Highest A1C ever=(

(Jana M) #1

I had a doctor appointment today and found out that my A1C is 8.9!!  That's the highest one I've ever had in 21 years of diabetes... I am really bummed.

I wrecked an ATV last summer and have been battling a shattered wrist and other injuries for almost a year now and am having an extremely hard time getting any exercise because I'm in so much pain....  I'm not sure how to handle this....  Of course I am fighting depression as a result of the injuries and the high sugars, just need to vent I guess.

(system) #2

my highest A1c is 7.9 in 2007

(Gina) #3

Jana so sorry to hear about your accident and your a1c. I know all too well of how an accident can affect you. In 2003 I was hit by a car crossing the street. I broke my pelvis in three places on the right side and on the left I broke my leg and ankle, and my knee went out of alignment which I had two surgeries on one in 2004 and one in 2005. My a1c from 2003-2008 was in the high 8's and my highest was 9.1 in the spring of 2008.

I was in and out of physical therapy for 4 yrs and not until last year before my wedding did i have enough nerve to go back to the gym. The way I got through it was to fight through it I did become very depressed but I got through it. Take each day as it comes. Try as hard as you can today and tomorrow even harder and when its tough just say I will do better tomorrow.

(Jana M) #4

Thank you Gina and I'm sorry to hear about your accident too.  I feel a bit better about it today, I will just have to buckle down and figure it out...

(Sugar Lady) #5

I dream of these A1c's- I get tested again this month- keeping my fingers crossed!

(Natalie D) #6

Don't worry about 8.9... At my diagnosis a year and a half ago it was 16.7!

(system) #7

That's a pretty good A1C in my books! haha. my last one was about 8.2, before that 7.9.

My A1C's used to be BRUTALLY high until I got switched from N to Lantus two years ago. I spent a good 13years with an A1C coming back no lower than 9.0 because we were consently changing my N doseage and neither the R or N were working for me. As soon as I switched to Lantus and Novorapid, my followed A1C dropped from 9.5 to 8.2!

I wouldn't worry about it too much, especially since you had the stress of the accident recently. Just remember how well you are doing and continue to do, and this is just a minor bump in the road because of your accident and nothing you did wrong!

(OmniUser) #8

my highest was 8 a month and a half ago. but just yesterdday I was at 6.9!!!! :))))))

(FFA_RodeoStar) #9

wow all your A1Cs are what my goal is last time it was 11.3 and i think the last time i was below 9 was probably 3 years ago i can't do anything right

(brnagrl.type1) #10

sorry to hear about your atv accident, but, personally, i wouldn't worry about your a1c being 8.9. i can't wait until i get down there. when i was diagnosed, my a1c was 13, but i'm gradually bringing it down. right now it's 11. so, don't stress about it. it'll come down.

(Emilykitten29) #11

I know totally horrible but my highest waas 14.9  :(

(lindagayle) #12

I was diagnosed 20 years ago this month...Happy anniversary (haha)

I was under 8 for the first time that I can even remember just 3 minths ago. I was 7.4 and then 3 months ago I was 7.6.

My doctor runs a test called a Glycomark - it measures your average blood sugars for just one month. It is helping us to make adjustments better because it is easier to track events for just one month at a time.

I totally understand your frustration. Sometimes I feel like no matter what I do, my numbers are just going to stay where they are and never move. Sometimes I will watch everything I eat and exercise and my A1C will be the same as if I hadn't even tried at all.

I guess what keeps me focused is the thought that I am doing everything I can and if it helps great, but if it doesn't at least I know that it won't be my fault. A great side effect from watchign what I eat and exercising is that other than my Diabetes and everything that goes with it, I am healthier than most people - low cholesterol, blood pressure, tricglycerides, etc. I good cry every now and then helps too!!!

Hang in there. Diabetes sucks. We don't have a choice about having the damn thing, but we do have a choice about how we handle it. It is better to fight for as much control as we can than to give up and feel sorry for ourselves. Good luck.

Lindagayle

(Dylan404) #13

Hey Emily just stick to it and make some changes and I'm sure you can get it to a healthy level (assuming you haven't already). 

(Dylan404) #14

FFA don't be so hard on yourself.. Sure it is a bad thing to have your A1C high but it is tough to keep it low. There was a thread about lowest A1C a while back where people gave all there advice on bringing their A1C's down that had a lot of good information. Feel free to send me a message if you want to hear my advice.