CGMS' in Canada

(system) #1

Since I'm one of the lucky few who has benefits at work and for some reason always get multiple meters for free...every two weeks when my mom stops in to get me needles or whatever I need(she's always there daily to check her mailbox anyways, and I'm too busy during the day usually to go) they try to give her another meter for me!

I was thinking about trying out a CGMS, if I can get one through the pharmacy for free..but I know nothing about the actual brands and I'm a little hesitant since I'm not a pumper and I don't like the idea of the pump(but since this won't be giving me insulin..I don't think I will have as much of a piss-time with dealing with it haha)...the whole needle always in me is a little scary to me haha. I assume it's the same rules where you disconnect before getting into the water, having sex, etc?

I read a bit about them online but I couldn't find a lot of actual information when I googled "CGMS"..just personal accounts which isn't what I was really looking for. Do you have to have your endo write a prescription for you in Canada, or is this something I can go to the pharmacy, get one, and then take to the diabetic team at the hospital to show me how to use it?

Since I heard about them, I've thought it might be a good idea to try it out, since I'm pretty bad at remembering to test 2hours after I eat now that I'm carb-counting and only taking Novorapid when I eat..which is usually only eat 1-2meals a day, and maybe a snack inbetween or before bed(unless I'm really hungr that day and then I'll eat more)..I don't actually test as often as I did(though I try my best to remember to and some days are better than others) when I was on fixed doses for breakfast hour, lunch hour and dinner hour.

(Dylan404) #2

Hey batts, 

When I got my new pump (the mini-med paradigm) all I had to do to get a CGM was call up mini med and order them. They were willing to give me a trial batch (which contained 4, so worth about $200), but only after I bought the other necessary hardware to use the CGM (something like $700).

Once you have decided what CGM you want, I think they will send a nurse educator to you (that was my experience). The educator came to my house for a couple hours, gave me a lesson as well as some reading for future reference, and got the CGM going. The company had it pretty well organized.

I actually had trouble with my first batch of CGM's, but it turned out the cause was that my pump couldn't receive the data properly. I just finished using one, however, and it was honestly so helpful. I kept it running for 6 days, and over that period I was probably out of range only 4 times. I will definitely be investing in some more!

Hope that helps,

Dylan  

(system) #3

[quote user="Dylan"]

Hey batts, 

When I got my new pump (the mini-med paradigm) all I had to do to get a CGM was call up mini med and order them. They were willing to give me a trial batch (which contained 4, so worth about $200), but only after I bought the other necessary hardware to use the CGM (something like $700).

Once you have decided what CGM you want, I think they will send a nurse educator to you (that was my experience). The educator came to my house for a couple hours, gave me a lesson as well as some reading for future reference, and got the CGM going. The company had it pretty well organized.

I actually had trouble with my first batch of CGM's, but it turned out the cause was that my pump couldn't receive the data properly. I just finished using one, however, and it was honestly so helpful. I kept it running for 6 days, and over that period I was probably out of range only 4 times. I will definitely be investing in some more!

Hope that helps,

Dylan  

[/quote]

Thanks for the info Dylan.

Are CGMS' only available if you have a pump do you know??

(Dylan404) #4

I'm fairly sure there are CGM's that are separate from the pump, but I don't know what brands they are. 

(BrianPQuinn) #5

Medtronic has the real time system which is exclusive of the pump. However, if you have the paradigm pump you would not need the separate unit. Dexcom with the Dexcom 7 has one separate sensor and the Freestyle Navigator is the other CGMS unity out there. Medtronic is the only company with the integrated system for now.

(system) #6

[quote user="Brian"]

Medtronic has the real time system which is exclusive of the pump. However, if you have the paradigm pump you would not need the separate unit. Dexcom with the Dexcom 7 has one separate sensor and the Freestyle Navigator is the other CGMS unity out there. Medtronic is the only company with the integrated system for now.

[/quote]

I like freestyle's products, so I think I'll take a look into that one. I'm not planning on ever going on a pump, so having an intergrative option isn't a bonus for me.

Thanks Brian :)