This text will be hidden

emphasized text
indent preformatted text by 4 spaces
indent preformatted text by 4 spaces
strong text

(lvictor) #42

link here

(Manuela) #44

My mood can change quickly according to BG levels. Last night a I had a steady night and my CGM showed a straight line. That is the best. I feel happy and I feel like I am doing a good job. However, when I have highs or lows, I feel frustrated and down. Especially, when I can't explain where the high or low is coming from. I always explain to non-diabetics that it is like studying for an exam. You study hard thinking you'll do well in your test, but then you get a bad grade or fail and you can't figure out what happened. With people who have diabetes, that is an ongoing struggle. I think people with diabetes are extraordinary people. We continuously have to deal with disappointments (highs/lows), but at the same time have the ability to pick ourselves up and keep going and keep trying to do well. 

(Gina) #45

Manuela,

I never thought about it being like an exam before. That is the perfect way to put it. And I felt like that today when I went to the doctor. You try so hard and then you feel like a total and complete failure. It becomes very frustrating especially with hard work like you said.

(Jody C) #46

That Exam comparison is TOTALLY on point!  It really gets frustrating when even your endo/GP KNOWS you are trying and the results are just NOT happening. One step forward and two steps back!

(laura10900) #47

oh wow! it's is so like the exam thing.

i get really frustrated when my blood sugars go high. i usally go ask my mom, dad, or a good friend for a hug and then i like to drink some water and just chill out. usally i'll draw, watch tv, or i take pictures. i also play with my dogs, that helps.

when i'm low i cry really easily so usally just get my juice and a snack and then start making fun of myself and other people for making me cry.

a lot of people will tell you humor is an imature way to deal with things, espically something this serious...it's not i can't change that i am diabetic but i can decided to have a sense of humor about it.

(Noreen) #48

Wow--well said, Manuela! I SO agree that diabetics are extraordinary people. In our house we agree that others just don't have a clue, unless they have it or live with someone who does.

Can you tell me about your CGM--how long you've had it and how helpful it is? My girls both went on pumps this year, but our insurance won't pay for CGMs...

(ajax) #49

Welcome to Juvenation! 

(Jesse-1) #50

I have a 4 yr old just diagnosed last month and I agree trying to get young children to eat the right foods is so very difficult. we're hoping as we gradually enter new foods he'll learn to like them....just a matter of time before our boys are eating up all the food they once hated..

(ameenk01) #51

My daughter was diagnosed at 3, she is now 5, and the eating is still a hassle for us. she has a pump so that helps a lot. anyways, welcome to Juvenation. you will find lots of great people here with all sorts of great thoughts and stories to share. Things will get easier in time and before you know it it will be like second nature. trust me, I have been T1 for 30 years. and after 30 years complication free so don't worry. Welcome again!

(Trisha Faye) #52

Hi Rawsgen.

Welcome to Juvenation. I just joined in October and I have found tremedous support here. It's great to talk to people who understand the lifestyle we have. I can relate to the challenges you face keeping a toddler on a schedule.

My son is 3 1/2 and was diagnosed at 12 months old. When he started drinking a lot of juice I just figured he liked it, so of course he was peeing more, no big deal, just a lot more diapers. The first time he threw up was "because he drank his juice too fast." When he threw up a couple more times and stopped eating it seemed like a stomach bug, something that would pass, as long as he was drinking Pedialite he would be OK. Day 3 of not eating or playing I suspected food poisoning. I had to wait for my husband to get home with the car. My son started turning white, real white, so I called his dad and told him to come home now. While we were in the waiting room at his pediatrician's office he started breathing heavily. Long story short; we ended up being transported to a children's hospital in Atlanta where Brandan was diagnosed and DKA. It was exactly 2 weeks after he turned 1. He was in ICU for 2 days, the hospital a week.

(system) #53

welcome to juvenation. hopefully you are able to find the support you are looking for here. we have a great group of people. friendship and support are just some of what we do best :o)

(Sawyer River) #54

Hi there,

My son Sawyer was diagnosed at 22 months old and is now 2yrs. and 5 months.  I too saw several of the same symptoms and actually had him to the doctor four times and then finally brought  him to the hospital on my own.  I too struggle with getting a toddler to eat.  I am fortunate that he doesn't respond negatively to his treatments.  

