Direction?

(liwaenahari) #1

So, here we are. In this group. And we're all here for...something.... But what? I'm certainly not here to impose, but I'm not here to sit idly by, either.... I know I can't let CHLjoe have all the fun! ;)

Socrates once said of religion: "There are two paths: discourse, and shouting. One leads to enlightened understanding, and a fuller knowledge of the true Order, the other leads to anger, resentment, and rejection of the Right, and the Good."

Though he was not, himself, an orthodoxy man, I do believe he's hit the heart. And I look forward to a discourse in this group that helps us all to understand, better and fuller, the knowledge of the Right and the Good that governs our lives.

To Gina, t

Thanks for creating this group! It's a good idea, especially in light of recent events.

To Joe,

I look forward to butting heads, man. But I'm gonna try and keep it less personal, too. Touche, and good luck.

(CHLjoe) #2

I didn't take anything personally.  No worries there.

(Maikuru) #3

Why don't we start with introductions and how our diabetes as influenced our spiritual, philosophical, and religious pursuits.  Where we are in our beliefs and how we got there would be a great way to open some topics up in my humble opinion. What do you all think?

(Maikuru) #4

Silence is a perilous reality........

(BrianPQuinn) #5

Maybe the silence was each person praying on their responses...

I can tell you that my being a diabetic has had a huge influence on my life and spirituality. I can't be 100% sure of this, but I think part of my vocation comes from around when I was first diagnosed with type one diabetes. I am very grateful though for certain things that influenced me when i am feeling down. The lord has truly helped me overcome bouts of irritation and depression. When I was truly in a rut in my life, I know that my turning to him in prayer and asking for help, that I was able to get through this rut. Not to mention when I have had some major lows and have barely functioned my prayers for help go out to my mother (Mary), until my sugar comes up enough to get my butt in gear and fix the low that I was experiencing. I am truly happy with how my life has shaped up and how my faith has helped me and inspired me to help those in need.

(Anonymous) #6

I usually steer clear from these types of discussions but I am trying to be more outgoing.

I was raised in a cult. Yep no lie. First let me say that I was never abused or mistreated. For the first part of my life I believed the most ridiculous nonsense because I did not know any better. When I found out that the stuff I was told was lies I was beyond hurt. I couldn't really blame the people who raised me because they didn't know any better themselves. After finding out that what I thought was normal was anything but I became obsessed with finding "truth". This more than anything else has shaped my philosophical beliefs and is the reason why I became a philosopher and minister.

There is no category to place me in, no church for me to attend, no religion I can claim. I believe in the divine (God), I observe sabbath, I will celebrate Hanukkah and then a week later celebrate Christmas. I accept historical Jesus through the writing of those who knew him, however I am not a christian and view much of The Torah and Bible in a mythological sense. I believe books, songs, poems are still being written to inspire us to tap into something greater than ourselves. I believe that I am a ball of energy/light here to shine as bright as I can. One day my bulb will burn out and I will begin to shine somewhere else, maybe in another form maybe not. This I do not know. I can only speculate.

You may think me an odd ball, a fluke, but you'd be surprised, I am not the only one. We are hard to find because we don't congregate. Most of us see philosophical values as private family affairs.  For the most part society call people like me Christian Anarchists. I don't believe in rules or laws except those I set for myself. I don't believe in any type of discrimination. I will sit with the grieving, the dying, regardless of their beliefs or lack of. I will marry gay people, I will marry atheists, I will council and console them and I will do it all with love and respect. Oh and I will never charge them. People need compassion, people need happiness, people need love. This is what the messiah's light has brought to my life and if I can do the same for one other person I think my journey here to this plane will be worth all the heartache and discomfort I've experienced regardless if they believe what I believe or not. 

(meme) #7

You are a bright light  on Juvenation Happy Vegan !

(ScottT) #8

I second Meme about Happy Vegan!

I for one found that T1 brought me much confusion and doubt.  I realized there are many answers to a single question, and that doubt was the foundation of truth.  In the end, I am spiritual, but not religious.  I don't like egocentric or ethnocentric beliefs.  I am not dogmatic about anything except that each one must decide and live by a set of rules - and those are arbitrary as well. 

I believe that the soul cannot exist without the body.  As such, when one dies they are dead.  Memories continue by speach and thought in life, but it is more "ashes to ashes, dust to dust."

From that standpoint, my T1 at a young age founded rapid realism as a philosophical foundation for me. You live as you do - probally more alined with Satre and his existentialism.

Anyway, I've said enough.

Scott 

(BrianPQuinn) #9

HV,

Your insight and wisdom astound me at times. While I have my own faith background, i can't fault any of what you just said. You make your own choices on beliefs and we if in any religion there is something we can take from it. I tend to believe most of what the Catholic Church teaches me, but I am not a 100% believer in all things. It is what makes us who we are, the ability to make our own decisions and choices.

