Help me with a mature response

(Angie13) #1

Leading up to World Diabetes Day, I've been posting article or facts about diabetes to my facebook page.  Today I posted:

- Every 10 seconds a person dies from diabetes-related causes. - Every 10 seconds two people develop diabetes. - Every 30 seconds a limb is lost to diabetes - Each year a 7 million people develop diabetes - Each year 4 million deaths are attributable to diabetes - Diabetes is the fourth leading cause of global death by disease.

And a friend of mine (who thinks she knows a lot, but earlier in the week referred to  diabetes as organ death, which it isn't), responded with:Type I or Type II?
I said:
All diabetes together.
And she said: 
Well they are two different diseases; one is preventable and responds to lifestyle choices, the other doesn't. So to lump them together doesn't help my scientific understanding of the situation we're in with the disease being the 4th leading cause of global death.
I need a good way to respond.  I recognize that attention, like WDD, we are giving to diabetes as a whole is because only 5-10% of those diagnosed with diabetes are type 1.  But isn't there something to be said about the causes and treatments being different, but potential outcomes being the same.  Or something.  Does someone have a smart but mature response that I can copy?

(system) #2

i actually like what you already said:

diabetes, regardless of type 1 or 2, have the same potential outcomes. though they may be acquired and treated differently blindness, kidney disease, limb amputation, and death are still consequences of living with the disease.

diabetes is actually a progressive disease. meaning someone diagnosed with type 2 will eventually become type 1 (in that they will produce no more insulin) simply because it's the nature of the illness. most type 2s aren't diagnosed until later in life, so they don't live long enough to develop type 1. however, those who are diagnosed younger have the potential to see themselves dependent on insulin.

(Anonymous) #3

I guess I would say something along the lines of; yes it is true that they are two different diseases however if untreated or not treated properly they both can be deadly. Type 1 can be deadly in the sense that without proper insulin treatment you will die, and type two in the sense that it may harm other organs, or functions in your body. I may also add that because both diseases lead to other complications it is hard to give accurate numbers specifically involving the different types of diabetes related deaths or that because they both involve the body's lack of insulin production that statistically the WHO "lumps" them together. Another approach would to be to half agree with her/him. Yes you are right they are different and it would be nice if we could have that specific data, however there isn't currently a way for the WHO to get those specific numbers.

This probably doesn't help you any but I truly empathize with you on this, maybe someone else could formulate it better.

(Eric_Carpenter) #4

I agree with the other posts, stating that the cause may be different but the effect is the same is simple and accurate.  If you are searching for a metaphor, you can liken it to commuting to work.  Two different employees may take two different ways to work, approach the destination from two different angles (type of diabetes).  However, that does not change the fact that they end up at the same place (similar treatments, complications, causes of death).

(Michaelcremated) #5

I must say this because I was in a similar situation, sometimes type two isnt preventable. does she have diabetes?

(Angie13) #6

[quote user="Michael Cremated"]

I must say this because I was in a similar situation, sometimes type two isnt preventable. does she have diabetes?

[/quote]

I've already pointed this out to her.  No, she is not diabetic.  She is celiac though.

(BrianPQuinn) #7

Angie,

I would poke around the JDRF website for information. They do have some data out there that you can use or send your friend to the links. They have type fact sheets. They have diabetes in general fact sheets. Along with that they also just have a F.A.Q. page. Hope some of this helps. If nothing else, just continue to state your points and do yoru best to help her out. You could also pass her on to the Educating others group on Juvenation. That might help her out as well.