(rawsgen) #55

Thanks everyone for replying...it is so nice to know that I am not alone.  I mean I know I am not alone but it is still nice to read all your stories and know you all struggle with the same things.  All I want is for my son to grow up a healthly functioning member of society, I am sure that is all any of us want.  I struggle now with some behavoir issues as he was spoiled for basically an entire year...between the diabeties and the broken leg...I had no choice.  I wasnt even me who did all the spoiling it was grandparents/aunts/friends.  Now I am trying to un-spoil him...LOL.  Really tough to do...LOL

(sarahslp) #56

Have you asked his endo about giving him short-acting insulin right after take eats, b/c then you'd know how much he actually consumed. It may make him go slightly higher after, but would make the carb-counting easier and may be worth it.

I was dx'ed when I was 4, and remember having temper tantrums when I was low, and therefor even more irrational then usual, where I'd ony eat something if it was some random item like a baby bottle or broccoli. Poor Mom! I survived and have a wonderful husband, great job, and demanding toddler of my own now. (:

(mozez) #57

Wow, not even 2 you say. Wow! My baby was just turned 4 when we got the news. Some times Ellie is a little naughty about sneaking food or drinks, but almost all the other time I feel so Blessed, impressed, and shocked by how responsible she is. There has been many times where Ellie will ask us if we forgot to give her her shot. Frankly there are times of system breakdown where I thought my wife shot her and my wife thought I shot her, so Ellie says, "hey guys I need a shot here," Only happens on a blue moon but has happened... Like the one time I gave Ellie 3 units of humalog, instead of the lantus I meant to give.. That was so horribly scary.. But anyhow, i'm getting off track..

My heart and prayers go to guys. 2 yrs old must be so hard. Cuz I know 5 is and Ellie is great about everything, well not rotating shot sites, but everything else.. I guess the only advantage you have, I guess, if there were one, is maybe you'll grow enough "trust," in people to let your son go to school. We have had nothing but trouble and i'm scared to death to pull out that whole public funded school law, because they might treat my baby maliciously. I just can't take the chance, so until we get the pump I home school. I trust no one!!! Its been 18 19 months and I still haven't let anyone babysit her.... So I guess this is a great pep talk huh! I'm sorry.. But i'm always just so scared something is gonna happen and i'm not there for my babes. To say Ellie and I have a tight relationship is like saying peanut butter loves jelly..lol She is very attach to me and me to her... Her diabetes has only made it stronger worst, well I have horrible heart issues so I go the docs like 4 times a month, so the doctor thing is our thing ya know. My other daughter and wife are healthy, (praise God) so me and Ell have a special bond thAT way too. So as much as t1d sucks butt my relationship and i'm sure all other parents grow and change with thier kiddies...

The best advice i've recieve, from here!!!! from teenagers who have had t1d since young childhood, is to stay strong calm, nice and understanding. NEVER EVER EVER get mad or punish over food or diabetes, thier diease sucks butt enough without mom and dad yelling and being mean. And they also said that a loving concerned actively helping parent will never be forgotten, which honestly made me cry like a baby when I read that. I love my daughter with all my heart, and I try so hard to always do everything right that sometimes it causes me to make mistakes. So now I just take one number at a time, one meal at a time..

So I wish you and your family the best of luck, it's hard to deal with and except, but God does have a plan for your son. Stay strong and smile!!! Take care and have a Merry Christmas!!

(system) #58

Awesome!  Thanks Joe :)  Nice to put a face with the name! 

My name is Andy Bell, type 1 for 15 years.  I work in the National Outreach Dept. for JDRF and I assist with "handing off" the handoffs you all send me.

Thank you all so much for giving this ODST CV Group a chance on here - and for all the hard work you all put in responding to the many requests that come in.

The work that you all do is SOOOO Great!  Many people are very thankful for you.

I look forward to "meeting" the rest of you in this forum.

-Andy

(justjohn) #59

Cute! What a smart kid :)

How old is she?

(system) #60

that's awesome! if i didn't have a job interview, i'd do the same thing! :o)

(rockgal84) #61

That brought a smile to my face this morning :D

What a great idea - I'd step out on a limb and do it!