How do you feel? Is it because of your diabetes?

(paulg765) #1

I'm interested in finding out how everyone basically feels on a day-to-day basis and how much you believe your  diabetes has to do with it.  That is, do you feel that you are more fatigued, get sick more often, have physical pain, have more emotional problems than people without diabetes?  Do you feel that your diabetes has, and continues to affect your ability to perform in school, at the workplace, and/or in your family and community environment?  If you're somewhat older, like I am, how much do you feel your diabetes has impacted you?

You can use these two questions to simplify your response, but comments would be appreciated:
1.  How do you feel MOST of the time?  A. Fantastic  B. Good Enough  C. Could be better  D. Fair  E. Miserable
2.  How much of the way you feel is due to your diabetes?  A. All   B.  Most  C. Some  D. Not Much  E. None

(kbuckleync) #2

1. B (good enough)

2. A (all)

I never feel like I'm at 100%, even though I've always been in good control (for almost 30 yrs with diabetes), and with my most recent A1C at 5.9.  Mostly it's from the yucky feelings of my BG either going up, or down.  I've yet to have any complications from diabetes, and hopefully that won't happen for a long, long time.  And I think if I didn't have any spikes or drops in my BG that I'd feel much better on a daily basis.

On the plus side, I think having diabetes has upped my pain/discomfort threshhold.  I think I'm able to tolerate discomfort better than a lot of people I know (who aren't T1).

(Joshy84) #3

1. C

2. A

I have not had the best control of my diabetes in the past and that's why I say Could be better. I am working on getting better control of my diabetes. I have a new pump with the CGM on it. I also think that the way I feel is directly related to my diabetes control is. I have felt better in the last month or so as I have gotten better control of my diabetes. I go see my endo on tuesday hopefully my A1C will be in the middle 7's is what I am shooting for.

(CJ1230) #4

Well to answer your questions:

1) C

2) B

After 13 years of being T1 I have found over the past 2-3years my engery levels have gone down alot. Meaning I get tired doing normal things that I could do before without any problems. I used to work from 4am until 10am and I used to come home and sleep for probably 4 or 5 hrs, just because I was so tired. Another example is from yesterday I had to go for a job interview at 10am and it took me probably 2hrs and came home then I wanted to go for a nap the only reason I didn't was because I had to go to the hospital for pre-operation testing.

I just figured that it was me and that it may be that I was expericing depression with regards to the diabetes, but everytime I ask the endo or the family dr they look at me like I'm speaking some foregin language to them and they say it's nothing. So I've just learned to deal with it. But I would like to know if anyone else experiences the same thing or if maybe there is something I'm missing from my diet that could be causing this problem?

(paulg765) #5

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far.  I guess it's only fair that I weigh in with my own responses and comments.  I wasn't ertain if I would influence anyone else's input if I provided my own so early.  My interest in this particular line of questioning stems out of a fascinating book I'm reading.  I'm wondering if something implied by the author is indeed true.

I should probably add two more questions to the survery, because they are relevent.  So here now are the four questions with my answers.

1.  How do you feel MOST of the time?  A. Fantastic  B. Very Good  C. Good Enough  D. Fair  E. Miserable

My answer would be D. Fair.  I've been through enough trauma in my life (not diabetes related) that I know what miserable feels like.  Certainly I don't feel like that most of the time.  And I wouldn't say "C. Could be better" because I think I could (should) feel a whole lot better.

2.  How much of the way you feel is due to your diabetes?  A. All   B.  Most  C. Some  D. Not Much  E. None

My answer would be B. Most.  My heart condition, which also plays a role, is in large part inherited from my Dad, who was not a diabetic.

HERE ARE THE NEW QUESTIONS:

3. How would you rate your overall effort to manage your diabetes (incl. diet, exercise, monitoring, medication, blood sugars.)
        A. Exemplary (top-notch)  B Very good  C. Adequate  D. Fair  E. Out of control poor

My answer would be B. Very Good.  This takes a lot of time and effort.  Fortunately, since I'm recently semi-retired, time is no longer an issue.

