How do you get through the holidays

(AML127) #21

If she has other friends willing to participate, it’s always a good idea to pay it forward. “Extra” candy collected trick-or-treating can be taken to a children’s hospital and given out. I’ve also seen some kids donate their candy to fire stations/law enforcement agencies to give out to kids during emergencies or when visiting their offices. It’s always nice to give back. And as a t1d myself it’s nice to help others who are sicker than I am-such as at the hospital. I was diagnosed in 1985 right after starting kindergarten. And I wish I’d been able to trick or treat and participate in other kid events. So make it positive for your little t1d. You can have fun and be creative. Even healthy non t1d kids can join in and donate too… just an idea.

(Dennis J. Dacey, PwD) #22

Hi Jennifer @jherron007, keep in mind that trying to “stop” all candy would be like trying to stop her aging. Let her have fun and be like a real 7 year old kid - but do talk with her first about being careful. Somehow let her know that she doesn’t need to “sneak” a piece or two, but rather encourage her to tell you what she eats so, like @Joe said, it can be managed by insulin.

Diabetes adds some burdens to living but it should not restrict a person’s enjoyment of life - having holiday fun is something that should not be missed by anyone - those of us with TypeOne just need to take on an added responsibility of adding another shot or two or infusing a little more insulin through our pump. Just be very careful when adding insulin that you do not “stack insulin”; wait four hours between added shots and keep in mind that a “high” from candy might take less insulin than a “delayed high” from pizza.

I’m “double” your daughter’s age [yeah a 7 and a 7] and in my seventh decade living with diabetes yet I never fail to celebrate holidays - it is just that I have to do a little extra.

(Greg) #23

Hi bookwormnerd13, I am new to the site (signed up today) and I have a son diagnosed with Type 1 as of Monday. We are on day 3 with insulin and he is doing good, but I know he has a lot of questions and would love to talk to someone in the same boat as him. He feels so “different” now and we have told him nothing is impossible but we have to make choices about what/when we eat and have to take insulin to help our body. He is the only one at his school (4th grade) and in the first few days he has had to leave class after lunch due to BGL of 70 +/-. Last night they adjusted his long acting insulin and we are hoping it goes smoother for him. Any advice you or anyone else might have would be greatly appreciated. Its been a struggle but we are learning to cope and make adjustments. Each new day is better than the last. Thanks in advance

(joe) #24

hi @onetxaggie Greg, the first year can be rough. There’s a new language to learn and math and how to use insulin.

it is very common to have to ease up using insulin right after diagnosis. People call this time period the “honeymoon”. it’s tough because he is still making insulin and taking insulin on top of that can cause unexpected lows.
I hope you have access to a certified diabetes educator (CDE) and an endocrinologist. I hope you might consider buying the book “Think like a Pancreas”. don’t try to learn everything at once… I’ve been treating type 1 for 40 years and I still have hard days. Please check back in with is and welcome to Type One Nation.

(Greg) #25

Thanks for the reply Joe, we are learning. The first 2 days were rough and yes there were some pity parties involved but each day is better. We are fortunate to have caught it early, he was peeing a lot and drinking alot while spending the time at his grandmothers, she asked if i thought it might be diabetes and I dismissed it briefly until I googled symptoms and saw the signs first hand the night he came back home. I tested with my neighbors glucose meter fasting and it was 345. Bingo! Call to pediatrician, hour in his office for tests, referral to Children’s Hospital with a diabetes education program and we are on our way! Spent the entire rest of the day there learning about our new normal. Thanks for the welcome, much appreciated.

(BookwormNerd13) #26

Hi Greg! Just saw your message, hope I’m not late in replying.
First of all–welcome to the beautiful, crazy world of T1D! I’m so glad you found this site, it’s a great place to ask questions and get support.
A few things to remember that have really helped me in the years since I was diagnosed:
Living with T1D is a journey. I’ve had it since I was 7 and I’m still learning more every day about how to manage it. There will never be a point when everything is “perfect” or when you figure out all the tricks. Don’t expect to master it; rather, learn from your mistakes and frustrations and use them to help you in the future.
Your son was diagnosed at an age that could potentially be tricky, but could also be an ideal time (if there is such a thing). He’s at an age where everyone around him is changing and learning more about themselves and over the next few years, he’ll start gaining independence in other areas of his life. Use that to your advantage and let him play a role in his own care. Work with him to determine insulin doses, have conversations about dietary choices… keep an open dialogue rather than just doing things for him. It really helps.
There are gonna be scary numbers and mistakes. It’s crucial not to let them overwhelm you. A number is just a number–it’s not a reflection on how hard you’ve been working. Ultimately, I like to live by what my endocrinologist said to my parents when I was in the hospital after diagnosis: “safety, not perfection, is the long term goal.” (He also said I could eat 5 Snickers bars in a row if I wanted to, as long as I did enough insulin for them. That was the first time I’d smiled since my diagnosis.)
Keep asking questions and keep reminding yourself that you’re doing great. People with T1D and their families are some of the strongest people in the world. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me if you have any questions–and if your son needs someone to talk to, I’d be more than happy to chat with him as well. My email is abigaelparrish13@gmail.com. :slight_smile:

(Greg) #27

Thanks so much for the prompt reply. Our doctors told him/us there are 3 rules with T1D, 1. its no ones fault, you did nothing wrong, 2. Never let it keep him from doing what he wants, there are no restrictions and 3. It is probably not going to be forever, there are great new things coming that hopefully in 10-20 years will make T1D a thing of the past.