(Maikuru) #10

That is amazing HV and you seem to have come a long way in your walk in this life as a result.  I myself was raised southern baptist christian. I got scarlet fever at six, this triggered an auto- immune reaction that lead to my development of my diabetes at the age of seven. My parents didn't know anything wa wrong with me and in the months before my seventh birthday i lost a lot weight and was very weak and sick all the time. My seventh birthday, 08/05/88 i barely had the strength to walk and eight days later on 8/13/88(my parents wedding anniversary) i went into a DKA comatoseand my heart stopped for about eight minutes. When i came back and regained conciousness i had to relearn how to do everything and spent months in the hospital trying to regain my strength and redevelop my abilitie and basic skills.  I watched children dying from cancer, diabetes, luekemia, heart conditions and that is when i began my spiritual walk as i like to say.  The doctors would run tests on me and never gave answers that would ever satisfy my questions. My parents were even less helpful. They were conviced demons/the devil was the reason or that god was punishing me for something i had done or would do.  When i went back to school, other children were scared of me and even their parents thought i might give them diabetes.  I was no longer a child but rather "that kid" or the sickness, diesease, the plague in the eyes of the world that i had grown up in. I  totally felt like i was being treated like i had leperosy.  So i spent most of my time growing up in books and in the library.  I had questions people didn't want to answer or even talk about.  If what people was saying was the truth then why did they avoid my questions, avoid me much less refuse to acknowledge what i was seeing and experiencing. I realized nobody knew what they were talking about.  But the answers had to be somewhere. I read every non-fiction book i could get my hands on in the schools libraries. Science, History, Religion, Philosophy, Occult, the Esoterics and Meta-physics but all seemed just to be giving pieces to a larger puzzle. At the age of fourteen i realized i could no longer believe in any deity that would torment and cause suffering to its creations much less be considered compassionate or something i would want to worship. I then began to part ways with my familyies tradtional beliefs.  I met my sensei playing hacky sack in a park with some friends one day.  He started to teach me martial arts and opend my mind to eastern philosophy and beliefs.  I discovered Taoism  and Shugendo. I ultimatley ended up being sort of a hermit spiritually having combined christian mysticism, taoism, buddhism and various philosophical beliefs to resolve the questions that had haunted me since the age of seven.  My spiritual life is one of a pursuit of all truth and the realization of the source.  My diabetes is just in my mind what was a part of that path for my soul in this life to craft me into the person i am today and to teach me the lesson i am here to learn.  I am not cursed, dieseased, weak or something to be avoided. In the words of my sensei Soga Kiyozashi"  I am just a tenacious, spunky old soul who had a lot to do and not much time to do it in."

(Anonymous) #11

Thank you all for your kind words and for sharing your views as well :)

(CHLjoe) #12

[quote user="Michael Nichols"]

Silence is a perilous reality........

[/quote]

I keep forgetting about this group because nobody used it for like a month.  My diabetes has nothing to do with my belief system.  I think people use religion as a crutch because humans have the need to justify everything and find an explanation for everything.  They have a hard time with thing they can't figure out.  I find it odd that people try to justify their belief system as correct and other as incorrect because actually they have no idea what happens when you die.  With all the different religions out there, someone is getting it wrong.

(ScottT) #13

CHLjoe,

I hear what you are saying.  Many times, people use drugs a a coping mechanism too.  I had a friend while in college that chose to hang with a group that liked to drink way too much - I did my fair share, he he wanted so bad to be cool, he would do almost anything.  The year of his graduation, we all attended his funeral.

My spiritual belief of not founded on diabetes, but it has shaped in so way what I will believe and won't believe,  I am not critical of anyone's belief or coping mechanism - so long as it's not invading my life. 

It is a leap of faith to believe in something: friends, ideas, g-d, and all the like.  It doesn't show weakness; it shows that one can go beyond material and move onto spiritual.  Whether I can do that is for me, but some see it as necessary.  That is fine. 

Like I said, you are born, you create your existence (soul) and you die.  Diabetes only plays a role in who you deal with it as part of your life.

(Sarah_0776) #14

The way I have always handled my diabetes has everything to do with my relationship with Christ. I invited God into my life when I was 8 years old, and then was diagnosed with T1 just a few months later at age 9. I think that at first, before my diagnosis, I was kind of just doing what I felt was expected of me from my parents, since I've been raised in a Christian environment my whole life. You know? But after my diagnosis, after almost not making it, I really grew closer to God and realized that I shouldn't take anything in my life for granted.

Since then, I've grown even closer to God- I constantly talk to Him and go to Him with my troubles and praises, I'm actively involved with my church youth group and helping out with the kids- and I'm continuing to grow every day. Whenever I'm having an off day (diabetes-wise or not), I take a moment (or several) to talk to God and try to get back on track.

I love serving the Lord by helping with the kids at my church, helping in my community, going on missions trips, and just being an example of Him in my everyday life.

So, I would say that my relationship with Christ plays a huge role in my life with diabetes. I honestly don't know how I could get through some of the things in life without His guidance.

(Maikuru) #15

That is really nice that your faith has helped you with both your diabetes and finding spiritual solace.  Living by example has obviously been a virtue you have taken to heart.  Do you find that faith helps resolve the issues you face emotionally and physically with your health and what you have witnessed in life? Are you able to resolve the questions that arise from what you have been through and expreinced with diabetes by expressing yourself with god?

(Sarah_0776) #16

Definitely. I rely on my faith when I'm having hard times (emotionally or physically). I can't say that there haven't been really tough times when I've kind of lost faith, but I always turn to God when I have problems, questions, or am trying to make a hard decision.

(Maikuru) #17

That is always a good thing to have in your life Sarah.  It reminds me of something my grandfather use to say as a matter of fact.  " Effort and hard work are often the offspring of the right motivations and a sturdy faith." Seeking what is sometimes beyond our means of understanding is the virtue of faith and the capacity of patience.