Debating on getting a pump or not

(Samantha) #1

I am coming up on my first year mark and I was considering getting a pump, I don’t know how i feel about it because I am still in high school and I don’t want something holding me back. I still have Homecoming and prom and i don’t want a huge lump in my dress… lol anyone have any tips?

(Jess) #2

If you decide to get one, get one that uses the Dexcom G6 sensor. I would stay away from Medronics (from personal experience).

(Dennis J. Dacey, PwD) #3

Hi Samantha @Yellowbailey17, pumping insulin continuously is certainly one of your many choices for managing your diabetes yet pumping is not for everyone. A couple of the reasons I began pumping at the beginning of the century after having managed my diabetes by several different means for 47 years are:

• Many fewer intrusions into my body with many types of needles - implanting an infusion point about 122 times a year as opposed to about 2,100 needle pokes;
  • Continuous pumping more closely mimics the natural body function - and a pump when properly adjusted works well;
  • A pump affords much greater flexibility in meal time scheduling - unlike the rigid meal time influenced by a once or twice daily background / basal insulin injections, with a pump background insulin can be managed on hourly [or shorter] scheduling.

These are the three principal reasons I switched to a pump. As to which pump you may choose there is much discussion posted on here during the past year - enter “pump” in the search box top right. To date, I’ve used only MiniMed / Medtronic pumps which I have found work very well and I’ve received very good customer care, but as my pump warranty has expired I’m exploring other options - you will see my next choice, and the reasons why, posted elsewhere on TypeOneNation. There currently are three brands approved for use in the US, and a few other innovations that will come to market in the not too distant future - do your research and ask your medical care providers. One endocrinologist who I’ve met [he has had TypeOne for 52 years] says he has better diabetes management without a pump - so there are options for you.

This link is to a “Topic Line” from earlier this year discussing how to decide if a pump is for you. Deciding on my first pump! I’d love to hear from pumpers

(Taylor) #4

Hi! I got my pump my senior year of high school and was worried about the same things you were. Ultimately, I decided I wanted to quit taking shots and I knew it was going to be a better decision for me with college coming up (I didn’t want to have to worry about scheduling my lantus shots while out with friends and enjoying college). What I have found is almost no one notices I’m wearing a pump unless I point it out. I have an omni pod( a completely wireless pump that sticks to you with adhesive). When I know I’m wearing something tighter I place my pump on my thigh and then it’s a lot less noticeable then on your stomach or back with something tight! Depending on your endo, they may let you do a trial run with a pod filled with solution not insulin to test out how you feel about having a pump on constantly. Let me know if you have any other questions and good luck!

(Samantha) #5

thank you so much for your response it really gives me a lot to think about! just wondering when you put it on your thigh where do you put it exactly

(Samantha) #6

thank you for your response it gives me a lot to think about

(joe) #7

@Yellowbailey17 hi Samantha
if you pump and want to go back on Lantus/fast acting MDI you take your pump off and go back on shots. it’s called a “Pump Holiday”.

you can inject long acting insulin and just use your pump and infusion site for if you eat something… mind that this “works” or is less clumsy with pumps such as Tandem or Medtronic. and won’t be of benefit for Omnipod. you keep your pump in your purse, if you eat something you bolus for your food using the infusion set already in you… then disconnect the pump and put it back in your purse… this is called hybrid pumping. the infusion set is a tiny band-aid looking thing when the pump isn’t connected.

you are either “tied down” by wearing a pump, or you are “tied down” by a relentless shot of long acting you can’t do anything about… it’s your choice.

good luck have fun at prom.

(Taylor) #8

I have fairly muscular legs but I have found it works really well on the side of my thigh like right under where your Jean pocket is or even within that pocket since I have a lititle more weight there. I also met a girl in college who put hers on the front of her thigh and liked it there but I personally haven’t had success with that. I also like to switch it up and put it on the back of my arm in the fall/winter since clothes are a little bulkier and it gives my tummy a break.

(Samantha) #9

@Tee25 okay thank you!!

(Samantha) #10

@Joe thank you that is really helpful and sounds like something I would use!

(Cydney) #11

Hi! I am also in high school currently and have thought about a lot of those potential problems. I was diagnosed in the middle of seventh grade and got a pump going into my eighth grade year. For me, I didn’t even contemplate getting a pump because I knew I wanted to get off of shots all the time. Being somewhat forgetful, my pump is so helpful because I don’t have to worry about carrying my kit around with my needles and pens and leaving it places. Also, I could snack more wothout shots which made me happier :slight_smile: In the subject of dresses and how my pump works with that, I always wear spandex underneath so I can clip my pump to it. I typically wear flowier and looser dresses so you really can’t distinctly see my pump and I haven’t had trouble with it at any dances. The only difficulty with a pump and dresses is getting to it to dose. Typically I go to the restroom to dose.

Overall, my pump really makes things easier for me and I don’t have to worry about not having an alcohol wipe or extra needles. Also, it is much more discreet and you don’t need to worry about making a scene in a restaurant giving yourself a shot.

Hopefully this was helpful but if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

(colleendawes) #12

Hey lady! Excited for a big decision for you here. I got married two years ago and had my pump under my wedding dress. I wore an OmniPod, so I never had to take the pump out to dose/bolus; the PDM is like a remote controller you can carry around in a purse or small bag.

I recently switched pumps to Medtronic 670g - the closed-loop pump - and I’ve noticed I’m a lot healthier, a lot more in control of my magically stable sugar levels. It’s annoying to have a pump with tubing, in my opinion, because you have to take the pump out itself (instead of that remote PDM/controller) to bolus. So when I wear my Medtronic with a dress, I either tuck it in my neckline of my dress, or I wear spandex or FlipBelts to hide it underneath. We all do it!

What I’d tell you is that your health is #1 - not your homecoming or prom dress. In fact, I see a lot of teens proudly posting on instagram with the #showmeyourpump tags, and it makes me really proud to see that. Think about it, your T1D is every single day, day after day, and prom is just one night. It’s better to invest in the 24/7 solution instead of worry about the 1/365.

If you do go with a pump, also know you can bedazzle and dress up your cover. Check out instagram for all those #T1D related hashtags to see how other girls like you are werking it. :smiley:

(Dennis J. Dacey, PwD) #13

Hi Colleen @colleendawes, I’m really happy to hear of your success with the 670G and that you now feel healthier.
Maybe you could educate me - is there a remote for the 670G not connected to you by tubing? I’ve had a remote control [or rather my wife has had a remote] for the three MiniMed/Medtronic model pumps I’ve had. The remote, which came with my first pump set and is compatible with my successor models, is rather small [fits in the palm of her hand] and can bolus, suspend or restart the pump. Just don’t leave the remote around where some “clown” visiting may pick it up and very stupidly/ignorantly suspend your pump.

(dobers) #14

I switched to a pump at the start of this year (Omnipod) and could not be happier. I combined the pump with the Dexcom CGM. My A1C has finally come down to where my doctor is happy and I feel like I’m managing my diabetes a lot better. Good luck!

(Annie) #15

Hi! I’ve been diabetic for almost a decade and I wore a two piece dress and flaunted my insulin pump! It’s better to just show it off then to pretend it doesn’t exist

(Kylie) #16

Getting an insulin pump was the greatest decision I ever made as a type 1. After getting the pump I never looked back. I have been a type 1 for 12 years and I got the insulin pump as soon as I could. It makes snacking so much easier! I used to buy clothes to hid it because I was self conscious, but I realized that it’s a part of me and there is nothing to be embarrassed about when the device is helping to keep me alive. When I wear dresses I either clip my pump on the shoulder strap of my dress or use a leg band that makes it invisible. Even if you decide that the pump isn’t for you don’t let peoples lack of awareness for type 1 affect you :smile:

(Helen) #17

Hi Samantha! I am 36 and was diagnosed on 8/8/18. I am actually going for my pump training for the 670G Medtronic insulin pump tomorrow. I am nervous but excited. But as for your dress, you can wear a garter type belt and wear it on your leg if you are concerned. Good luck to you!

(vliekgo269) #18

Hi Samantha! I have been on the pump for almost 20 years and love it. Im on the Tandem pump with Dexcom blood sugar monitor. The Tandem is a really nice compact size and hardly noticeable. Most of your friends will hardly notice it, and if they do most will just be curious about it. Your close friends will think its cool. It is also less hassle than carry all the supplies like shots, insulin and so on. You can do this kido, good luck with what ever you decide.

(Becca) #19

I’m also looking into pumps, why would you stay away from this certain pump?

(Julia) #20

I was on the fence for years about getting an insulin pump for reasons similar to this. The cool thing about an insulin pump though is that it actually makes you fell LESS tied down because it almost does all the work for you. If you do happen to wear clothing to a formal event and don’t want your pump to show, you can just take it off for the duration of the event. I have a Tandem insulin pump and taking it off for a bit is so simple. Get a pump because it will change your life.