4.  Do you think that the way you FEEL (physically and emotionally) is improving or declining over time?
        A. Improving rapidly  B. Improving Slowly   C. About the same   D. Declining Slowly  E. Declining Rapidly

My answer here is B. Improving Slowly.  Like most, I have good days and bad ones.  I seem to be having more good ones lately.

OK. So now it's a four question questionnaire.  If we get enough responses, I'll prepare a statistical analysis for everyone to read.
 Out of 5000 members, we should be able to get a couple of hundred.  It's fortunate that we have the population on Juvenation to do this kind of thing.

Thanks.

Paul

(MaDEvans) #6

[quote user="Paul Glantzman"]

1.  How do you feel MOST of the time?  A. Fantastic  B. Very Good  C. Good Enough  D. Fair  E. Miserable

B

B (Those lows and highs affect nearly all of my moods, which in turn affect the ways I treat others, which is a pretty significant gauge about how I feel.  If my wife, family, and friends say "You're acting like a jerk" I feel pretty bad; and I hate to use the 'my blood sugar is ______ excuse'.

3. How would you rate your overall effort to manage your diabetes (incl. diet, exercise, monitoring, medication, blood sugars.)
        A. Exemplary (top-notch)  B Very good  C. Adequate  D. Fair  E. Out of control poor

B.  Everything is good: diet, exercise, medication, and blood sugars.  But, I could be a vigilant tester.

4.  Do you think that the way you FEEL (physically and emotionally) is improving or declining over time?
        A. Improving rapidly  B. Improving Slowly   C. About the same   D. Declining Slowly  E. Declining Rapidly

C (Some days B and some days D).  I hope the "D days" I'm having now are just a temporary thing.  Maybe I need more Juvenation in my life.  Haha.

[/quote]

(orange_mms) #7

1. C- Good Enough

2. A- All

3. C- Adequate

4. C- About the same. Sometimes I would said improving and others declining. Depends on my recent BS status.

(Gina) #8

B

2.  How much of the way you feel is due to your diabetes?  A. All   B.  Most  C. Some  D. Not Much  E. None

I would say most of the time I feel pretty good of course there are times when diabetes gets in the way. If you asked me this same question 3 years ago I would have answered miserable and all of the time. We go through all different emotional stages of diabetes through the years sometimes we are totally fine other times it really gets the best of us. Ask me this question next month all of my answers could be different LOL.

C

I could be much better at managing, I try my best.

Right now I think I am definitely improving, mainly because I would like to have children. I am not sure if I didn't want to have kids where I would be mentally right now. Because of this I am taking care of myself physically as well going to the gym much more than previous years and eating much better. I think all of these things combined definitely improves your health overall.

(Doug D) #9

I would say D.  I have had some shoulder (one for sure not diabetes related and one that is possibly diabetes related- frozen shoulder) issues and a back a neck issue that I'm really trying to work on.

I would say B.  After having it for this long, it takes it's toll so recovering from other injuries takes longer and can weigh you down both emotionally and physically.  For a long time I would never use diabetes as an excuse - now it's getting harder not to say it has to have more effect than I would give it credit for.

HERE ARE THE NEW QUESTIONS:

I would say B.  My diet, monitoring and blood sugars are very solid.  My problem has been exercise.  I've recently got back into biking which is helping tremendously however I've had one issue or another for about 5 years now and exercise had to take a back seat to physical therapy which helped me pack on the pounds.  It's been an excuse for me, so now I'm hoping the JDRF rides will give me an end goal and take me to an A.

5-6 months ago I would have answered D.  Now I'd say a B.  My diabetes is in check and emotionally I'm finally coming around again so hopefully my other physical ailments will go, the better I get in shape.

