Dexcom G6- applicator wouldn’t remove and needle didn’t retract

(Tommy) #1

I just got my first G6 delivery and I did everything and when I went to press the button I felt it go in but the applicator wouldn’t come off. We left it and it hurt very bad for some reason well we got alcohol wipes to get the adhesive off and take it off from there because it wouldn’t budge and hurt when touched. When we took it off we saw the needle was still out- it hasn’t retracted but was stuck so that is why the applicator didn’t release. I will admit I put it on my arm although it says stomach- but was told by my hospital that I could (that was back at G5) I was wondering if G6 won’t permit that or how to stop the issue.

(Dennis J. Dacey, PwD) #2

Hi Tommy @tsanders2002, just out of curiosity, what did the DexCom people have to say about this issue - especially failure of the insertion needle to retract? I’ve found the DexCom “caregivers / training” people extremely helpful.
As this may be a safety issue, it should be reported to the manufacturer; and possibly to the government.

(Tommy) #3

Hi Dennis, so I got a call back from Dexcom and they said they were extremely sorry and that it was very unusual and only had happened to two people in 2000, so needless to say they will replace it and said it won’t happen again. I managed to put another on my other arm- it worked and was very pain free. Thank you so much

(Dennis J. Dacey, PwD) #4

Tommy, you and I both hope “it won’t happen again”.
Do you need help getting it in your arm or has the inserter been streamlined for one hand use? I got my wife to learn how to insert the two-handed G5.

(Tommy) #5

So it has been made really nicely actually, you pull off the adhesive and press a button and it does it for you. I got it working in the other arm so it was a fluke. Thank you so much for all of your help!

(Karrie) #6

I also had one that didn’t completely deploy 10 days ago when applying it to my 10 year old daughter’s back. It happened about 2 weeks ago and Dexcom told us the same thing. They did have us send the package back to them so they could analyze it.