Addison's disease

(anathia) #1

I have, in addition to Diabetes, Addison's Disease. Do any of you have Addison's?  How are you doing with that?

I've also got hypothyroid, but it seems a lot of diabetics have that as a result of the Hashimoto's antibody.

(BeckyBee) #2

Hi Ana,

I don't have Addison's, but I do have hypothyroidism.  What kinds of things are you dealing with?

~Becky~

(Roo) #3

I have had type 1 for over 43 years and have had hypothyroidism for over 10 years.  I am at the point of being very very tired most of time no matter what I do.  Not fun.  I had asked my endo to increase my thyroid medication hoping that would help my energy level but it did not.  I have tried many things but it seems that an abnormal amount of rest is all that works to help me with my energy level and that seems to only last for about one day if I'm lucky. 

What is Addison's disease and how does it effect you?

(Gina) #4

I am not sure what Addisons is? Can you explain in case other people would like to know?

(anathia) #5

Addison's Disease is also known as chronic adrenal insufficiency syndrome, and it occurs when your kidneys no longer produce cortisol, the hormone needed to help you wake up in the mornings and feel refreshed, the hormone needed to regulate how your body responds to stress, and the hormone needed to regulate sodium levels.  (You know those ads on tv selling diet pills that say cortisol is what makes you hold belly fat; yeah, well, what they don't say is that if you don't have any cortisol, it can be fatal.)  Famous people with Addison's: Jane Austen (probably this is what she died of); Howard Hughes, JFK. 

Anyway, basically, to take care of it, you have to take hydrocortisone or prednisone, along with a sodium retension pill called flourinef, in order to keep your body up.  During times of stress, it's vastly important to respond by taking extra pills.  For a diabetic, during times of stress, it can be difficult to keep blood sugar balanced, particularly if you screw up the balance of hydrocort to insulin.

Symptoms before diagnosis: brozing of unexposed areas of body (spots on gums and lips, elbows, hands, knees, and inner thighs can turn brown or ashy).  Anyway, I was wondering because it makes for a fun balancing act. WARNING: IF YOU DO HAVE TYPE I AND HYPOTHYROID, make for darn sure that you watch out for bronzing, migraines, extreme fatigue, weight loss, loss of appetite.  Apparently, this triad of diseases is actually a relatively common thing. Although Addison's only strikes something like 1 in 100,000, it commonly happens in people with hypothyroid and diabetes.

Addison's is most often compared and confused with chronic fatigue syndrome.

(cdavid1) #6

I have hypothyroidism since I was 7.