(since030993) #10

1. C. Most of the time I feel "good enough."  I have some very good days, some fair ones, and some miserable ones.  I don't know if I can say I have ever had a fantastic day.

2. B. Most of how I feel is due to my diabetes.  Hormones also play a part as does the fact that I rarely get enough sleep.

3. C.  I could definately take care of myself better and I have such high standards for how I should manage my diabetes.  I try to eat healthy (which is hard with my b/f being addicted to junk food, healthy food being expensive and time consuming to prepare) I like salads and veggies and all that good stuff, but I'm surrounded by junk.  As far as exercise I work 3 12hour days a week and am on my feet ALL day-extremely active.  I have been working on being more active on my days off, too.  I monitor myself frequently both with the CGMS and at least 6 finger sticks/day.  With the pump I'm quite compliant with my medication as well.  It's just a matter of finding that balance!

4. B. Slowly improving (which is hard to say today cuz i feel pretty bad today).  My A1C used to be up to about 13.something.  And now I'm down at 8.2 (but shooting for 6.anything).  My energy level is better, my moods are better, i get sick less often, my heart doesn't have to work as hard. 

I'm getting there...one day at a time

(DDrumminMan) #11

B

2.  How much of the way you feel is due to your diabetes?  A. All   B.  Most  C. Some  D. Not Much  E. None

C

I never really thought about this much.  When I get low I get mad sometimes and depressed others.  But the rest of the time I never really made a connection with diabetes have an impact on my moods etc.  I've now got this upper respiratory thing working that's been going on for about 4 weeks.  It is getting better very slowly.  I broke my collar bone about 3 years ago skiing and it too 13 months to heal.  So I'm thinking diabetes may be related to that.

C

I could get real intense about it and maybe do better, but I'm not sure I want to put in the time/effort/energy/expense to do all that.   My control is good and I know that where it is is lowering my chances of complications greatly.  It's diminishing returns from here.

Physically D emothionaloly C  See the part about longer recovery time above.

(ThePancreanator) #12

B.  Does anyone really feel fantastic most of the time? I would like to meet that person.  

D.  If I'm not in a great mood, it's likely due to being bored at work, or a bill that I have to pay.  Yay for getting older and having more repsonsibilities.  The only time diabetes sometimes bothers me is when I see people eating desserts and I lose my control and give in.  You know, a good diet for us is really a good diet for everyone.

C.  Currently I would say C, but I'm very often in B, and sometimes in A.  I haven't stuck to my exercise routine for the past 3 weeks are so and I'm dissappointed in myself for that.  I'm pretty good at monitoring and for the most part I have a control on my diet.

B.  I'd like to think that I'm continually growing within myself physically and emotionaly and not declining.  This question doesn't really directly relate to my diabetes.

(FatCatAnna) #13

1.  I would say B.  I find that having a good sense of humour with this disease - or any illness not just diabetes - is the way I cope with things.

2.  I'm between D and E. Have had it for so long - I don't really know what it is like to be - how do I put this - nondiabetic.  This is the way my life has always been - and it's not really effected me that much ... yet.  I'm still young - so give me time

3. I would say B.  I have a problem with exercising - had great plans in the year - as I need to shift some weight - but life gets in the way - sigh. Summer is here tho' now - so I'm getting more active.

4.  C.  Hasn't changed much - still plodding along from day to day ;)

(jaco1199) #14

B. Very Good - The majority of the time is B.

D. Not Much - I've been diabetic since I was 3 years old.  I have no clue what being a non-diabetic "feels" like but listening to other (non-diabetic) people talk and complain about how bad they feel - I don't blame much on my diabetes.

B. Very good - for the majority of the time but I have days that I definitely slip.

Physically - D I was very active when I was younger and now my body is almost unrecognizable to myself (I'm getting soft and flabby).  But it has to do with my lack of free time - being a single mom leaves little time to work out. 

Emotionally - B - Mentally I'm much more stable, less dramatic.  It's one of the good things about getting older.