Help me come to my senses

(Christina) #1

Hi! I’m new to this group. I’m 39yrs old and have been type 1 for 14yrs. You would think I would know better by now. I struggle with truly accepting my diabetes and although I eat mostly low carb I sometimes go days with checking my sugar and/or only give myself minimum insulin. I dont know whats wrong with me. I want to live my life and not have the hassle that diabetes plagues me with but my A1c is getting higher (9.8) and when,I do check I’m often in 300-400’s. I try to be good but its often short lived. Can,someone help knock some sense into me? Ive asked my husband numerous times to,help remind me but he often lets it slide too. I dont want to wait til its too late

(Bill) #2

Hi, Christina @Aauntcookie .

If I might, I would like you to read this thread: The cure?

To manage diabetes well, you have to “get your head in the right place.” After you have been through the above thread, I’d appreciate your reactions.

There is more to say, but let’s start the ball rolling with what has already been written.

Thanks!

Bill

(Janice) #3

Christina, I agree with Bill, but my question is what acceptance problem are you having, worried about friends, job, husband, rebelling, or I’ll show you, what is the major problem other than you just don’t like it. Half the problem is usually non acceptance, I am not saying you have to embrace it like an old friend, but it would be a lot easier if you quit fighting it and figured out how to make it part of your life without giving up the things you like in your life. Testing and injections become a habit like brushing you teeth, if you had a cavity you’d take care of it no question, and try to avoid getting another one, Diabetes can be a cavity starting, take care of it and keep it from getting worse. Most of it can be a habit. Everyone knows I have been a type 1 for 64 years and I do what I want. Just pay attention but don’t freak and quit punishing yourself, we are here to help. Keep me posted. jan My last A1c was 7.3 PS: sometimes Husbands tend to ignore it and hope it goes away besides he probably doesn’t want to be a nag, Husbands get scared and don’t know how to tell you. My husband has had 50 years to get used to it and sometimes he panics.

(SuperSam101) #4

Yeah check out my thread xD

(Trevor Kazaks) #5

Here’s a post I made that you should consider: https://www.reddit.com/r/T1D/comments/8xrzu6/the_ultimate_cure_for_type_1_diabetes/

(doug) #6

Regular BG > 300. I can’t imagine that. I’m 54 and have had t1 for 24 years. When my bg is that high I can’t function and feel like crap. Imagine how much better you’ll feel if you can get on a good routine. I mean you’ll feel a ton better. Also, talk to your doc about short and long term complications.

(maryelizabeth) #7

Hi Christina,
I have lived with Diabetes since I was 14 years old(48 years). When I was diagnosed I was told up front that I would not live a long life, and I’d never have children! I chose to Fight Diabetes and show this disease that it would never get the better of me!
I chose to take care of ME and do everything I could to show the doctor that told me that, that it would Never happen to me. Diabetes is a fight sometimes, and you sound like a GREAT person that should try EVERYTHING to get ahead of this disease!

(anita) #8

You are so young. I am 76 years old and diabetic for 56 years. Yes I agree it is hard.
Since I have been on the pump and the continuous glucose monitor my life has changed. Especially my CGM which tells me wha my blood sugars are whenever I want to know. You have to keep on top of it at all times, yet you should live your life. I had 3 children with being type 1 diabetic. I have lived my life, it is not easy but I do it. Please try to be better about knowing where your blood sugars are. Belive me when I say I have been there.

Anita

(Becky) #9

@Aauntcoikie Christina, I don’t know what type of community you live in or if you are close to a metropolitan area, if you can, I would suggest joining your local JDRF community. I have gotten much support from mine. Even volunteering will bring you in closer contact with other T1Ds who “get it”. I would also suggest looking in to finding a social worker or counselor that deals with people with chronic conditions. I was diagnosed at 14 and have lived with T1 for 44 years. I am grateful for the technology we have now to help control our condition. For the first 20 years-ish treatment was kind of a crapshoot. I have had to change my mind set several times in my course with diabetes. Do the best with the tools you have, stay strong, know no one is perfect, and what works for one (or at the time) doesn’t always work for others. Diabetes is a fluid, ever changing condition. You may want to consider a CGM and pump to help with the daily management.

(davyboy) #10

Christina, I don’t know what kind of person you are, if you like just living day to day, if you like playing games, or setting and achieving goals. If you like goals, set a goal to achieve A1c (a blood measure of your glucose levels for a 90 day period) of about 6, which is do-able for T1D. To do this, you want to get the best tools you can right NOW that will help you get there. You did not mention what your health insurance situation is and what kind of coverage it gives you. As a minimum get a regular insulin pump to deliver your insulin so you don’t have to do injections during the day. I suggest one that works with the Dexcom g5 or the new g6 glucose sensor (you stick these under your skin about once every two weeks.

