How Do I Handle It All?

(madzrost) #1

Hey everyone! My name is Maddie, and I am really new to the world of Type 1 Diabetes (I was diagnosed November 30th, 2016). I am just looking for any tips/trick/general advice on how to balance diabetes, college, work, and life in general.

(Dennis J. Dacey, PwD) #2

Hi Maddie @MadzRost,

You are in a very difficult position right now being pulled in at least four different directions at once.

My suggestion would be to relax [yeah, I know] and concentrate first on being yourself, accepting and liking yourself and somehow accept that for the last 3 1/2 months you have been living with a condition that will demand your attention for the rest of your life; learn about T1 and how it affects YOU, but don’t let it rule your life - yes, you will learn to manage, nut not ever really control, so that it becomes not much more than a background annoyance. And who knows, with the many new tools soon to an approved and readily available much weight will be lifted from your shoulders; I was diagnosed 60 years too early.

For the next year or so, you will be experiencing and learning so I ask you to feel free sharing what you feel and probably ask questions as you move ahead - many folks here have experience and will freely offer you guidance. You’ve probably heard this before, eat moderate amounts and observe how various foods affect YOUR BG and use information you observe for adjusting activity and insulin dosage. There is really nothing in life that you will not be able to achieve.

Certainly you will have some great swings in your blood sugar levels - don’t let some unexplained high or low get you depressed - we all have those figure out if you can the cause make corrections. “Lowes” are the more frightening for me so I always carry some granola bars with me when out - a good tasting way to bring up my BG with a combination of quick-acting carb and the more complex carbs to provide duration.

Message me anytime,

(marshalj) #3

I’m a couple years out of college, but I wanted to offer you some of my experience and what I’d change if I could go back. I never wanted anyone to know I was diabetic. I’m not really sure why, necessarily, but I guess I just didn’t want to be different. I didn’t want people to see me taking an injection or pricking my finger, didn’t want to deal with the questions and the “can you eat x, y, z” crap. And, while I think it’s perfectly fine and normal to not want people to know, I let that get in the way of my management and care. I would skip a bolus because I didn’t want to leave the table or take an injection at the table, or I wouldn’t test all day for the same reasons. Looking back, no one would have cared, and I could have told people I didn’t like making it a big deal and I think people would respect that, but I wish I hadn’t let my self-consciousness get in the way of my health.

I’m not saying you should be “that girl with diabetes,” but I don’t think it’s a bad thing if people know you’re diabetic. Take care of yourself. Own your diabetes and don’t let it own you. Don’t let it get in the way of your life. Respect it and it will respect you. The better you get to know your diabetes, the less you’ll have to think about it and the more you can think about the parts of your life that you want to think about.

(flebeccaann) #4

Hi Maddie!

I’ve had T1D for 14 years. My campus has a College Diabetes Network chapter, where people with diabetes can get together and have others that just “get it.” I’ve loved having this group of people to talk about things with and sometimes just rant about the frustrations diabetes can cause. If you want to see if your campus has a CDN chapter, or if you want to start your own, you can visit this link: https://collegediabetesnetwork.org/content/campus-chapters

Also, if you want to visit their webpage, they have a ton of info on how to handle burnout, how to have good nutrition, how to manage alcohol and diabetes, and all sorts of other good info to know about when you’re in college. Here is there website: collegediabetesnetwork.org

I really hope this helps! Feel free to message me anytime and we can chat. Good luck girl! You can do this!