You are so right about him being independent. He already after only 4 days since diagnosis, tests himself and tells us if we are doing something wrong when giving insulin or reminds us of a step we missed. Pretty impressive if you ask me and he is only 9! The school nurse said he asked her if he could administer his own insulin tomorrow and after asking for our permission, she said yes.
Heck yesterday while visiting a neighbor in the nursing home, they were having a birthday party and a nurse asked if he could have ice cream. I guess I had a huge brain fart moment and said sure! He immediately said, but dad I have diabetes, and it knocked me right back into reality. It was sugar free low carb ice cream so I let him have a little to see if he liked it. Yes, we cheated a little but it made him happy and had little if any effect on his blood sugar levels. I do engineering and architecture and land surveying so numbers are my life but I am kind of starting to see there is no hard and fast rule about eat this much of this and take this much insulin and your number will be this, that doesnt happen, lesson being learned. Thanks so much for sharing your email address. I will ask him if he has any questions for you and send them over when he gets home from school. He doesnt email yet being 9 but I will get the messages back and forth. He does skype/facetime though so that might be an option too if your parents are ok with it, im not sure of your age or what they would be comfortable with. You would have to let me know. We live in small town Texas and would love to find another 9 year old in the same shoes as him.
Thanks again for the reply,
Greg

(Jennifer) #28

@joe @Dennis I guess I should have clarified we don’t completely disallow sweets. We just want to keep it to special occasions for the most part. Before diabetes, the whole family probably ate too much sugar for a healthy person to consume. We will hold back a few pieces I am comfortable with for her to enjoy after trick or treating. But I do not want to keep the 10 lb bag that usually comes home with us. The last several Halloweens we just let her “go to town” on the candy she collected. I definitely don’t want to let her “go to town” for sure!

On the other hand we are struggling on how to manage the insulin with sweets. She has spiked to 400 after eating sweets in the past even with us being so careful with the carb count and calculation. It’s almost like we need to round up significantly, but that scares us too!

She’s going to be an inflatable unicorn this year. It’s hilarious, so she’s very excited about it.

(Jennifer) #29

@aml127 - those are really good ideas! thank you!

(BookwormNerd13) #30

Wow, he sounds like a great kid! And it sounds like you’re doing an awesome job navigating all of the new changes. It’s definitely ok to “cheat” sometimes or find compromises–after all, he is a kid and nothing should stop him from having fun.
I look forward to getting an email from him! :slight_smile: And yes if he wants to FaceTime, I’d love that. I’m 16 and I think my parents would absolutely be comfortable with that, as long as it’s all right with you.

(joe) #31

@jherron007 I re-read my post and please don’t think I am accusing you of being a mean Mom and not letting her have any candy :slight_smile: I bet you are an terrific Mom!

candy is what candy is, concentrated carbs, sometimes mixed with fats, in a tiny package that either blasts blood sugar (instant spike) or releases over 4 hours (lingering stubborn high BS). . the so-called fast insulin isn’t as fast as what her body used to make, so insulin takes 20-40 minutes to start working and then works for 4 hours whether you need it to or not…

I’ve been doing this for a long time… Using insulin to mimic what my body used to do is a real challenge, but I can usually do a pretty good job.

a spike to 450 and then a drop back to normal blood sugar isn’t going to kill anyone, otherwise we’d all be dead by now. I am not saying it’s awesome but there will always be a missed bolus, an illness, a special condition that makes this happen. perfect blood sugar control is just not possible with the tools we have or the insulin available at this time.

she’s growing, so you will have to periodically adjust her carb ratios. it’ll be like this for the next 13 years… testing carb ratios and basal rates is a PIA but it’s required. her needs will vary greatly until she stops growing and even then there will be seasonal and other variations.

take a favorite treat like a tootsie roll and do a science experiment. test before the candy, bolus for what the carb count says, eat the candy and take blood sugar readings every hour for 4 hours. then adjust and repeat until you get a “satisfactory” result. for candy (and specifically for me) I usually bolus 20 minutes before i eat it to give my “fast” insulin a head start. your mileage may vary. with practice you can learn how to eat pretty much anything… the biggest challenges for me are ice cream, pizza, and take-out Chinese. (high carbs mixed with fats)… it’s like a post grad course in BS control.

good luck

I want to see a picture of that unicorn! my son is going as Master Sargent (Halo).