Caffeine and Control

(Dylan404) #1

Hey I'm wondering if anyone knows of any studies or just information comparing caffeine intake and A1C levels. I haven't been able to find anything, except that there is a significant correlation between diet pop intake and higher A1C's. 

(A-D) #2

Dylan,

I only had a minute to look, however, I did find the following:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17998023?ordinalpos=18&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

The study at least suggests that thos of us who ingest a lot of caffeine are (almost certainly) taking more insulin than we would if we got rid of it.  The correlation I would make is that it probably makes diabetes management a bit more challenging.  Though I am drinking coffee as I type this... ;)

I will be very interested to see what others have found with regard to this!!!

Cheers,

A-D

(BrianC) #3

The idea that caffeine could affect blood sugar management is something I haven't heard about in the past. I consume quite a bit of caffeine, too, so I'd be curious if there is a correlation.

But, this article makes reference to type 2, and insulin resistance, which may not necessarily hold true for type 1.

(A-D) #4

BrianC,

I know but it also refers to insulin sensitivity which I think applies to all of us – although, I am sure not equally…   It does pose an excellent question!  Any idea where we may find an answer?

Cheers!

A-D

(BrianC) #5

[quote user="A-D"]It does pose an excellent question!  Any idea where we may find an answer?[/quote]

Looking around, it seems this info has been around for about 4 years (maybe more) but it all refers specifically to type 2.

If the caffeine is inhibiting the pancreas from kicking out the insulin, well then it's really not going to relate to type 1.

I did just find an article that concludes: "CONCLUSIONS: Ingestion of modest amounts of caffeine enhances the intensity of hypoglycemia warning symptoms in patients with type 1 diabetes without altering the prevailing standard of glycemic control or increasing the incidence of severe hypoglycemic episodes" This is from the American Diabetes Association site. See http://care.diabetesjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/23/4/455

(Dylan404) #6

here are a few I stumbled upon:

*it doesn't state here wether the study used T1 or T2 participants, so I'd assume type 2. 
PURPOSE: Beverages are important components of diet and a route for the intake of caffeine, ethanol, and other bioactive substances. The aim of the study is to examine the association between type of beverages consumed and glucose control in American adults with and without diabetes. METHODS: Diabetes status, glycosylated hemoglobin (hemoglobin A1c [HbA1c]) level, and 1-month recall food frequency questionnaires were all collected in the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (1988 to 1994), based on a nationally representative sample of the noninstitutionalized civilian US population. We used regression and other methods for clustered data to examine the association of HbA1c levels with self-reported intake of carbonated drinks, alcohol, coffee, tea, juices, and milk in participants aged 18 to 75 years with and without diabetes. RESULTS: Adults with diabetes reported drinking half the amount of alcohol as adults without diabetes. Compared with nondrinkers, subjects who had 30 or more drinks per month of alcohol had mean HbA1c levels 1.2 units less (p < 0.001) in persons with diabetes and 0.2% less (p < 0.001) in persons without diabetes. Adults with diabetes reported drinking three times as much diet soda as adults without diabetes. However, in adults with diabetes who had one or more drinks of diet soda per day, HbA1c level was 0.7 units greater (p < 0.001) compared with those who drank none. CONCLUSIONS: Alcohol consumption, at least in moderate amounts, correlates with better glucose control. There is a correlation between drinking diet soda and glucose control in adults with diabetes.

OBJECTIVE: The effect of caffeine on cardiovascular health remains controversial. Patients with long-standing type 1 diabetes are at risk of autonomic failure and sudden cardiac death. We investigated the effects of caffeine on autonomic dysfunction (as assessed by heart rate variability [HRV]) in this high-risk group and in a control population. RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS: Using a randomized blinded, placebo-controlled, crossover design trial, we examined 2 weeks of caffeine consumption (250 mg twice daily) on HRV in 20 type 1 diabetic patients and 10 matched healthy volunteers. RESULTS: Baseline HRV was blunted in the diabetic patients (P < 0.0005 vs. control subjects) and markedly increased by caffeine in both groups (+103% in the group with diabetes [P = 0.009] and +38% in control subjects [P = 0.002]). The caffeine-associated increase in HRV was not statistically different between the control and the type 1 diabetes groups (P = 0.16). CONCLUSIONS: Modest amounts of caffeine improved autonomic function in diabetic patients and healthy volunteers. For individuals with abnormal HRV, regular caffeine use may have the potential to reduce the risk of cardiovascular events. 

(BrianC) #7

[quote user="Dylan"] CONCLUSIONS: Alcohol consumption, at least in moderate amounts, correlates with better glucose control. [/quote]

Interesting results. I've often found that alcohol (primarily in wine and beer form) has a tendency to lower or at least steady my blood sugar level.

Where did you stumble upon these?

(Dylan404) #8

I found it on pubmed that I could access through my schools internet. The head researchers info is:

Department of Medicine, Dartmouth Medical School, Lebanon, NH, USA. todd.mackenzie@dartmouth.edu