Do you do "extra" diabetes activities?

(nciganik) #1

We try to be involved as much as possible. Our thinking is the more involved we are the better our son will grow to care and take of himself.  Not to mention we do not have a very supportive family "it's just diabetes" so we feel the more we are involved the more we learn to do it on our own, and maybe someday they will get a little education from us and come around.

We are walking this year for the first time (diagnosed november 19th, 2008) We had a Golf outing, bake sale, yard sale and now a pop can drive the last week before the walk... we also have a website. Http://brandynsbouncers.webs.com

How involved are you? Does it help your family being involved?  Maybe we could all see what the others are doing and learn from each other. Just an idea.

(2boysmom) #2

This is our first walk as well (my son was diagnosed 12/8/08).  We had a ladies bingo night, carnival with silent auction, split the pot and raffles.  My sons also did a lemonade stand.

For me, volunteering and raising money makes me feel like I have a little control over something related to this disease.  It feels good to actually be doing something.  I will say though I feel even more though like I live and breathe this disease.  I am either caring for my son's diabetes or raising money/awareness ALL the time.

My extended family has been wonderful in providing ideas and soliciting donations.  I could not have done the two events without their help!

(sarahslp) #3

My Mom was very involved in JDF (now JDRF). But, what really meant a lot to me growing up is all the fundraising my maternal Grandmother did for them, esp b/c she was living far away and didn't have to be as involved. She died in 2003, and I still think about her little JDF cup she had in her kitchen to ask for money from friends to help her grand daughter. (: After they died, my Mom gave me an engraved bowl from JDF for her and my grandfather in honor of their years of dedicated volunteer service. It means a lot to me to have the bowl. I also have a letter my grandmother wrote to my mom in 1981, weeks after my diagnosis, saying that she knew we'd get through this tough time and allow me to live a fairly normal life.

I also remember my paternal grandmother practicing injecting an orange for days so that I could come spend the weekend with them even though I was too little to inject myself! I was probably 5 or so. Having "sleep-overs" with them definitely made me feel "normal" to do what my sisters could do.