Charcot Foot

(slkboston) #1

I never even  knew  what this was until I was told I had it.

What is Charcot Foot?

(FootPhysicians.com)
Charcot foot is a sudden softening of the bones in the foot that can occur in people who have significant nerve damage (neuropathy). The bones are weakened enough to fracture, and with continued walking the foot eventually changes shape. As the disorder progresses, the arch collapses and the foot takes on a convex shape, giving it a rocker-bottom appearance, making it very difficult to walk. 

Charcot foot is a very serious condition that can lead to severe deformity, disability and even amputation. Because of its seriousness, it is important that patients with diabetes—a disease often associated with neuropathy—take preventive measures and seek immediate care if signs or symptoms appear.

Does ANYONE out there have it or know someone who does?  It's different from Charcot Marie Tooth (but similar)???  I feel like I'm the only one in the world, especially my age (32), that does.

(LarryM) #2

Hi Shanon,

You are not alone. I developed this condition in 1993, after nearly 30 years as a type 1. I fractured the navicular bone in my foot. It took several weeks in a supportive shoe to fuse together, and I wore special shoes for a few years to avoid stress and additional fracture.

Now, however, although my foot is somewhat deformed, I no longer have the condition. I attirbute this to better BG control, improved circulation in my feet and reduced peripheral neuropathy. I am careful to avoid foot stress just in case, so I don't run or jump. But I do walk, ride a bike and ride horses without issue, as these are non-impact and provide the good leg exercise I need for my circulation and heart health.

If you have already suffered a fracture, take the time to let it heal. Hopefully today they can put things back in the right place before it does. Then adapt your activities to protect the bones while you work on the issues that caused the condition in the first place.

Larry