Being a diabetic is all I've known, literally!

(loll-a-doll) #1

Hey, okay, new to this site, hell new to even openly discussing my issues with diabetes period.

Well I'm 21 and I've been a diabetic for 20 years. Literally I am diabetes sometimes. I can't remember a time when I wasn't counting carbs or staring longingly at a piece of chocolate as one would a long lost lover.

Sometimes I feel defined by it (Hi, I'm Lauren, female, 21, diabetic. That's me), to the point that it's not Lauren the diabetic, it's the diabetic whose name is Lauren. It drives me insane, but I can't stop defining myself as just being a diabetic.

It's been over 20 years since I've been this way, and it's the only life I've ever known, so what I want to know is, does the bitterness of being different ever go away? It's been 20 years and I'm still not completely comfortable in my own skin. Will I ever be?

(DDrumminMan) #2

For me it did.  But my circumstances are way different from yours.  I got it when I was 19 so had none of the issues in childhood you did.  However I've had it for 32 years and it seems like it's all I remember now!  Not sure what to say really.  I try not to think of myself as different.  It's just the way life is for me.  There is absolutely zero I can do about it.  For me, telling people I'm diabetic is on a need to know basis only.  My family, my boss at work, that's about it.  No one else knows I'm different because I don't tell them.  I'm not sure if this is the best way to handle it, but it's what I've chosen to do.  Most people wouldn't know we are different if we didn't tell them.  Now a lot of people drink diet soda.  A lot of people eat healthy. 

Besides, everyone is different in their own way.

Not sure if this helps, but I hope it does.

(since030993) #3

Yes, we're different from people with normally working or healthy pancreases.  Yes we have to take frequent injections (so do people with MS or allergies, tho).  Yes we have to eat healthy, but hey that's popular these days!

You know this already, but there are no two people who are exactly alike.  You have blonds and brunettes.  Black and White.  Democrat and Republican.  Young and old.  Rich and...well the rest of us.

Only you can choose whether or not your going to be bitter.  Today was a hard day for me.  It took me nearly 20 minutes to inject myself and reconnect my pump when it normally takes two minutes.  I just didn't want to do it!  I'm sick of it.  It's annoying and an inconvenience and a pain in the behind!

Right now I'm just thankful that I have healthy eyes, both my feet, and good kidney function.  My heart still works; I don't have cancer.

This is our burden and you are NOT alone!  Think about the 5000+ members on juvenation alone!  (and that's just the few who know how to use technology). 

I'm here if you ever want or need to talk!