Fuhrman vs Bernstein

(Alice) #1

So…what’s your experience been doing the furhman plant based, high fiber approach vs Bernstein’s low carb keto approach? They both point to literature “proving” their respective approaches to be the best…I tried the vegan thing for a couple of years with modest improvements in glycemic control and am currently 3 weeks into the ketogenic approach with excellent results…but I am confused by these two different approaches and trying to figure out the “right” thing…thoughts?!

0 Likes

(Dennis J. Dacey, pwD) #2

Hi Alice @AliceD, I’m not going to endorse either diet plan, nor will I knock down either. Neither fits my lifestyle and neither will make my life better.

I suggest that you look closely at YOUR body needs and get advice from a knowledgable nutritionist or registered dietitian. Look at foods you enjoy eating and foods that supply what your body needs for your chosen and anticipated activities. Are you an athlete or a couch potato - yes two probable extremes.
Work to find foods you enjoy preparing, like eating and nutritious for you. What has worked for me for many, many years living with diabetes may not work for you.

0 Likes

(Alice) #3

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense to me. The conflict lies in the fact that the ketogenic diet works for my body but is absolutely not the foods that I love. I miss fresh fruits, I miss eating veggies without weighing them to make sure I am not eating too many carbs…

0 Likes

(Dennis J. Dacey, pwD) #4

My body and lifestyle require lots of carbs - well that is what I’ve convinced myself. For years I managed a 6% HbA1c while eating an average 225 grams of carbs every day.
Yes, fruits - at least three per day for me.

0 Likes