The reason is the g5 and g6 are the most accurate sensors on the market. The new 6g requires one calibration when you set it up and zero pin pricks the rest of the time. That makes one part of your life easy. All you have to do is read it on your smart cell phone app for Dexcom. I look at my glucose level about once an hour and maybe more often after a meal to try to keep the post-meal highs from going up too much.

I am not positive which pumps work with the Dexcom, but I do know the Tandem t:slim X2 pump pairs with Dexcom g6 for very accurate control AND it turns off the insulin flow if your you go into a hypogylcemic reaction (low glucose leverl), then turns itself back on when your glucose rises again. This is great comfort to those afraid of low glucose incidents, especially while asleep at night… The t-slim x2 pump is one of the best out there. With it you can read your glucose level right on the pump so you don’t have to carry your phone around. It gives you other graphs and readings to help you control this beast called T1 diabetes.

For the current state of the art, you can get a Medronic 670g aritificially intelligent pump that does what the Tandem does, plus it predicts how much your blood glucose is rising and automatically delivers insulin to compensate for it. You do need to calibrate the Medtronic glucose sensor a couple times a day with finger prick glucose checks.

Before too long, insulin pumps will be able to work with a new very fast acting insulin from Europe called Fiasp. It will bring your glucose levels down very quickly.

If you like games, you can make a game out of setting your goals and seeing how well you are doing to win the game (meeting your goals). If you are physically active, like playing tennis or running, even walking, you will like how these pump and continuous glucose meters help you stay within safe boundaries.

You need to see diabetes as a wild dog that has to be tamed, or the dog will kill you. It’s that simple. As someone said already, once you get used to controlling your glucose levels and your A1c blood test result, you will be happier for two reasons: 1. you will like achieving your goal, and 2. you will plain feel better. That will help you fight depression, which is endemic to diabetics but especially diabetics that have poor glucose control. You should get an Endocrinology doctor to help manage your control. They specialize in diabetes. Visit them once a quarter so they will know your A1c for that period. They are there to help. Get one that chides you when you lose control, like a good mother or father.

Hope this helps. By the way, I got this since age 5, 61 years ago. The tools for control back then were like the cave man days. So consider that how easy it is now by comparison. And it won’t be but another few years (Tandem says 2 years for them) and glucose control will be a lot easier.

When you get a pump and continuous glucose metering system, you’ll be surprised how much simpler it is to control your diabetes and live a healthier and satisfying life.

(carolynwoodham) #11

I applaud your ro your transparency and true humanity. I loved reading your post. Iy spoke to the gut reality of dealing with diabetes and the need to be real about it. You have already taken the big step of speaking your need, now I am praying for you that the healing will come, healing certainly in your body, and in the mean time, helming of apathy that we all get dealing with T1D. I as a mom, some days just want to say, so what, it is what it is, then I find myself rising to a greater calling, a better place of hope and I know that good management is the best call. I still blame myself that my daughter has T1D, if I were a better parent and taught better heigine…but that doesn’t serve anyone. I find myself filled once again with strength and resolve to find answers, solutions, and never let the enemy win. Disease is a door, we can stay behind it or walk through it, I encourage you to walk through it. Seems simple, and in a way it is. Just decide to walk through the door of hope and move into the way of light in these circumstances. We gain a place of joy that we didn’t have before and others can find the same.

(tubamann2) #12

My first indo. was a brilliant doctor. Every time you do some thing “out of line” simply tell yourself seven times, “I shouldn’t be doing this”. Be even more specific by inserting what you are doing in error: I shouldn’t be eating these. I shouldn’t be drinking this. I should walk around the block. Be patient with your self and in a few weeks you will break the old habits.

(Chelsea) #13

Hi my name’s Chelsea. I’ve had diabetes for 24, and was diagnosed when I was very young. Like you I didn’t want diabetes to slow me down or get in the way of living my life. It’s a mindset you have to get yourself into. Having good a A1C is better in the long run. I tell myself I want to be healthy and have my numbers under control. So the more info (numbers) I have the better off you’ll be. I hope this helps. Maybe you and your spout can cook meals together to help with accountability. That’s what my fiancé and I do and he’s had to learn a lot about diabetes and often comes with me to my appointments, asking questions with my doctor to help him better understand how to help me. Hope this helps.

(anita) #14

Hi,

I will try to knock a little sense into you. I am diabetic for 57 yrs. My brother got it when he was 20 the same age as I was. I tried to help him and he never accepted it.
Well not he says he knows he did wrong then, but he is on dialysis for 10 yrs. now and is minus one foot. Does that knock a little sense into you. I feel so badly for him, he cannot go anywhere is is stuck to that machine. I would be willing to communicate with you and help you. I am on the Tandem pump and CGM machine which has helped me alot. My A1C has gone down and I am really pleased.

I hope I helped you a bit

Anita