Diabetic's Bill of Rights

(stilledlife) #1

I would like to see a section dedicated to laws affecting diabetics on National levels

While ADA's diabetes.org has this information, I believe having it available as many places as possible would be benefit the diabetic community.

Reading (specially the "middle schooler" post) made me realize that these juveniles don't know their rights. And even though I do, I still worry about work and insurance coverage rights.

Perhaps having a laws or Rights section dedicated by the Age based groups  would be possible. Children and parents need to know and have easy access to Section 504 Plan and the Diabetes Medical Management Plan as well as access to an easy for teens to use Individuals with disabilities Ed act.

The Parents section should also have access to a step by step IDEA guide for helping out their young ones when they discover a problem.

Perhaps just an entire resource section called the Diabetic's Bill of Rights we could have written up with links to important info.

We'll... it sounds like a project, but it could always start small.

Thanks for reading.

(stilledlife) #2

Or it could also make for a searchable blog

(Gina) #3

You are 100% right. This should be made accessible to a lot more websites, blogs, .orgs. I will find out from the jdrf what we can do on here. Until then you posted it in the forum where a lot of people can find it! Great Job!

(Brianna) #4

Hey, so i just read section 504, and i had absolutely no clue we had all these rights and stuff. This was very helpful =)

(aliciajw) #5

Thank-You so much for this! I am a Teacher who is a Type1 Diabetic and one of my students was just diagnosed! This will help us out so much!

(caras mom) #6

I know that plan 504 only applies in the states.  I don't believe that there is anything like this in Canada.  If there is anything like the 504 or anyone trying to start something in Canada like the 504 I would love to get involved or a least hear what is going on with it.

(system) #7

this was the only site that mentioned a 504 plan in canada: http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/504/

but it's only for grades 6 and 7...which is kinda weird. I'd probably just check with the school your daughter will be attending to see if they require this type of plan.

From my knowledge, I didn't need anything throughout elementary school, my mom just had to come in and talk to the class every year about it til grade 5, the teachers were informed before school started each year as well. In highschool the school knew from my registration information and I just had to let my teachers know I had it and that was it.

I think it's a little more slack in certain parts of Canada?

edit

http://www.diabetes.ca/get-involved/helping-you/advocacy/kids-in-school/ some info about it i found by googling a bit more. apparently we get no special treatment by law which is why we dont have 504 plans. there seems to be SOMETHING going on to work on that though.

(megg) #8

You know what i don't get is why they won't let me have a 504 plan. This doesn't hurt the disrict one bit if anything it helps them keep a good reputation.AHHHHHHHHH it makes me so mad how STUPID our superintendant is to things especially this kind of thing. I have passed out once  and don't really wanna do it again you know?? They also told my mom the only way i could get one is if i win in court of fail sat act of taks......

(stilledlife) #9

Megg,

I'm sorry to hear about this. Texas is not held to the same  standards as all the other states. the Texas Federation of Teachers lobbied and changed the laws in your state.

Have your parents read this and see the specifics in the laws and what you can do to get some help.

http://tx.aft.org/index.cfm?action=article&articleID=c0b2627a-f3c3-425f-b64f-94cd979f4743

These amendments do not state that you can't have a 504, just that it has to be amended to the specifics of your state.

good luck

(OmniUser) #10

Thank for all this, good to know laws protect/help us!

(BrookeAH) #11

Thank you so much for the info - We'll be using for next year!

(stanandkathie) #12

I have never heard of a 504 plan until I read this.  This makes me feel better about sending my daughter to school.  I was wondering, however, if this applies to public and private schools?  I want to send my daughter to private school but I need to know if she will have the same rights.  I am trying to do what is best for her but I am struggeling with the decision.

(stilledlife) #13

Hello Kathie,

Good questions. I looked them up and found this-

The Section 504 applies to all public schools and to private schools that receive federal funds. For schools that receive federal funds it is also obligatory for them to follow Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act. However if your school receives no federal funding, then they only follow Title III of the ADA which prohibits discrimination in places of public accommodations. This means that they can't turn away your application on grounds of disability.

