Anyone with a cgm been admitted to the hospital?

(Joel) #1

I’m an ICU nurse and working on a project to get some kind of cgm on our DKA patients. I’m familiar with the Dexcom G5 through my T1D son, but would love to hear from any cgm users.
I know that most hospitals’ policies require pump users to revert to injections, and we use lancets that are brutal compared to most, but I haven’t ever seen or heard of a cgm user admitted to my unit, and many RNs don’t even know what they are. Any feedback is appreciated. Thx! Joel

(Dennis J. Dacey, PwD) #2

Joel,
I do not currently use CGM, but I have researched all available including using the non-invasive Glucowatch starting about 15 years ago.
For in-hospital, ICU, use I’d suggest the Libre. This is read by [in hospital a nurse/tech] holding a receiver over where the device is implanted and reading results on a handheld screen; this would have the advantage of not alarming the patient.

By “Not Alarming”, I mean there are NOT audible alarms to awaken the patient with ‘out of range’ or false alarms AND also it will not add another stress to the patient being concerned as to why s/he is out of range.

(jmm1950) #3

I have had multiple hospital procedures ranging from 4 hours to 30 minutes in length. In all cases I wore my pump the entire time during the procedure through recovery, as well as my CGM. I gave staff quick instructions on how to read the CGM (Dexcom g5). And we agreed that if sugar went too low they would give me dextrose through IV. Most of these procedures were done at Beth Israel in Boston ,Ma and another at a regional hospital affiliated with Univ Mass Medical Center. It certainly can be done! I do find you need to speak up clearly about wanting to use pump and CGM and advocate confidently.

(Jennifer) #4

I had a procedure done a few months ago and they allowed me to wear the CGM and use it for readings (once callibrated to the hospital meter). I did however have to take off my pump and revert to shots, pain in the butt. All went well.