Dreamfields pasta

(BarbaraTenaglia) #1

Hi,

I am trying to use the Dreamfields Pasta products but I am not sure how to count what they refer to as Protected "carbs...any advice will be appreciated

(Savs) #2

Here's what I found on the Dreamfields website (http://www.dreamfieldsfoods.com/diet-information.html#term0015)

"Protected carbohydrates or "resistant starch": These are carbohydrates that resist being digested particularly in the small intestine. When they cannot be digested in the small intestine, they pass to the colon where they perform as dietary fiber. They may occur naturally, be created by chemically modifying carbohydrates prior to ingestion or achieve resistance through properly formulated foods being processed by the body. Resistant starches occur naturally at various levels in many foods, like cooked and cooled potatoes, unmilled grains, seeds, legumes, bananas, and high amylase starches. Most resistant starches are produced by concentrating naturally resistant starches and/or by chemically modifying carbohydrates in order to produce a starch with low digestibility. Dreamfields creates protected carbohydrates without chemical modification by utilizing combinations of standard food ingredients to "protect" digestible carbohydrates from being broken down by digestive enzymes. Carbohydrates resistant to digestion have been shown in scientific study to help control blood sugar, blood cholesterol and blood triglyceride levels, normalize insulin levels, and help improve the health of the colon lining, thus reducing the potential for ulcers and inflammatory diseases of the large intestine."

So I THINK thats trying to say that they are carbs that do not break down into fats/sugar (so no insulin needed?), but are rather used for straight energy? I could be wrong, further research may be needed.

(2Sweet4U) #3

I wanted to try it too but wasn't sure how to count the carbs. Anyone routinely eat this stuff and know how to count it????

(poodlebone) #4

I've tried it twice.  Since things that claim low "net" carbs often have a bif effect on my BG I bolused for the full carb count both times.  The first time things went well but the second time my BG dropped very low within an hour of eating.  I haven't been brave enough to try it a third time.  I'd rather just eat regular pasta because I know how it reacts.  I usually stick to one serving and it's not a problem food for me.

(2Sweet4U) #5

[quote user="Liz"]

I've tried it twice.  Since things that claim low "net" carbs often have a bif effect on my BG I bolused for the full carb count both times.  The first time things went well but the second time my BG dropped very low within an hour of eating.  I haven't been brave enough to try it a third time.  I'd rather just eat regular pasta because I know how it reacts.  I usually stick to one serving and it's not a problem food for me.

[/quote]

That's how I feel-- I measure mine in a measuring cup, I usually eat 2/3c or 1c, and I don't have any problems, knock on wood. Pasta doesn't really give me trouble.

Thanks for sharing what happened to you as a result of dreamfields, I'll be checking to see if anyone else has had the same experience.

(empresaenchanted) #6

I counted as 5 carbs