Dexcom G5 mobile

(ronald) #1

Can anyone introduce to me what to expect if I partner with a Dexcom G5 mobile cgm regarding basil corrections? I am 47 and been diagnosed t1d, a little over a year and I am currently considering pump therapy with the Omnipod.
I understand the basics behind the cgm. However, recognizing my desire to stay in an acceptable range more consistently, how would I expect to dose my insulin in between meals to correct for highs and lows based on my blood sugar readings introduced to me from the cgm?
Any insight is greatly appreciated.

(davyboy) #2

How did you ever get Type 1 at the age of 46? That sounds incredible. I don’'t know what Omnipod offers, but other pump manufacturers provide for extended bolus or maybe even delayed bolus. You will have to learn how your own body digests protein and fat, which do not spike upward like carbs do. Protein takes a while to digest, and fat even longer. You will need to also learn how much impact the two have on your insulin needs. Some people estimate that 2 grams of protein have the impact of one gram of carbs and take an extended bolus for that, or adjust their basal rate accordingly.

Since you don’t yet have a pump, know that Medtronic was approved to sell the first stab at an artificial pancreas (AP). You can read about that on this site, and contact them for more information. In addition, there are DIY organizations who are colluding to create the equivalent of an AP. OpenAPS (https://openaps.readthedocs.io/en/latest/) is one. Another site is http://www.diabettech.com/looping-a-guide/.

(jmurphy115) #3

Ronald, be careful not to stack to many bolus shots on top of each other, even with the Dexcom. I tried to do that and it is just a roller coaster waiting to happen. I have had type1 for 30 years and the Dexcom is by far the best tool. It takes time to learn to make the proper adjustments. For sure you should try to adjust, but just be careful, and start with conservative #'s to start. Your blood sugar is not going to be perfect. My problem would be trying to correct for every little # over 140 and then forgetting all the other factors in play and then having a lot of lows because of this over correction(stacking of bolus). It is great to keep a log of what you are doing, so you know what happened. Have you read any books ? Pumping Insulin and Think Like a Pancreas, or two that I would recommend.

(Dennis J. Dacey, PwD) #4

Ronald,
As Jim says, watch out for stacked boluses, and remember that the bolus is infused on top of your already infusing basal. Stacked insulin is the quickest way to get yourself in serious [unresponsive] trouble. One of the first things you will need to determine is when insulin reaches its pinnacle effectiveness FOR YOU and how long it remains active in YOUR BODY. We are all different in these two areas and the effectiveness and duration listed in the brochure is “on average”. I’ve learned that I’m not at all average.

During my 60 years using several different insulins, I’ve found that my body is continuing to change in how it utilizes insulin I infuse or inject. When I first used Humalog, April 1996 - the month FDA approved its use, I never took a bolus until AFTER I began a meal because I found it worked within five minutes; now Humalog reaches its peek in me a few hours after administration.

Another point, if or when you begin using a pump - I really like my pumps - you may not need any bolus except when you eat or have an infection or some other illness. The reason is because you have the ability to customize your basal rates to match your body’s insulin needs. I have about nine different basal flow rates over the course of a day, and all the pumps I’ve used have the option of three different basal patterns from which I choose to match my expected daily activity. I periodically “validate” my basal rates by going extended periods of time without eating [say 6 PM until lunch the following day to validate overnight rates] and monitor frequently to make sure my BG stays between 100 and 150.

(Cjohnson202) #5

First time poster!

I am actually in the process of getting the Dexcom G5, just waiting for my insurance to approve it, which should be any day.

Ronald, I’m currently Using the omnipod. With this, you can click bolus and it comes up with a screen asking your blood sugar. Currently without the G5, you would be inserting the test strip and testing your sugar directly on the pdm, which gives you your blood sugar. With the G5, instead of pricking your finger, you would just type in your current reading that you’re viewing on your phone / receiver… From there, the Omnipod would do the rest, giving you your correction / dose based on your current reading and how many carbs you are intaking.

Nothing to fear!

(jmurphy115) #6

Dennis,…NICE TO HEAR THAT STORY ABOUT NOT EATING… I did the same along time ago when I was just starting Lantus and wanted to see how long Lantus would act in my body and make sure I was on the best dosage. However this was before the DEXCOM, so I had to prick my finger every hour for 24 hours with no eating… but it worked.
I would also check out the new pump called TSlim. This is a pump that does have a hose, but to connect and disconnect is so simple and it never gets in the way of anything I do. I like it because it is connected and I don’t have to worry about losing a device or not having my phone with me.

(ronald) #7

I want to thank everyone for their insight regarding this life changing decision. I still have a lot of research of my own to do but, your willingness to share your life experiences here, has been invaluable. Thank you.
Ron