Back 2 School😟

(Shyla) #1

My T1D daughter is 3 and diagnosed back in December she is starting full day M-F preschool on September 4th. We are currently doing all her finger pokes and insulin injections…so no pump. I feel like im doing everything wrong and backwards. And i can feel my grey hair coming in. Please help with any suggestions or tips. What has worked for you with sending kids back to school.

(joe) #2

hi @shylaisan01 Shyla, I am sorry I don’t have much on preschool especially if it is not public school and covered by a 504 plan. You can develop your own 504 plan using the public school templates and create the same environment but the preschool would have to buy in to the plan and that might be tricky.

with respect to doing everything wrong, if by that you mean your daughter is not pumping or using a CGM let me assure you that there are benefits and risks with any kind of treatment, and multiple daily injections is a robust, time proven way to treat type 1. I personally used MDI for 29 years. Any type of treatment will work if you put the effort into it and so MDI is neither bad nor backward by any means. PLease work with your child’s endocrinologist for a list of protocols for both high and low blood sugar, and when and how to check blood sugar. good luck.

(Shyla) #3

This sounds good and reassuring. It is puplic preschool so they are utilizing the 504 plan for puplic schools. Just no kid ever admitted with T1D in preschool only starting in kindergarten…which i thought was odd. But thank you.

(Jm1977) #4

Although this doesn’t answer your question right now, you may find the JuiceBox podcast helpful. It is a podcast by a father whose daughter has type one. I really recommend checking it out. It has given me tons of support and people share what works.

(Luisa) #5

My 11 year old son was diagnosed a year ago and entered middle school this year. I had a fear about the adjustment to a bigger school, new procedures, new staff etc. and while it is taking some time to adjust I can say that in our case building a good relationship with the district RN at his district has been helpful. Maintaining a good relationship with your care team at school is very helpful but of course it can also be frustrating at times because they may not fully understand. As parents we can advocate for our children and do what we can on our end to teach the adults at school about T1D and how to care for it. I like to remind myself that when I am doing this (which takes a lot of patience sometimes when dealing with someone who doesn’t know much about T1D) that I am not only doing this for my son but also for other students in the future who may benefit from what his care team learns from us. Be patient with yourself, it’s a learning process and I am sure you are doing all you can. There is also a letter that I found which I have filled out with my sons information and I ask the school to distribute not only to substitutes but all teachers and staff who will come in contact with my son (I can e mail you the template). I will include below a link to a website that may have some helpful information :slight_smile:

https://beyondtype1.org/elementary-school-with-type-1-diabetes/