My first post. 1 month since my 10yo daughter was diagnosed and sent to PICU with DKA. Have brought A1c from 16 to 9 and feeling great about that and like maybe I can do this. Of course still learning all the impacts of school, parties, illnesses, activities, & emotions but feel like we have a hold on basic management. Currently on Freestyle Libre & MDI with hopes to move to G6 & a pump in January.
So many questions but thought I’d start with some questions about doctors.
We live in a rural area but have a Pediatric Endocrinologist about an hour away. Now that we’re out of the crisis phase, should we be looking further afield in bigger cities for Pedi Endos that are working on the forefront of this disease? People affiliated with University or other teaching/research hospitals?
And should we be establishing relationships with & taking her for baseline appointments with other specialists she may need in the future: Ophthalmology, Neurology, Nephrology, etc, etc. Or do you only see specialists much later on if you begin to see signs of complications?
We’ve just gotten her flu shot and she saw her dentist & primary care doctor about a month before dx. Is it prudent to see them again or simply call and let them know about the dx?
One step at a time.