Diet

(kristin2583) #1

I am looking for information on the types of diets that were used when Type I are pregnant. I have been searching the internet but not finding a lot of good information.  I was wondering if anyone on here would be willing to share?  I have come to the conclusion that to keep my sugars as close to normal and within the parameters given that I will not be able to eat sweets, chips, pizza, etc.   Can anyone provide an example of the diet that they ate when pregnant?

(DocHam) #2

It depends on how sophisticated you are and your approach to therapy. I ate whatever I wanted, when I wanted. It takes foresight and progressively longer lag times. I used Symlin for my last two trimesters and it made a tremendous difference as I became more and more insulin resistant. One tool that I think is key for diabetes management during pregnancy is CGM. It lets you know all of the time both what your blood glucose is (if you have the real-time CGMS) and the direction in which it is headed.It makes dietary selection much easier. But it takes tenacity.

(sarahslp) #3

People I know were told to go off symlin for pregnancy. That's great you got to use it.

I think there isn't much info on food during a D pregnancy b/c it depends. The 1st trimester, people tend to run low, but the 3rd, people tend to have extreme insulin resistance. But, it depends on the person. I friend of mine only had insulin resistance for 1 of her 4 pregnancies.

When I was pregnant, I ate healthier anyways for the baby. While, I basically ate anything, I avoided very high carb meals like pasta, pizza, cake b/c I worried about a post-meal spike. But, a few isolated spikes shouldn't cause a problem if you get them down quickly, so you'll experiment and see how foods affect you. My only major change was at breakfast b/c in pregnancy, women tend to have highs post breakfast. I was forced to eat very low carb and add in protein. I missed my cereal. (: