Dinner Ideas

(PEYTON) #1

Any good dinner ideas that are filling yet will not make blood sugar skyrocket?

(Dennis J. Dacey, PwD) #2

Certainly Peyton @pey543,
There are endless good dinners that are fully satisfying, enjoyable to eat and do not cause BGL [Body Glucose Level] to skyrocket provided you properly calculate the glucose, fat and other ingredients in the foods you are consuming and take the appropriate amount of insulin to “cover” what you eat.

I eat frequently at restaurants [did this more often when traveling] and somehow I have learned to live 60+ years living with diabetes while enjoying great food. Certainly I make mistakes when counting carbohydrates, especially when eating out, but I monitor my BGL frequently and by knowing my insulin sensitivity for different hours of the day I can effectively administer insulin to bring my BGL to an acceptable place or eat additional carbs if necessary. Only in rare circumstances will I take a correction dose of rapid-acting insulin less than four hours after a previous dose.

Peyton, Welcome to TypeOneNation, I hope to hear from you often. How long have you had diabetes, and what methods are you currently using to manage YOUR diabetes?

(Dennis J. Dacey, PwD) #3

Peyton @pey543 , what I hadn’t mentioned earlier and probably should have said.
Effective diabetes management [notice that I don’t say “control” because I don’t believe that T1D can be controlled] depends heavily on a not easily or consistent balance of food, activity and insulin - and as each of our bodies differ, our particular management ratios will also differ.
Add to those three “basic” variables we can add stress, emotions, weather, infection, etc. The “food, activity and insulin” will become almost second nature - that is why I said before that you could eat essentially anything and everything as long as you balance your meals with activities [some activities lower glucose levels while other activities increase BGL] and insulin, The other factors such as temperature, barometric pressure, stress and emotions just add “complications” to our self-management of diabetes.

(Leah T1D since 2001) #4

I found a killer recipe for gazpacho, which is a vegetable soup, served cold. It almost sounds awful, but it’s really freakin’ good. It is also VERY filling, oddly, and it’s all veggies, fruit (lemon juice), herbs and a wee bit of red wine vinegar. For most of it, there are low sodium options available. Ya know what? I’ll just post it here:

Gazpacho (at least 2 Cups per serving)

28 oz. canned diced tomatoes
3 Cups tomato juice
2 1/2 Cups cucumbers, peeled and diced (i take the seeds out before dicing and puree the seeds, i feel they add a good flavor)
1/2 Cup carrots, peeled and diced (I puree these as well)
3/4 Cup each of Red and Green Bell Peppers (surprise! this is pureed, too)
1/2 red onion (i saute this with the garlic and then PUREE!!!)
2 garlic cloves (saute and then puree)
1/3 Cup red wine vinegar (I split this between red wine and balsamic for flavor)
1/3 Cup lemon juice
1/4 Cup each fresh oregano, basil and Italian parsley chopped (I use 1 1/2 Tbsp of dry oregano and basil, and about half a cup of fresh parsley pieces, chopped/minced)
1 tsp Paprika (try using smoked paprika!)
1/4 tsp white pepper
add tabasco sauce to taste (or not)

This is currently one of my favorite recipes and it is PERFECT for warm weather! It’s closely based on a recipe I found in my husband’s abandoned P90X Nutrition Plan book, just FYI. So, not my own. I have also found some savory herb combos from McCormick’s that are fantastic on fish!!

(emily) #5

I just recently discovered this tortillas made by the brand Mission that are only 4 net carbs! I’ve made eggs with them, replaced bread in sandwiches with them, and for dinner, tacos! they are delicious and won’t cause blood sugar spikes!