670G waking at a set time EVERY NIGHT

Dennis, sorry if I wasn’t clear. The current 670g system is FDA approved. It may be as buggy as it is in part due to safeguards and compromises the FDA insisted on.

My understanding is that Medtronic has been developing a new transmitter for the 670g to address some of these issues. That updated, unreleased transmitter is up for FDA approval.

In the meantime, with my current sensor, I have had a bg required or calibration required alert in the middle of the night for the past 4 days. The transmitter fix can’t come soon enough.

Thank you Ryan for your clarification.
At this time next Thursday I will be meeting with two Medtronic representatives who will be trying to convince me to upgrade to the 670G system - from my warranty expired model 523.
They will need to tell me why toe Medtronic System is better than the Tandem combined with the DexCom G6 - both currently FDA approved and soon both with CMS [Medicare] approval - the G5 has current CMS full reimbursement.

Based on my experience with the 670G and the above comments I think it’s time we stopped blaming ourselves (improper placement, sleep position etc etc )for these ridiculous requests for 3am BGS and Calibrations. It really seems like a bug in the system that hopefully will be fixed with the next generation. In the meantime my glucose control is SIGNIFICANTLY better than it’s been in the 10 years since diagnosis( A1C 8.9 to 7.1 in 3 months with fewerlows)… so I’m sticking with it. I just wish Medtronic would acknowledge the problem.

Hi everyone,

I’m not sure if this is being widely announced or not, but I recently learned that Medtronic is offering to replace old transmitters with an updated model will supposedly not trigger as many “enter BG” alarms. You can apply to get a replacement transmitter free of charge here:

https://info.medtronicdiabetes.com/bgcheck

Don’t expect an immediate fix - I was told that my replacement transmitter will be shipped probably in 90-120 days. Apparently if you purchase a new transmitter from Medtronic it will be the updated model and will likely ship sooner than if you apply for a replacement, but I don’t know what “sooner” actually means in this context.

Good luck everyone!

Hi Dennis. What did you decide?

Hi Sue @SChristou, I got the Tandem t-Slim this past January - and I like it very much.
I see you just joined this site, so a Warm Welcome to TypeOneNation Forum.

I have been on the 670G for nearly two years. I too was being woken at all hours of the night. I eventually did get the updated transmitter, which initially helped. But despite the new transmitter, I started getting larger and larger discrepancies between BG and SG values. Then came the myriad “sensor updating/change sensor” alerts. For the past month or so I couldn’t get a sensor to last longer than three or days. I have tried just about every possible site on my body, but to no avail. Last week I took a nap and when I got up I got a “lost signal” message that would not resolve itself. When I took out the sensor, there was tape covering the sensor filament. How did that happen? Anyway, I’ve spoken to Medtronic customer support more than my mother the last few weeks. I was becoming increasingly frustrated and emotionally exhausted. I have just thrown in the towel. I am now using my old t:Slim and I am so happy and more relaxed. Not having CGM is difficult and dangerous as I’ve had a few bad and unexpected lows. I have started the process of getting the Dexcom 6G, insurance-willing. I have read other reviews of the 670G where most of the “experts” who used the pump to review professionally said they couldn’t wait to end the trial and felt a genuine sense of relief when they stopped using the 670G. I now know the feeling. As a side note, the BBB gives Medtronic Diabetes in Northridge, CA an F rating. Why am I not surprised? I despise Medtronic AND the 670G!

1 Like

Thanks for the post. I’ve been using the 670g since the beginning of January this year (2019). Not sure if I have the new transmitter, but I think I got it when I converted from the 530g to this one

I am also being woken up many nights at 3 AM because it wants a new BG to remain in auto mode. From suggestions I’ve read elsewhere, I just enter the SG and don’t calibrate. This is after a BG and calibration before going to bed.

That is one of several very frustrating things about the 670g and sensor system.

Jack

1 Like

Not until reading everyone’s comments did I get my 1st Bg request at 4am last night. I believe I have the newest transmitter since I’ve only had this system since 4/2019 . Oddly I had the Bluetooth setting on my iPhone off for the past week because my car was at the mechanics and I didn’t have one issue . Picked up my car yesterday turned Bluetooth on and wow had an incident last night. Coincidence?

1 Like

Enter q new BG for Auto Mode:
6/17 10:24 AM
6/17 6:39 PM
6/17 10:15 PM
6/17 11:50 PM
6/18 4:54 AM
6/18 6:09 AM
6/18 9:14 AM

I just keep the pump in manual mode, no more BG required. Plus, the target for automode is 120 mg/dL, so you can do a lot better in manual.

1 Like

With all due respect Edward, I didn’t pay $400 to get this pump to run it in manual mode. I have contacted my medtronic diabetes educator about the above. As suggested above, I am asking for a new transmitter and/or a new pump.

Jack

1 Like

You should double check your ISIG history for those times, “BG required” is a safeguard when the pump sees unexpected readings. Either, it thinks the sensor is off calibration, or the algorithm doesn’t understand why your blood sugar is what it is given the auto basal it has given.
You’ll have a lot of problems if you eat anything without telling the pump, even if it’s for hypoglycemia, and if you enter fake carbs to get a correction bolus.

2 Likes

I was having the same issues. I had to ask for a replacement transmitter. I also noticed if I placed it closer to the transmitter I had less of those in the night. Hope this helps

Hi all,
New to the forum and fairly new to 670G and using a sensor. Been on it for about 6 weeks so far.

It’s come with it’s challenges and since moving onto it (was originally on the Accu-Chek Combo). I’ve had my transmitter replaced twice and actual pump replaced once and numerous sensor replacements. I suspect that my current transmitter will also need replacing as it’s not fully charging…

Having said this, I’ve been working closely with my Medtronic Representative and their global helpline - it’s been really painful cos I just want it to work but when I think about it, they’ve really gone above and beyond to get my stuff replaced etc

In terms of the pump wanting a BG at night- this happened quite frequently with my previous 670G unit despite doing a calibration before bed. Since they’ve swapped it out, it hasn’t happened. Perhaps it’s worth demanding a new pump…

I’m determined to get this pump to work properly - auto mode has been fantastic and I encourage those of you who are struggling to continue the fight with Medtronic to replace pumps/transmitters etc till it works. I wake up with perfect BG’s in the morning. I’m now working on getting my carb ratios and insulin duration correct.

1 Like

I’m also fairly new to Medtronic 670G system. (About 2 months.) Before then used Dexcom G5.CGM. I’ve experienced the same type of problems that I have read on this thread. Except, I have good numbers with my meter and CGM. (I’m currently also wearing a Dexcom G5 CGM and they are both very close on numbers.) I am wearing a backup Dexom CGM due to repeated sensor or transmitter failures at inopportune moments. I just can’t trust it in a pinch. It will fail or go into processing signal mode. I won’t be able to continue with Dexcom much longer though. My transmitter is soon to run out.

My main issue are the notifications and loss of sleep due to NOTHING. At least that’s my opinion of it. My results so far are so good, though. It’s the first time, I’ve actually had good control. But, my mental health suffers and I wonder how long I can endure. Oh, I think I have the new version of transmitter. And, there are days where it doesn’t act up. Not many though. If I get two nights of uninterrupted sleep a week, I’m lucky. To me, it would make sense to allow only essential notifications during sleep hours. I don’t need to be awakened at 5:30 a.m. to tell me to calibrate at 6:30 a.m.

My CDE has been a huge help, but, there’s only so much you can do, imo. I’m going to make a list and try to resolve my issues. I don’t think a new pump or transmitter is the answer though:(

One thing which I forgot to mention above is that I try keep my infusion set on the same side as my sensor - this seems to prevent many of the lost transmitter issues. Hopefully this will help others.

I usually go to bed around 22:00 and the last thing that I do is a calibration to prevent the calibration notification at all unpleasant hours.

Keep at it :smiley:

I too have started receiving those requests at unwanted times. MEDTRONIC tech support says it’s normal and the sensor is trying to calibrate. It seems to happen on a new sensor and then it ends up ironing itself out

I’m not so sure that mine irons itself out, after the sensor gets acclimated. I suspect that they are trying to bring comfort with some sort of a response. But, even if it’s true, it’s not ideal or acceptable, imo. Also, the other notifications during the night are equally disruptive. Today, I really could feel the drain on my body and exhaustion from lack of sleep. I have an upcoming appointment with my CDE and we will have to figure out some things. While I will value a lower A1C, I can’t go on long term with so much sleep disruption. It’s not healthy.

Eventually, you will learn to sleep through it XD
Im a really light sleeper, but Ive gotten so used to the pump that it doesnt wake me up.
Try putting it under a pillow next to you, or turn it on silent mode for the night.
The calibration is every 12 hours. There are one to two 6 hour calibrations immediately after you start a new sensor, so make sure to do those in the morning. You also want to calibrate before bed. Its a nice idea to save test strips by calibrating twice daily, but the accuracy is better with 8 hour intervals anyways. 8 hour checks are what they stated for FDA AutoMode approval.

Most of my sensor errors are because the electrode has worked its way out of my skin. Im a forklift mechanic and pretty lean, so it gets snagged on stuff through my clothing all the time and tugs the sensor hard enough to dislodge the electrode without disrupting the tape.

I would highly recommend going onto manual mode for a week every once and a while. Automode decides its basal rate based on data from the past rolling week, hopping into manual mode will let you get your bolus estimates dialed in so they dont screw up automode. If your insulin sensitivity, carb ratio, or active insulin time is incorrect, it will disrupt automode. “BG required” is a symptom of Automode detecting blood sugar anomalies and trying to cover its butt before it goes guessing on insulin rates. Its a sign that you dont have the settings properly adjusted.

2 Likes