Full time working mom

(LILIBETH) #1

Hi everyone! My son turned 2 in December and was just diagnosed with T1D last week. It’s been very overwhelming as you all may know. We are still trying to get adjusted to this new journey. I work a full time job and haven’t been able to return to work yet. My place of employment has been very supportive, however, bills need to be paid. I still haven’t been able to find daycare for my son and it breaks my heart just the thought of having to leave him. I moved to Florida 2 yrs ago and don’t have any family here, which makes things worse. My mother came to “help” but she is afraid to give him his insulin, which is the help I really need, to not only care for him but also administer his meds. I have to go back to work Tuesday and this is driving me crazy, you know, on top of the anxiety and stress I already have due to this unexpected diagnosis. Any full time working parents that can give me any advise? Please help a fellow mom

(Dennis J. Dacey, pwD) #2

Hi Lilibeth @Bastiant1d , first let me offer you a Warm Welcome to TypeOneNation! - and a welcome into this world of diabetes. I’ve been a “member” of the diabetes world for 62 years - and I never wanted to join.

I live in Florida too and I’d be happy to help you out in a pinch - even try coaching your mother - but I don’t live near you. I’m posting a link to the JDRF Chapters in Florida - perhaps if you speak with the contact person of the Chapter nearest you, you may be able to find someone to help you.
https://www.jdrf.org/community/typeonenation/summit/
Click on “JDRF Near You” and enter your zip code.

I hope you find a solution soooooonnnnn. Keep in touch, there are many people here who may be able to offer you tips and suggestions - not just for daycare but for you living so close to diabetes.