Driving with type one diabetes

(mboatman) #21

yes you should people will do anything to lay blame elsewhere especially in todays society I have bought one for myself from Walmart for under $40 I would advise anyone to get one it will keep you out of trouble and keep your insurance rates from skyrocketing from a incident otherwise if you get in a accident or whatever all the cops can do is a investigation and do what the math say and if your in a state that requires you to do extra work so you can get a license because of your diabetes definitely get one it cant hurt to have added protection

(tuckerendlich) #22

Thank you! your the person that i have been looking for lol!

(Patrick) #23

Medtronic Care is available 24/7 for 670 Users. You should have been assigned a case manager as part of the Priority Access program. You should also download the app, which allows real-time communication.

(Christine) #24

You do not need a dash CAM. Who is telling you this? Check your blood before getting behind the wheel. Have a low blood sugar kit made that you can keep in the car. Check on long drives. Dont get a dash cam

(schnorks) #25

This is incorrect!! In CA they require the letters, etc, only if your check the ‘Yes’ box asking if you have a condition that affects your ability to drive safely?
After the question the DMV lists several conditions which could affect your ability to drive safely, eg, alcoholism, epilepsy and diabetes. These are only examples of conditions that may affect one’s ability to drive safely. An alcoholic who only drinks at home and doesn’t get behind the wheel when they’ve been drinking is not allowing their condition to affect their ability to drive safely. A PWD who is managing their BGs & not having lows while they’re driving doesn’t have a condition that affects their ability to drive safely.
People mistakenly mark ‘Yes’ thinking the DMV is asking if they have diabetes.
The DMV CANNOT ask you if you have diabetes. It is against the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Check out this website of a CA attorney w/ T1 : www.diabetesattorney.net
I hope this helps!

(sneathbupp) #26

Yes it does. Thank you

(tuckerendlich) #27

Okay so now i have my license and my own car and i have had my car for about 4 weeks but i had my license for 5 weeks now iand after some things that i have seen… i think i will be getting one. some dude almost clipped me on highway 16 and someone brake checked me. and i was driving uptown when i ended up following a cop to a car crash which was right where i was going to be turning… so i think i am going to buy like a $10 one from eBay…

(Bruce Johnson) #28

L do not think a dash cam would be necessary in your vehicle. As others have said the most important item(s) for a T1D when being responsible for driving any vehicle on a public road is having something sweet to eat (glucose tablets, fruit juice, pop, candies, etc.) with you so you can utilize them right away when needed. If you are dropping into a low blood sugar your actions or reactions most of the time will not make any sense to anyone, including yourself. This is very important to remember because you don’t want to be in a position of explaining why you may have done something while driving that in most cases you can not remember or just makes you feel confused when popping a glucose tab or a couple of Lifesavers could have helped you avoid the situation entirely. Remember, sugar! sugar!! SUGAR!!! will always be your best friend while you are behind the wheel. I do not know if your state has any regulations about minimum blood sugar levels for diabetics while operating a vehicle. If there is, you should make yourself aware of it. I live in Canada, and have been driving for 54 years without any accidents or demerits to my license. My license has always indicated that I was a diabetic, but it now also has a minimum blood sugar level I must be at or just above at anytime I am oerating the vehicle. The level is 6.5 mmol/L which is approximately 117mg/l in the U.S. A lot of Type 1 diabetics feel the minimum level is too high, but you must consider that your drivers license or permit allows you to drive in all sorts of locations and conditions. For instance in a large urban area you can often be delayed due to traffic congestion, accidents, road maitenance or weather related issues, while in more rural areas delays may occur due to snow or rock slides, forest fires, loose cattle on the highway or even driving off the road and being stuck. I have driven in all types of areas and weather conditions and have been thankful many times that I had my emergency food/sugar supplies with me. You know even a couple of rolls of Lifesavers in your console or glovebox is a start (I would not ever recommend that that is all you carry with you. You need an emergency pack, full of items just for you.) So, congratulations on becoming a new responsible driver, and always remember driving is always considered to be a priviledge, both in society and legally.
Cheers! Bruce