Blood Tests

(Dillripple) #1

Sometimes I think I need more tests than what my doctors writes down. Are there any special tests for diabetes that anyone here gets? Not A1C, thyroid, Chloesterol...anything else?

Is there anything similar to Celiacs that a person could be tested for?

(system) #2

i usually get an iron test. that's about it.

is there a reason you think you need more?

(joe) #3

[quote user="Sue"]

Sometimes I think I need more tests than what my doctors writes down. Are there any special tests for diabetes that anyone here gets? Not A1C, thyroid, Chloesterol...anything else?

Is there anything similar to Celiacs that a person could be tested for?

[/quote]

hi Sue... well there are a zillion tests =)   most of the time a really good doctor will listen to the patient and consider how old they are and how long they've had diabetes and then order tests that make the most sense.

B12 and D are vitamines that diabetics can get deficient on.

testosterone...for guys  but idk if it applies to girls or not

cortisol

then there's stuff the doctor will test for, but only if have symptoms....

if you sometimes think you need more tests, what do you want to get tested for?

(Dillripple) #4

Well I need a Celiac test or something that might be like that. I have stomach cramps alot and get sick form many foods I eat.

I seem to have no energry all the time.

I have some sort of sweating problem and doc said to test my thyroid.

I get odd spells where I feel faint when very hot.

The doc just doesnt seem to want to listen or spend time talking about things with me. I guess I need a new doctor but was just wondering so I could ask to be tested for things they havent mentioned.

(Gina) #5

do you get a complete metabolic panel?

(paulg765) #6

Hi Sue,

There are two things I can think of off the bat:

1. One would be the Microalbumin Urine Test and Creatinine Blood Test for kidney function.  I'd be very surprised if your endo doesn't do these on an annual basis since you've had Type 1 almost 20 years.

2. Another one, especially since you complain of dizziness, would be to make an appointment with a cardiologist and perhaps have an echocardiogram.  I doubt they would find a stress test necessary.  Diabetes can lead to heart disease... I know.

Needless to say, I imagine they do a CBC (complete blood count) whenever you get your A1C, Lipid Panel, Liver Function, Thyroid, etc.

(Dillripple) #7

I hate to admit but I just went to the doctor abotu 2 months ago for the first time in a long time. He gave me a script to get done. It looks like the normal CBC that Paul mentioned. Gina- I dont believe I have gotten that ever. I used to get A1C alot but then fell off the wagon years ago. Im getting myself back on track now but feel there are just a few things wrong that Im tryin to figure out.

(Alayna Strickland) #8

Sue,

One of my pet peeves are when doctors act like they dont wanna listen or when I feel rushed. That leads to me feeling a little shy about asking for additional tests or questions period.

Always get a second opinion and change doctors if you aren't comfortable.

Take care,

Layna

(Eric_Carpenter) #9

Do you test your blood sugar when you are sweaty/dizzy/extremely hot?  I got a thyroid panel that came back normal even though I was always HOT, sometimes my wife said I was too hot to touch. My doctor suggested it was due to blood sugar, and I've seen at least one article (with chickens I think) that showed a relationship between body temp. and BG.

(Dillripple) #10

My sugars are fine when I really hot. I feel my body temp is higher than it should be and when my bf hugs or I get close to him he always says how hot I feel. I sweat alot but that causes me to be low usually.

(paulg765) #11

[quote user="Eric_Carpenter"]

Do you test your blood sugar when you are sweaty/dizzy/extremely hot?  I got a thyroid panel that came back normal even though I was always HOT, sometimes my wife said I was too hot to touch. My doctor suggested it was due to blood sugar, and I've seen at least one article (with chickens I think) that showed a relationship between body temp. and BG.

[/quote]

If only that were true it would make testing your blood sugar a whole lot easier!
All you'd have to do is walk around with a thermometer in your mouth... or whatever :)

(paulg765) #12

[quote user="Sue"]

...when my bf hugs or I get close to him he always says how hot I feel.

[/quote]

It must be HIM.  Sounds like a great bf :)

(ajax) #13

If you are still eating wheat, there are tests for celiacs. It's estimated that 100s of thousands of people have celiacs and don't know it, and there is a correlation between celiacs and t1 (as both are autoimmune related). Definitely get your doctor to check, but don't stop eating gluten before you are tested!

(figure skater girl) #14

i have to get a blood test done in october. all that is getting checked out is my thyroid