So, I know we don't like to be defined by our disease. There's a lot more to me than diabetes. But, there are a few things about me that exist because I'm a diabetic:
1. I always carry a purse. That's a given
2. I wear silver or white gold cuz I don't like to mis-match my jewelry and it has to match my medic-alert bracelet. I've always had a stainless steel (silver colored) one.
3. I take food and drink into places with signs that say "No food or drink." because it can't apply to me!
4. I know what sugar alcohol is
5. I had an excuse to be out of my cabin after curfew (those "few" times I was poor and wasn't well stocked...i never did get caught sneaking into the dining hall at camp to raid the cereal machine, but I had my excuse ready anyways)
6. You say log. I think book. You say blood. I think sugar. A new mom talks about pumping and it takes me a few minutes to realize that she's not a diabetic, she's just trying to feed her kid.
7. I don't smoke. Why add to my risk for heart disease (among other things)
8. I like fruits, and veggies, and whole grain, "health foods"
9. Not all my mood swings are PMS...most of them are blood sugars!
10. They say chicks dig scars, but I'm not impressed I've got soooooo many of my own!
So what about you can you blame on your diabetes?