Average Carbs consumed in a day?

(type1at18) #1

I am very curious as to how many carbs college students consume in a day.

When I was diagnosed I was told, within reason, I can consume what I did prior to being diagnosed as long as I cover what I am eating with insulin. This was a godsend to be considering I was diagnosed at 18 and had 18.5 years of eating whatever, whenever I wanted. I have obviously learned that there are ramifications to eating a lot of carbs at one meal, but overall, my diet didn't change dramatically. Sweets I have cut back on, but I have my moments and sometimes it's hard to resist.

For me, I would say it definitely depends on the day. I never go over 300g that is for sure, but like today, I had 201g. According to my pump, my average for the past 6 days is: 257g

So I'm curious what is an average daily carb consumption for college students?

(hcole) #2

This is about what I eat everyday!

(ElizabethNicole) #3

I eat about the same too!

(mandeelee) #4

I eat about 220 carbs a day, on a good one! I know that it seems like a lot, but it really isn't when you look at how many you eat per meal/ snacks. Going to school is really challenging because there are Dunkin' Donuts, McDonalds, and other fast food places around. You don't have much time, and everyone else is eat this stuff all around you. I have to say, sometimes I feel like I should be a normal college student before I am a diabetic. It is soooo hard when your classmates around you are eating munchkins like they are going out of style!

(type1at18) #5

[quote user="Mandee Anderson"]

I eat about 220 carbs a day, on a good one! I know that it seems like a lot, but it really isn't when you look at how many you eat per meal/ snacks. Going to school is really challenging because there are Dunkin' Donuts, McDonalds, and other fast food places around. You don't have much time, and everyone else is eat this stuff all around you. I have to say, sometimes I feel like I should be a normal college student before I am a diabetic. It is soooo hard when your classmates around you are eating munchkins like they are going out of style!

[/quote]

oh i so know what you mean! I don't eat well here at all, but I figure as long as I keep my sugars under control, I will be fine. My last A1C was 6.2 and my doctor said that it was great. So I try not to worry about eating fries and burgers more than once a week and focus on the fact that I am still keeping my sugars under control :)