For a better understanding the Attorney General explains it here: http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/foia/tal690.txt

Most importantly when looking into a school is knowing what you want from the school. Your child sounds young, so no matter what school she goes to you need to ask-

• Will someone be willing to help with injections?
  • Will someone be willing to administer glucogon?
  • Will they allow her access to her glucometer?
  • Is someone on campus willing to learn diabetes education for the benefit/ safety of your child?

It is our job to know what you want from the school and to ask for it, whether it is a private school of a public one. =) I've never been handed a 504, it is something we gotta give them.

(stilledlife) #14

Because I am definitely not a law pro call these ppl-

For a great resource call the ADA's National Call Center (1-800-DIABETES) open 8am-8pm est.

They'll send you info/pamphlets as well as

• refer you to an ADA recognized provider/education seminar in your area;
  • assist in connecting you with the appropriate local resources in your area;
  • assist people who face discrimination based on diabetes;
  • inform you of local ADA events and programs, and volunteer opportunities;
  • process your personal donation or contribution.

http://www.diabetes.org/aboutus/call-center.jsp

good stuff!

(stanandkathie) #15

Thanks so much for the great advice.  I called the private school that I am interested in today and they told me that they are on the federal food program but they weren't sure about other federal funding.  I also asked them if they had a school nurse and if I would be able to make an appointment to meet with her before filling out any registration papers.  She told me they do not have a nurse on staff.  I thought this was odd but what do I know?

(stilledlife) #16

A lot of people here are from Canada so I looked up and some of the information on Canada’s accessibility laws specifically for schools because this forum has taken a turn in that direction.
In truth, as far as I have read- there are none.
There are no blanket laws there for chronic illnesses in Canadian schools. Canadians are not able to implement legislation on schools and demand that all province follow through “or else,” because education funding works much differently than in the US.
Most schools throughout the country deal with diabetes in one of two ways—they either have parents sign an “Administering Medicine in Schools” form or have them complete an Individual Support Services Plan (ISSP). Neither of these forms truly outlines the responsibilities, needs, and roles of the school, the parent or the student.

In some ways Canada has a lot of work on the consistency of help for diabetics in school. If you really want to get involved here are some places to start!

First go to the The Canadian Diabetes Association for the perfect place to get involved and become an advocate.

And check out this page http://www.diabetes.ca/get-involved/helping-you/advocacy/kids-in-school/ for more information on school.

This is another alternative called Diabetes Advocacy.com for Canada.

So for in school, the best thing to do is to be involved and work closely with your school to insure you have and can get what you need in order to succeed! Ask these groups if they can help you put together presentations for school so you can teach as many people as possible  about diabetes so there will me that many more people looking out for you and for a cure!

(rmatthew) #17

I think there should be a bill of right for canada

(stilledlife) #18

Children with diabetes require medical care to remain healthy. The need for medical care does not end while the child is at school. Thus, while at school, each child with diabetes must be allowed to:

1. Do blood sugar checks
  2. Treat hypoglycemia with emergency sugar
  3. Inject insulin when necessary
  4. Eat snacks when necessary
  5. Eat lunch at an appropriate time and have enough time to finish the meal
  6. Have free and unrestricted access to water and the bathroom
  7. Participate fully in physical education (gym class) and other extracurricular activities, including field trips

I found this on children with diabetes.com I believe that these are fair requests that parents should have from any learning institute that they trust their children with. This Bill of Rights don't require knowing the laws or even having laws- just the knowledge of what a diabetic needs to live a healthy life.

(Anonymous) #19

just bumping lol I have a few thoughts on this but its too late for me to work it out (got to get to bed, so I'll reply in the morning) :D

(sarahslp) #20

Kathy,

I work at a private school. Fifteen percent of our students have special needs so they may receive state funding. But, we are not *required* to provide 504s or IEP's. We have never had a school nurse, but the rumor is that we may have to when we join the state associate of independent schools for accreditation. Does this school have accreditation?

My personal opinion is that, legally, you are safer at a public school b/c they are forced to follow so many federal and state laws. However, a major plus of private schools is that they may be smaller and more flexible. There are only 220 kids at my school, so I know most of them and would go out of my way to help them. When I worked at a public school, I was so overwhelmed w/ paperwork that I mostly only interacted w/ the kids on my caseload (I'm a speech pathologist), esp. on my busiest days.

-S