Ebd

(figure skater girl) #1

Excessive Bolusing Disorder. does anyone have that? where you bolus for your meal then go i want some milk. drink it and in the next minute you bolus again?

(Doug D) #2

I used to be really bad at doing that a couple years ago.  My doc would look at my pump data and scratch her head.  I was never bad bs wise but once I quite doing it, my levels did get a bit better.  Boy was that a tough habbit to break - fed the hunger and fed eating more.  It took about a week going "cold turkey" but I finally did it.  :)

(Gina) #3

NOw this is a first. I have never heard of this LOL EBD sorry to laugh it just was funny to me for some reason. Anyway, I never had a compulsive bolusing disorder, I wish I would maybe my numbers would be better!

(Anonymous) #4

It's difficult for my diabetic friends and I to keep to what we count, especially at camp :) We have an on-going joke-habbit (that really isn't that funny) that all the diabetics fill up on water and veggies at meals. Literally, that's were all of those two items go - the majority of, anyway. ADA at the camp doesn't allow you to EBD on your own :) So we were kind of out of options. I just tell myself to stick to what I counted, fill up on the freebies, and then I'll just wait until the next meal.

(kbuckleync) #5

Ok, forgive my ignorance here, but what's wrong with that? I've been doing that for years...bolusing every time I eat something. I've never had a problem (since I was a kid anyway) with my BGs so I guess I never had reason to do anything differently.

Can someone fill me in on why that's a bad thing?

(Woo Its Pat) #6

[quote user="Kristen"]

Ok, forgive my ignorance here, but what's wrong with that? I've been doing that for years...bolusing every time I eat something. I've never had a problem (since I was a kid anyway) with my BGs so I guess I never had reason to do anything differently.

Can someone fill me in on why that's a bad thing?

[/quote]

Is it really a bad thing? I always do this...especially when eating out if I feel compelled to finish my friend or date's food :)

Isn't it the same thing as your pancreas actually producing more insulin for whatever you eat when you decide to get a second wind or that you want to drink something with carbs etc?

Hi, my name is Pat and I have EBD :)

(Anonymous) #7

Although our pumps are trying to imitate a pancreas, let's face it they are not the same thing.
It can be a problem for those who are more sensitive. I too had to break myself of this habit. My biggest problem with my "EBD" was popcorn. I would make my popcorn, bolus and enjoy, only to go low shortly after. Over time I realized I do not need to bolus before my popcorn, but afterward. It may not apply to all, but it has really helped me out.

(kbuckleync) #8

You could try doing an extended bolus.  There are certain foods that I have problems with too, where my blood sugar doesn't go up until a little while later.  And also for instances when I sit down to eat dinner when my blood sugar's already a little on the low side.  If I do an extended bolus then I don't run the risk of forgetting to bolus later on.

(Doug D) #9

[quote user="Pat"]

Is it really a bad thing? I always do this...especially when eating out if I feel compelled to finish my friend or date's food :)

Isn't it the same thing as your pancreas actually producing more insulin for whatever you eat when you decide to get a second wind or that you want to drink something with carbs etc?

[/quote]

It isn't really a bad thing, however, for me it made sense to go back to sticking to 5 smaller meals a day.  As is normal when you get older and from what I've noticed after having the D so long is that the metab really starts to slow down.  When I was a kid or in my 20's or even early 30's, it really wasn't an issue.  I started to put on weight slowly and couldn't figure out why - granted I had shoulder issues but I had cut the calorie intake to compensate for a reduced workout load - needless to say, once I stopped the EBD's, weight gain stopped and I started to lose it.  I have the feeling that young bucks like you won't have that issue.

(Woo Its Pat) #10

[quote user="Doug D"]

[quote user="Pat"]

[/quote]

It isn't really a bad thing, however, for me it made sense to go back to sticking to 5 smaller meals a day.  As is normal when you get older and from what I've noticed after having the D so long is that the metab really starts to slow down.  When I was a kid or in my 20's or even early 30's, it really wasn't an issue.  I started to put on weight slowly and couldn't figure out why - granted I had shoulder issues but I had cut the calorie intake to compensate for a reduced workout load - needless to say, once I stopped the EBD's, weight gain stopped and I started to lose it.  I have the feeling that young bucks like you won't have that issue.

