Help! In need of dietary suggestions

(Joy) #1

We need to work on our DD diet. Diagnosed almost a year ago, our eight year-old doesn’t like eggs and a whole bunch of vegetables. So thankful for chicken and broccoli, we’re at a loss sometimes. I read all these wonderful recipes with foods that she just doesn’t like. Any resources or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Navigating our way through this together,
Work in Progress

0 Likes

(Dennis J. Dacey, pwD) #2

Hi Joy @WorkinProgress, I can sympathize with you in your efforts to satisfy, or at least properly nourish, an eight year old. I too see a lot pictures of what appear to be really awesome and tasty meals [some of which actually have carb counts] and then when I look at the ingredients and prep-time I say “no thanks”.

What I suggest, is that you concentrate on preparing HEALTHY meals of foods s/he will [usually] eat and make adjustments in insulin therapy to cover what is eaten and maintain effect glucose levels. This is referred to as effective use of MDI [Multiple Daily Injections] or intelligent pump management - depending on your choice for insulin therapy. MDI is a process I worked on in the 1970’s, before the advent of glucose meters, with a research endocrinologist for effective glucose management and permits us now to eat almost everything and keep BGL [Body Glucose Levels] within acceptable range.

When I was diagnose in the 1950’s I stuck to a regimented diet [starvation diet for a teen] and took one daily dose of a recently invented long-lasting isophane insulin - it more or less worked until I went to college. Turn over a new-leaf and since I married more than a half century ago I have eaten the “healthy” meals my wife prepares and cover the estimated carbs with insulin. This has permitted my to live a full, very active and fulfilling life while letting my HbA1c hover around 6%.
True, I have what are referred to as “diabetes complications” but I attribute most of these to be related to my early days of diabetes that I mention above; for instance my diabetic retinopathy condition, my most serious “complication” was diagnosed in 1966.

0 Likes

(Tyler) #3

Joy! i;m glad i saw this.

i’m actually in the process of building a channel based completely around this!

T1 for 15 years and i’m wanting to help in anyway possible!

check out this channel. would love feedback / questions / or insight on any other videos yall may want to see etc. look forward to it!!

0 Likes