Afraid to sleep?

(elizabethbet) #1

How many of us are afraid to sleep?... or fear they will experience an extreme low blood suger and not be able to help themselves when they wake?  i stopped counting at 15 times. Im blessed... even recently when it has happened I have had Friends, family, and my current relationship partner be there to help me threw the terrible times. My girlfriend helped me the last time and I watched for 2 hours as she did all that she could do to help me... bless her heart. Im so thankful to all who help me (us) when we need help. Thank you, thank you, thank you. 

(system) #2

hmm. can't say i've ever encountered this. i test before bed and if i'm below 90, i'll eat something. i have gone low during the night before but i keep a bunch of juice boxes by my bed so i don't even have to move. i can just treat it and go back to sleep. the fear you're experiencing is much worse than the actual low.

(Anonymous) #3

I use to be when I was younger. When I was a child I was pretty much in charge of my diabetes, if I didn't wake up to test no one tested me during the night. In my teen years the lows got really bad to the point where if I couldn't walk down the hall I would just call out for someone in the house to bring me juice and hope someone was there.

I'm pretty spoiled or well taken care of now. My husband tests my sugar while I sleep, and treats my lows for me with juice. I rarely even wake up anymore during them.

What scares me more than going low during sleeping is passing out without warning. This is something I tend to do a lot. This is another reason why I test every two hours so I can catch the lows that sneak up on me.

(elizabethbet) #4

C..

Im happy to heat that you have not had to experience this before =) I have honey next to my bed however, dont always awake when my blood suger falls low... thats when I run into trouble. yikes I dont know what is worse tho... well I take that back... I agree with you.. the fear is much worse, much, much worse.. although I have experienced some pretty extreme lows. In fact im not even sure how low, what I do know is I have eperienced a blood suger of 19 and still moving around ( confused) serving tables at a restaurant....  yikes right.... my doctor has also tlod me that haveing low's while sleeping can be difficult. something about the mind and the body awaking at different speeds. Again Im glad to hear you have not had this experience and hope the best for you. Take care and hope to talk soon. keep smiling  =)

(system) #5

thanks elizabeth. when i was younger, i was very hypo-unaware and had a couple seizures during the night. it scared my parents, but not me. i don't test much during the night unless i've been experiencing a pattern. i love my sleep too much to disturb it :op

(elizabethbet) #6

Happy Vegan..

Glad to hear you are doing well too. So great to hear your husband helps you, so you can rest with an easy mind.  I have gotten better with getting up in the middle of the night to test my blood... so I have been good and with out an epidsode in the last 2 months. Now about this passing out with out warning? I have never experience this. do you mean while being up and active in your daily activities? or while resting?

(Anonymous) #7

[quote user="elizabethbet"]

Happy Vegan..

Glad to hear you are doing well too. So great to hear your husband helps you, so you can rest with an easy mind.  I have gotten better with getting up in the middle of the night to test my blood... so I have been good and with out an epidsode in the last 2 months. Now about this passing out with out warning? I have never experience this. do you mean while being up and active in your daily activities? or while resting?

[/quote]

Here are some examples... In August my best friend and I were playing video games one minute and the next thing I know it is four hours later. My husband told me I passed out and when he took my sugar I think it was in the 30's.

A few weeks back I got up to go to the bathroom overnight and while washing my hand I passed out, once again from a low blood sugar.

It happens a lot and is getting more frequent. I see my Endo on Thursday and am very interested to hear what he has to say about all this.

(elizabethbet) #8

wow..that sounds scary... hope your appointment goes well and will look forward to hearing how it goes.. keep smiling

(Anonymous) #9

[quote user="elizabethbet"]

wow..that sounds scary... hope your appointment goes well and will look forward to hearing how it goes.. keep smiling

[/quote]

Awe thanks so much. Yeah it is hard not to smile. I have a lot to be grateful for.

