Doctors

(anathia) #1

Okay, I had a bit of a surreal experience at the doctor's office on my last visit. 

I should preface this with, I like my doctor, respect his knowledge, am very pleased with him.

He walked into the room I was in, and started talking about gastric bypass surgery to fix my blood sugar fluctuations.  As I stared in incomprehension, he continued to explain it.  (I should say, I've never had any bad symptoms--no neuropathy, no kidney problems, no vision or circulation--nothing. I had amazing early education as a child.)  Anyway, as he progressed, and as I filled out the questionairre, that, according to him, would give me a free surgery for gastric bypass because it was a test study, I was kind of wigged out.  I asked the nurse, and she saw how I was responding on the form, and said, "Oh, you filled out 'no' on all these questions. If you do that, they won't consider you for this study." 

I slowly comprehended that the doctor may have 1) been trying to sell equipment, perhaps wasn't as interested in whether his patient may need it or not; or 2) forgotten which patient I was.  

Has anyone had a similar experience?  As I said, I don't want to make him sound bad because he's a very good doctor.  Is there profit in diabetes for large corporations and physicians?

(katie.clark) #2

First, is this doctor an endocrinologist?

Second, I had heard of a study where they found that immediately after gastric bypass surgery, the people with diabetes required little or no insulin or medications for blood glucose control.  However, it was for type 2 diabetes.   Here is a link to an article about the study http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/03/080305113659.htm

Maybe there is a new study out about type 1 and gastric bypass, but I haven't heard of anything.   Might be a good post to the Research & Technology Rumors group here on juvenation.org.

[quote user="Ana"]Is there profit in diabetes for large corporations and physicians?[/quote]

There is money in medicine and if there were a "cure" for diabetes, imagine the money to be made.... 3,000,000 people in the US alone.   If that "cure" was for type 2, watch out! 

I think you might want to go in and talk to this doctor about your past visit.  I'd ask some very point blank questions about the name of the study, who is funding it and why he thought you would be a good candidate.  Check out http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ and search for "diabetes".   This is a list of all federally and privately supported human clinical trials.  If you get the name of the studey from your doctor, you could search for it at that site as well.

(A-D) #3

Ana,

Well kiddo', I think sometimes study funding can go away if they can't get enough subjects...  It may be something as simple as that they were trying to save a program they thought was promising by extending their possible applicants.  I would definitely ask more questions.

When I was first diagnosed, I had an endo who was trying to prove the value of urine testing.  He never told me I was in a study and never introduced me to blood testing.  It took finding out I was in a research group and shiftijng docs.  I don't know what all the politics and dollars are but I am sure between funding, status, future funding and profits - there is room for some questionable judgement from time to time...

Keep us posted, I will be curious to know what you discover!

Cheers!

A-D

(Morgan) #4

I've never heard of anything like that.

(anathia) #5

I'll talk to my doc. This is good advice. I go back at the beginning of December. (Man, okay, a couple of weeks, huh?)

He is an endocrinologist.  As I said, I really wonder if he had me confused with another patient. He had really impressed me with his excitement about the CGM last year, but then this happened, and it made me wonder if the reason he was on board with the CGM was also some sort of kickback from Minimed. (Oh, I forgot to mention--the gastric bypass device was a minimed product.)

This is great advice, and I appreciate it. I will talk to him about it.

(taybuggie13) #6

I have used to have fairly bad eczema on my face and arms....It didn't show up when I was first diagnosed or when I switched insulin thought.  My doctors said that they didn't know the exact cause of it.  They just gave me some type of medicine (I forgot what it was) and it cleared up within a few months.  I haven't had any problems since then.  Don't know if that helps any..but its all I've got.

(kbuckleync) #7

T1s have a lower immune system in general, especially if they're poorly controlled.  That's a possibility for him always catching different viruses.  Not sure about the eczema though, since I don't think you can actually catch that.  Do you know if he has decent A1Cs?

(stilledlife) #8

That is a possibility. It sounds like his immune system is really flipping out and being compromised by this allergy, to whatever it is he is allergic to, I'm glad to hear that he isn't going into shock. Keep in mind that it it is a high possibility that it could be an allergy to something else.

The website for Clinical Molecular Allergy had an article on this that should be of use [1].

"Although the prevalence of suspected insulin allergy have been reported as high as 2.5%, diagnosis should be more accurate since less than one third of patients are finally diagnosed of true insulin allergy. [1] "

"Sometimes, a person may appear to have an allergic reaction to insulin when it may in fact be an allergy to latex.  Latex is found in many syringes, the rubber stoppers on most insulin vials, and even in some adhesive strips.

For those that may have an allergy to buffering agents, insulin pump therapy may be advisable. [2]

[1] http://www.clinicalmolecularallergy.com/content/3/1/16

[2] http://www.isletsofhope.com/diabetes/disorders/asthma_allergies_2.html

(Omnipoder) #9

Hey!!!

I have been a diabetic for 9 or so yeras, and i have had really really bad exima. But that would be realy weird to be allergic to insulin...