I started another thread on this site with some issues I had with one problem with the Medtronic 670G pump (BG/Calibrate Loop). There has been a lot of discussion on that thread from several users, and many other “issues” were mentioned there. I thought I would try to compile everything I have personally experienced, as well as other contributions I have gathered from other threads, and start this new thread.
I am not wanting this to be a complaint session. Rather, I am hopeful that we can all gather together our suggestions for improvement. I then plan to pass along the suggestions to my Medtronic Reps, and hopefully others will do the same for your reps, and then hopefully we can be heard. I would like to think that they would take these as suggestions for product/software improvement for the next release of the pump.
Please add on to my list below and let’s get a consolidated list of suggestions for improvement together.
- Releasing pump from belt clip is next to impossible.
- Belt clip is plastic, and damages easily. Animas had a very sturdy metal clip, that was very easy to disconnect the pump from the belt clip.
- Screen orientation is not right - should be sideways - or with tubing down. When I take the pump off my belt, I have to turn it around in order for the screen to be oriented now. I end up looking at the screen upside down almost all the time. Suggest the screen orients automatically based on how the person is holding it – like my iPhone.
- Way too may alarms, and no way to clear the alarms unless you physically look at the screen. In my old Animas pump, I could interact with the pump about 80% of the time without actually looking at the screen (muscle memory one user referred to this as). This pump requires you to look at it – clearing alarms is a different set of keystrokes depending on the alarm
- Why is the unlock key always rotating? Very user unfriendly. What purpose does it serve??
- Why is the bolus confirmation on a separate screen? I have missed actually delivering a bolus several times by not confirming the bolus.
- Calibration takes forever - why?
- If I do not respond immediately to the “Calibration Needed” alarm, it goes to a delay calibration screen. No way to get off this screen, unless I delay. No way to reduce delay time to 0 - no way off the screen. Poor software design here - should have a way to simply back off the screen. Now I test, and then hit delay for 5 minutes, and the pump immediately picks up the calibration. Just a silly thing that you can’t get off the screen
- Need a way to control the pump and sensor from my iPhone. One huge advantage is I can at least release my iPhone from its case easily and get to it - (see point #1 above)
- Procedures/ training needs to be updated on steps to re-enter Auto Mode on sensor change. After calibrating there is a 15 minute delay, then a BG required to enter Auto Mode. Why is the 2nd BG needed - why can’t the calibration take care of the auto mode step? If that is not possible, then at least let new users know there will be 2 BGs required (one Calibration, and one BG) with a 15 minute delay between them. This was very confusing when I first started on the pump, and was not spelled out in any of the training materials
- Sometimes you calibrate - sometimes you check BG but don’t calibrate. When do you do which? Why can’t you just hit calibrate every time you stick your finger and have the pump decide what to do with it?
- Pump goes into a loop of Calibration/ BG required. Round and round and never goes back into Auto mode. (See other thread on this site for much discussion on this topic)
- Sensor accuracy - it is advertised that the new Guardian sensor is more accurate than previous sensors, but I still have wide swings between BG and SG readings. (MUCH less accurate than my previous Dexcom sensor). Accuracy does seem to improve on day 2, then degrade again on day 6
- Pump will not accept a new BG, and immediately prompts for a new BG. Seems to happen when the Sensor Glucose it has on file and the BG being entered are too far apart from each other. Why does the pump simply not accept that it is wrong, and accept the new BG? Am being told the system needs to “catch up” when it gets readings it is not expecting and “rest” a bit to correct this.
- Exit Auto Mode when the pump has been at min or max delivery for 2 hours – I’m sure this is some kind of safety thing, but I find that since I have been on the pump for almost a year now, my old basal rates that are programmed in there are simply no longer accurate. When the pump exits out of auto mode and goes back to these old basal settings, if I do not immediately test (like in the middle of the night) and it uses these old basal rates, it is really bad – I go either way high or way low. To me it would be much safer to remain in auto mode even if it has been at min or max delivery for a long time.
- Pump will sometimes not do a correction bolus – even when by BG is above 150. Correction boluses are much different in Auto mode from the old days of an insulin pump. I know it will only correct to 150, and will often times not correct if there is any active insulin on board. But I have it happen fairly often that there is no active insulin going, and BG above 150, and it still will not create a correction bolus. I know I should not say that I have eaten any carbs, but often times create carbs, just so I can get a correction bolus. Seems a quirky software thing.