In answer to your query, I would say that I have become more effective at certain things than I would have been otherwise:
1. I am a much more efficient user of profanity.
2. I question the media greatly about everything I hear. I wonder how media reports and "facts" affect others.
3. I consider how my life is spent a great deal...I don't know if I would do this to the same extent if I weren't type 1.
4. When someone says he or she is on a diet, I cringe. For me, a diet is a life-altering and mind-boggling venture.
5. Certain smells, such as isopropyl alcohol, or hospitals, are immediately evocative to me.
6. I would probably be the same size as my genetic ancestor. She inadvertently raised me to think and feel the same way about food as she does. She currently struggles, as she has her whole life, to reach a stable weight. Because of type 1, I have not yet reached the physical state she is currently suffering with.
7. I am very sympathetic to people who are thirsty. It is almost unbearable to hear a child say she or he is thirsty.
8. I am very cautious about what I say around children. I know how destructive words can be.
9. I understand that painful moments will pass.
10. I understand that terrifying moments, or moments with anger, or moments with joy, are temporary because the only absolute in life, especially with feelings, is change.
11. I have a hatred for insurance companies that I would not have known otherwise. I see the root of their evil clearly. I have great compassion for all people with hidden and over disabilities who must argue with the ignorant to sustain their lives.
12. If I ever worked in a receptionist or nurse position, I would treat those in my care with gentleness and respect, even if they had insurance that marked them as low income.
13. If I worked in a Department of Social Services office, I would treat each person as if he or she mattered because each person does.
14. I have less sympathy for the wealthy of this world who complain about a less fluffy existence and do nothing to help their fellow human being.
15. I feel, absolutely, and in a way that I may or may not have felt without type 1, that all people should be allowed to express themselves within their own space as they so choose.
16. I think I feel more strongly that all human beings should be allowed to exist on their own terms and have their boundaries respected. In this, I mean that no other person should declare the value or worthlessness of another's ideas. Let each express as he or she chooses in her own space.