  JDRF will email the toolkit to you. It is so handy for figuring out what to put in a 504 plan.  As both a teacher and a mother to a son with type 1, I believe it is so important to have a 504 in place.  Good luck with everything!

Shannon

(MomToType1Teen) #3

Jenn,  I found both the JDRF website and the diabetes.org website very helpful.  They have several examples of 504 plans you can use.  I just went through all of this so shoot me a message if you need any help. 

Jen