CGM without a pump

(venere1) #1

Does anyone have a CGM without a pump? if so, how do you go about getting one?

(joe) #2

I don't have a CGM, but the Freestyle Navagator is a stand-alone CGM  (you don't need a pump)

http://www.freestylenavigator.com/ab_nav/

You would get one by contacting Abbott, or through your insurance which may involve getting your doctor to prescribe the CGM

There may also be other stand-alone CGM's out there so you can do some research.  Good luck

(BrianPQuinn) #3

Dexcom, Freestyle, and Minimed all have options of CGM without the pump. It is more of a style thing and the possibility of your insurance covering the CGM as to what you want. The Minimed CGM is more or less the exact some thing as the pump, without the pump abilitied. The other two I am not sure. If you are just looking to track trends, most endocrinologists are able to give you a three or four day use of the CGM to track things and those tests are usually always covered through insurance.

(venere1) #4

i contacted medtronic about cgm and was told the cgm is mostly used with the pump and its hard to get insurance to cover it otherwise. is this true as well? i have delayed stomach emptying which really makes it hard to control my sugars and thought this would be a great way of knowing when it was climbing or falling...

(BrianPQuinn) #5

If nothing else you can at least try the three day study to try and track the trends. As I said most insurance will cover that study. As for the CGM, even with newes studies each insurance comapny can and will make its own policy about this technology. Your best starting point is to call your insurance provider and see what they offer. If they tell you no or nothing, do not be discouraged, it just means you may be in for a small battle to get coverage. Of course if you are independently wealthy, you can pick any of the options out there and just pay out of pocket. But I guess you are not independently wealthy and will have to try like the rest of us, to convince our company to cover it.

(joe) #6

[quote user="venere1"]

i contacted medtronic about cgm and was told the cgm is mostly used with the pump and its hard to get insurance to cover it otherwise. is this true as well?

[/quote]

depends on your insurance.  more and more cgm are being approved first time, but sometimes only after an appeal.  if you have an endo that agrees that you have trouble controlling your bs - it's easier.  Sometimes insurance requires documentation of hypoglycemia (haha as if that's hard to prove).   

(BrianPQuinn) #7

I agree with Joe, it seems like the clearance has been going through better as of late. I just tend to down play that, so that you are aware it might not be an overnight approval. Sometimes you need to fight for the coverage.

(Gina) #8

From my experience I had a really tough time getting the CGM covered I fought them for a year. But I didn't give up. I got covered in october. Don't give up be very persistent and if you really want it you will get it. The JDRF has a lot of resources for this sort of thing and also I created a website dedicated to getting CGM coverage http://cgm-antidenial.ning.com

(venere1) #9

thanks for the info! yes...i am by no means independently wealthy to bite the cost myself :) and i think i have a pretty good case for it - ill have to call my insurance and see what they do and dont cover...although im prepared to write them a letter as my guess is they will give me a hard time. thanks!

(BrianPQuinn) #10

I doubt there are many independetly wealthy ones out there. But The best thing is definitly the insurance company and than move on from there. Why worry until you know you have to worry.

(tedrak) #11

are you using a pump also?  If so, does it bother you to have to insert the site for the pump and then the sensor for the CGM?  And what about carrying around the pump and also the meter, not that bad?

Ted

(Jillma) #12

I'm currently doing a study and in it I am required to use a CGM, but I do  not have a pump (I use Lantus). In my honest opinion, it isn't worth getting one because:

A. You still have to test your blood sugars at least 4 times a day and program it into the CGM

B. It absolutely can not get wet. Waterproof ones are available, but probably more expensive.

C. Insurance does not always cover a CGM, and can cost hundreds to have for just a month.

D. It is a little bulky -about the size of a deck of cards.

E. The sensor has to be changed every three days.

F. You must plug in your fasting blood sugars and wait an hour before you can eat.

G. An alarm goes off if it's too high or too low and when it's been an hour since you plugged in your fasting blood sugars.

H. The one I have does not show me my blood sugar levels. It has to be taken to my doctor's office to print out its readings.

Of course, there are different makes and brands, so maybe the one I have isn't the best.