Extremely nervous for pump start

(bunucky_jonas_11) #1

i'm on saline for my minimed pump right now.. and i'm REALLLLLLY nervous

i start insulin on wednesday and i'm starting to think that the pump isn't right and i should just do shots. but then if i don't do it then i'll be like "that was better" or something like that

i know i can try it and if i odn't like it go back on shots....

did anyone else experience this?

ps- i'm also nervous because i won't have lantus or anything like i do now

(kbuckleync) #2

What exactly are you nervous about? switching insulins?

Personally, I think you'll be amazed at how much easier life will be when you're on the pump.  I think you'll look back on this day and think, 'what was i so nervous about?'

(bunucky_jonas_11) #3

[quote user="Kristen"]

What exactly are you nervous about? switching insulins?

[/quote]

i'm nervous about not having the lantus in the background for one thing... and the whole idea of having something new after just being diagnosed 4 months ago (today)

(stanandkathie) #4

I was nervous for my daughter to start her pump also.  She started about a month ago and it has been AMAZING!!  I was paranoid about it somehow not working and without the lantus she might get sick easily but honestly....she does great!  Not having shots is a plus for her and it is great that she can have a snack whenever she wants and her pump knows she still has insulin in her system so we don't give her too much and we make sure we do give her enough.  I think it is great and with a little time it will prove itself to you!

(2Sweet4U) #5

[quote user="bunucky_jonas_11"]

ps- i'm also nervous because i won't have lantus or anything like i do now

[/quote]

You'll be fine! I felt the same way when I was on saline for my pump trial. I've been on a Minimed pump for over 2 years now and I love it. It's so much better than shots, and when you need to do a correction, you don't need to take an extra needle. THis is great for me because I am really afraid of needles!

And what you're saying about Lantus isn't exactly true. Instead of having an insulin that lasts the entire day, 24 hours, with one shot (lantus), you use the fast acting (novolog/humalog?) and take very small amounts every hour (your basal rate). So you'll be fine. Just because it's a different type of insulin doesn't mean you won't be able to control it better.

And yes, if you don't like the pump, you can switch back to shots. Just make sure you give the pump a decent try-- it takes a few weeks usually to finetune basal rates.

(amyl1027) #6

You're probably just because you haven't done it yet.  Trust me.  I started pumping for the first time this past March, and was kind of doubtful at first.  I kept wondering if I should really do it or not.  I was worried about the unexpected.  Now that I've been using my Omnipod for the past months, I'm so glad that I went ahead with it.  Just try it and see how it goes.  If you're not happy using a pump you can always switch back to doing injections.  For me getting rid of the Lantus helped me out a lot.  Without the long and short-acting insulins colliding at inopportune times, I have almost no low blood sugars now.  For me, that's one less worry for the most part.  Things are still far from perfect, but things are improving.

(Fred) #7

Change is scary!!!  Our daughter started the minimed pump last December.. We love it.  The first month may be a little tricky getting all you basel rates correct, but it was well worth it for us..  Just think..  only 10 needles a month, instead of 90-120

(Type1PumpingCyclist) #8

I've been using pumps (Minimed and Omnipod) over the past 12 years and appreciate what your feeling. In my case,  however, I would be nervous about switching back to shots and using long-acting insulin.  Change is hard. But, it will be OK.

The one great improvement for me was the consistency of the basal insulin using the pump.  Before that, when I used long-acting insulin, the blood sugars, especially at night, were all over the place. With the pump, you can customize it so that it works the best for you. It may just take a little time to dial it in. Good luck!

(dancetiludrop) #9

its ok ull b fine just have faith it will all turn out ok the pump was the best thing that ever happened to me!!

(imax386) #10

If it makes you feel better whenever I first got hooked up to my pump with my pump trainer nurse I felt the same way.  The instant the infusion set went in I knew I had made the wrong choice to go on a pump.  I was horrified for the next 24 hours.  Lo and behold a few days passed and all the fear washed away.

I started to get comfortable with how insulin doses and basals worked with a pump and that regret went away.  I tried new infusion sets and found one I like better and the awkwardness I felt when that initial infusion had gone was no longer there either.

You never really get a good feel for the pump on a saline pump because you still have to take shots.  Don't let your experience on that saline pump scare you from trying the actual thing.  It'll take a few days to acclimate, but once you have that freedom to eat whatever and whenever all the other concerns start to seem dumb in comparison.

(DDrumminMan) #11

I don't blame you.  I'd be nervous too.  But good luck.  I hope everything works out well.  A lot of people like pumps.  Give it a shot, what the heck?

(kdrake88) #12

I've been on an insulin pump for about 4 years and its been great!

My dr. tried getting me on it once by BG was controlled and I wasn't to excited about having something connected to me. And I actually didn't realize how much better I felt until I went on a "pump holiday". I wanted to go back on shots for a couple weeks so I didn't have to figure out how to wear my pump with my prom dress, but one day was enough. I went back on Lantus and Novalog and I felt feverish. Its strange how much better you feel when you are on just one insulin. It's a lot less to worry about, too becaue you don't have to worry about waking up at the same time or whatever in order to take your lantus at the correct times.

My sugars have been a lot more controlled and I've had ALOT LESS lows. I'm sure you will learn all about it, but insulin build up is a scary thing if you are eating frequently (at parties, buffets, etc.) and with the pump it calculates everything for you.

Just think about how much less you will have to calculate and how much less you will have to worry about when you don't have to keep track of your syringes and insulin pens!

(CHLjoe) #13

[quote user="Kim"]

I've been on an insulin pump for about 4 years and its been great!

My dr. tried getting me on it once by BG was controlled and I wasn't to excited about having something connected to me. And I actually didn't realize how much better I felt until I went on a "pump holiday". I wanted to go back on shots for a couple weeks so I didn't have to figure out how to wear my pump with my prom dress, but one day was enough. I went back on Lantus and Novalog and I felt feverish. Its strange how much better you feel when you are on just one insulin. It's a lot less to worry about, too becaue you don't have to worry about waking up at the same time or whatever in order to take your lantus at the correct times.

My sugars have been a lot more controlled and I've had ALOT LESS lows. I'm sure you will learn all about it, but insulin build up is a scary thing if you are eating frequently (at parties, buffets, etc.) and with the pump it calculates everything for you.

Just think about how much less you will have to calculate and how much less you will have to worry about when you don't have to keep track of your syringes and insulin pens!

[/quote]

Not to hijack, but this is a pump post that actually makes me interested in them more than I was before.