[/quote]

I'd do smaller meals a day if I had the means by which to do it, and as I mentioned in another thread, no stoner roommate & his friends who eat all my food in the house...not to mention drink my beer :(

But yeah, I intend on keeping the intensity of exercise/sports etc. constant until my body can no longer handle it. If I eat more than 2 meals a day I feel rotund and sluggish. Just used to burning the candle at both ends and bolusing whatever I need whenever I need it.

Glad it isn't necessarily a bad thing :)

(Nads) #11

Okay everyone, I'm still not 100% clear on exactly what EBD is all about...  Perhaps I'm still a little sleepy this morning and not thinking too straight...

Is it that you bolus before eating/drinking, then take in the carbs, then bolus again because you're going low?  In which case, you end up taking in even more carbs and, most likely, calories as well?

I may be way off target here, I don't know...  But thanks to whomever is going to have the patience to explain this to me as if I was a child!

(Doug D) #12

Nothing worse when the roommates eat your food - especially during a low and you go to the fridge and nothing is there!   You would have a lot of character witnesses if you decided to take him out.  (just kidding people - well, sorta)

(Brittany) #13

That's me in a nutshell right there. I don't know why I do it I just do. It's kind of weird.

(Woo Its Pat) #14

[quote user="Doug D"]

Nothing worse when the roommates eat your food - especially during a low and you go to the fridge and nothing is there!   You would have a lot of character witnesses if you decided to take him out.  (just kidding people - well, sorta)

[/quote]

Trust me, I flipped out when they ate the snacks I had for when I go low. TWO boxes of NutriGrain bars! They have 21g of carbs in each (or something like that) and are perfect if I feel low or just want a snack...Smokey McPot and co. ate all of them! All I got was "Dudeeeee, me and my friends ate everythinggggg..ha.ha" I just eat lunch now because of him =(

Only a couple more months then I'm moving to a condo further downtown :)

(sarahslp) #15

That's for this thread. I'm curious to hear other people have thought about this too... I try not to bolus too many times in a row b/c then I get confused how much insulin is actually in my system later ... sometimes I go low, sometimes not. But, if I bolus once for dinner, once for dessert and aim low on the 2nd bolus, I'm usually okay. When I bolus for a meal and still feel hungry after, I'll try to eat a little something and see if I can get away w/o a 2nd bolus and just correct a little after as needed. But, that's probably not recommended in the books. (:

(Anonymous) #16

I don't think it's a bad thing, I apologize for it coming across as such. Personally, I just try to avoid it because if I let myself bolus for more, the end of "more" never comes!

(system) #17

i do it sometimes. other times i just wait and check my bloodsugar later and do a correction dose.

sometimes i over dose with my insulin if im at a party or something..cuz i know i'll eat more than i first expect to.

(Nads) #18

[quote user="Sarah"]

I try not to bolus too many times in a row b/c then I get confused how much insulin is actually in my system later ... sometimes I go low, sometimes not.

[/quote]

My Animas 2020 pump has an Insulin-on-Board feature that I use.  If my BG is a little high, before I do a correction bolus, I check the IOB.  If there is still quite a bit of insulin left in my body, I wait for a while, test again and then determine the course of action to take.

(sarahslp) #19

[quote user="Nads"]

[quote user="Sarah"]

I try not to bolus too many times in a row b/c then I get confused how much insulin is actually in my system later ... sometimes I go low, sometimes not.

[/quote]

My Animas 2020 pump has an Insulin-on-Board feature that I use.  If my BG is a little high, before I do a correction bolus, I check the IOB.  If there is still quite a bit of insulin left in my body, I wait for a while, test again and then determine the course of action to take.

[/quote]

I'm on MDI, not a pump. But, when I was on a pump, I found it to overestimate how much insulin was left in my system...

(Gina) #20

[quote user="Pat"]

[quote user="Doug D"]

[quote user="Pat"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'd do smaller meals a day if I had the means by which to do it, and as I mentioned in another thread, no stoner roommate & his friends who eat all my food in the house...not to mention drink my beer :(

But yeah, I intend on keeping the intensity of exercise/sports etc. constant until my body can no longer handle it. If I eat more than 2 meals a day I feel rotund and sluggish. Just used to burning the candle at both ends and bolusing whatever I need whenever I need it.

Glad it isn't necessarily a bad thing :)

[/quote]

Like Doug,

I also went back to the old ways of doing things with 6 small meals a day and my BS is so much better.