Allergic to MINIMED CGMS but not the sites?

(horsegirl505) #1

I have allergies to latex and adhesives, but the paradigm silhoutte i am not allergic to. I wanted to get the CGMS so bad because of so many lows at night. My doctor and I talked it through with minimed and it is the same adhesive so they said i would be fine.

I got to wear my CGMS for a week because i am allergic to the chemical in the catheter that mixes with your fluid to test the sugar.

I was wondering if anyone else has had allergies to the minimed CGMS?

(A-D) #2

Bailey,

I have a lot of skin allergies and washing my hands at work leaves me in position similar to washing my hands in acid.  I usually have a delicate layer of skin back by the end of the weekend...  Anything with a scent seems t' just kill me.  That said, have you tried the Dexcom 7?  The Navigator adhesive gives a lot of folks fits (though they do offer a money back guarantee) but the Dex seems to be pretty friendly...  They'll likely let you do a one week trial!  I understand it’ll suck having a separate receiver…

Good luck and please let us know what you find/choose.  The other option (only if it is the adhesive and not the sensor itself) is to use Bards or something like it between your skin and their adhesive...

Cheers!

A-D

P.S.

Did you get insurance t’ cover the CGM???

(horsegirl505) #3

Thanks for the support of someone else being allergic to so much. I work at a vet’s office being a tech and I have to watch what shots i give animals, even though i just draw them from the vial and inject them they still give me reactions.

As for Bards or anything like that I am allergic to those as well as like tegaderm, and especially IV prep.

My doctor and i have just decided to wait a year or so and see what new CGMS come out.

Yes my insurance did cover it. Although to get them to cover it i had to send 2 weeks of blood results, with checking 12 times daily. I knew it would be worth it until i was allergic, he he.

We will see what happens!