(Amber Buller) #10

Ive never in my 5 years with diabetes felt this because i always had highs.. now in this past weeks i have had tons of lows and they r like loww like 21 and now im always affraid to go to sleep :/

(Aggie_Girl_10) #11

After I had my seizure (3 weeks after diagnosed) I was terrified to sleep!!!! Especially the first week after being back at home cause of course at the hospital they were coming in every 2-3 hours and at my mom's house nobody wakes me up to test. Luckily when I'm at my dad's my step mom will wake me up when she wakes my brother (also T1) up. But it is scary to know that you might not wake up the next morning.

(jaco1199) #12

When I was young I had a tendency to not wake up but then it was as though I out grew that.  But when I became a single parent I became nervous during the night.  I was afraid that I would go low and not only not be able to take care of myself but not take care of my son should he need me in the middle of the night.  As he's getting older I'm less fearful but it's always in the back of my head.  So I wake up naturally in the during the night to test at least once normally twice.  My goal is for my son never to witness me during a hypo effect in which I can't get myself out of.  So far so good.

(akoster) #13

I have never had a seizure/ coma from low blood sugar, but my body often won't let me fall asleep if my blood sugar is going to drop. I don't quite know how it knows that, but I can get into bed at 130mg/dl (or something like that) and I won't be able to fall asleep. Then, sure enough, I'll be really frustrated at like 2am, test, and I'll be down to 60mg/dl. Other nights, when I can sleep just fine, my levels will stay stable/ run high. Its so weird. Does this happen to anyone else?

(Jeff09) #14

I guess im a lucky one too. ive never passed out or had a seizure or anyting from diabetes. Thank God!! Like Ariana my body wont let me sleep if my sugar is low and dropping...but it does sound scary to pass out or anything

(Amber Buller) #15

Jeff and Ariana you guys r verrrrry lucky. when im low all i want to do is sleep and i cant stand or i passout.

(Julia1982) #16

Arrianna, yes that always happens to me I'll lay in bed and toss and turn and wonder why in the world I can't sleep and for some reason (even though it is my low bs everytime) my blood sugar is the last thing that I think is wrong with me. lol.I always wondered if that happens to other people.

now about the original post, I used to be scared to sleep because I have had several episodes where my sugar dropped while I was sleeping and had to have paramedics come to revive me. because I was unresponsive and/or extremely combative to anyone trying to help me. I finally feel free from that fear though now that I am pumping. I have only had a few low sugars in the past nine months I have been on the pump,  and I have always been able to treat them myself.  yahhh for the omnipod

(elizabethbet) #17

same with me, when im low all I want to do is rest/sleep. over time with experience, if it's the middle of the day and I havent tested my blood sugar and suddenly Im tierd then I will check my blood sugar and being low is usually the result.

(Run D-Link) #18

My mother checks my sugar every single night of the year.  If I go away on a trip, I have to call her at 3 am with my readings. 

One time, I was away with my robotics team, and I did set my phone to wake me up at 3 am, but I accidentally put it on silent.  My mother, freaking out that I did not wake up and test and then call her, somehow finds out the number of the chaperone that was with me, and I am awakened by my teacher banging on the hotel room door as loud as possible.  I woke up and my sugar was normal.

Needless to say, my teacher asks me about my sugars once a week at least, and I get teased for setting a "silent alarm."

(elizabethbet) #19

Amber,

I agree or have same and simular symptoms.. I also get tierd and want to rest or sleep.. sometimes im wise enough to check my blood sugar and sometime I just dont think about it or sometimes its just to late to check any thing ... lol.. I just head to the nearest sugar item and shove it in my face... when this happens I get all my sugar cravings out of the way and raise my blood sugar... lol.. kicking two stones with one foot. smiles , and more smiles.

(elizabethbet) #20

Julia..

I think alot of times I just lay in beed nervous.. wondering... even if I know my blood sugar is fine.. To often I think I know what or how my blood sugars will be during my sleep time.... and my body decides something different. This just proves to me that the list of things that effect a persons blood sugar is in deed, endless.