How long type 1?

(Hawa) #183

1 year and 4 months for me. Was diagnosed in DKA during the summer after my first year in medical school.

(Grace) #184

My mom has had T1D since 1969. She put me in TrialNet when I was 3 years old because of her T1D & they were checking family members.
I would go for a 2 hour glucose tolerance test every year. I was 6 when I was diagnosed 8 years ago. I was “lucky” because I never had DKA and was never hospitalized when I was diagnosed. I just gradually started on insulin and eventually put on a pump and Dexcom. (I also got to participate in the Kids Bionic Pancreas clinical trials. That was fantastic because my blood sugars were perfect when I was on it.)

(Brandee) #185

I’m 25 yrs old. I was diagnosed in December 27, 1995 at 2 yrs old, so I’m working on my 23rd year. Back in April of this year I was diagnosed with diabetic retinopathy & started Eylea shots in both of my eyes. My first & only complication.
I’ve had 1 successful but complicated pregnancy (non-diabetes related. Appendectomy at 27wks & 5 day labor that ended in a c-section). My son will be 2 in January, no signs of T1D yet.

(April) #186

Hi, I myself is not T1D, but my son is T1D since he was diagnosed with T1D and DKA at 18 months old, February 14, 2016. It has been just over 2.5 years with this disease. He takes 4 units of generic brand Lantus and as needed injections of Novalog at mealtime. He receives up to 7 insulin injections per day, but usually only 4 injections.

(Tonya) #187

I’ve had diabetes for 36 years.

(LaShelle) #188

I have been diabetic for 35 years (diagnosed at 18 months old). I am relatively complication free. The only problem I’ve had so far is mild retinopathy, but I don’t feel the effects of that the moment. I’ve truly been blessed. :slight_smile:

(Dennis J. Dacey, pwD) #189

Shelly @Shellybean, congratulations on your 35 years of relatively complication free diabetes. That says you are doing something, rather MANY things, right.

But be careful with retinopathy even though “feel any effects”. You probably never will “feel” something but don’t let down your guard and continue regular [at least yearly] evaluations by a competent ophthalmologist. I was diagnosed with retinopathy in 1966, yeah 52 years ago.
Retinopathy can progress without letting you know; so be watchful. Currently there are some excellent treatment options available [some in which I participated in the development] and management is possible so you will keep all your very valuable vision.

(LaShelle) #190

I’ve just recently been diagnosed, so that’s good to know. What type of treatment options are avsilabld? My eye doctor recommended taking curcumin (turmeric), but that’s all I’ve heard of.

(Dassy) #191

Hi Lavonda,
I’m 55 years old and was just diagnosed three months ago. I think it’s happening more often.

(Dennis J. Dacey, pwD) #192

Shellybean @Shellybean , The two treatments I’ve had were one injection two years ago to stabilize some heavy floaters enough to aim a LASER - the injection was of an off-label use of a brain cancer medication meant to shrink tumors. The other treatment was comprised of thousands of LASER burns shot in starting in 1967 up through 2016. Mt condition had potential to be very severe; in 1966 when I was told I be totally blind within two years -at that time retinopathy was the biggest cause of blindness in the US] I was fortunate to meet an opthalmologist who had a theory about LASER - I volunteered as hs guinea pig.

There are newer and better treatments now so I suggest that you seek out the best ophthalmologist.

(josie2127) #193

I have been a type 1 for 19 years. I am mostly complication free. I do have a few spots in my eyes that we are monitoring carefully. I am on a pump.

(Kathy) #194

Today I am starting my next 50 years of T1D. I was diagnosed in 1968 at the tender age of 6. The first 50 years have been good (even with the hassles that T1D injects :wink: into life) The only complication I have to deal with is being hypoglycemic unaware. Thus I now use a pump and CGM which is a huge advancement over the glass syringes with disposable needles (this is a biggie folks - you didn’t have to hand sharpen needles anymore) and test tubes/droppers and clinitest tablets for measuring (sort of) glucose levels in urine that I started with.

So today, I continue on my journey. We’ll see where the journey takes me. My goal is 50 more good years :slightly_smiling_face:

Be strong. Be safe.

(Katie) #195

It was 7 years in August for me. Some days it feels like it’s that long, other days I can’t believe it. I’m on Lantus and Humalog

(wadawabbit) #196

I was diagnosed in 1963, which means 55 years - and I’m still going strong.

(Tonya) #197

I’ve been T1 for 36 years

(Dakota) #198

Yesterday was my 2 month dia-versery

(Chad) #199

I was diagnosed in 1984 and was probably sick for a year before that. I also have a brother and a sister with T1. Luckily they were diagnosed first and I knew the basics about self care. I have not been very disciplined about management but after a mini-stroke, cataract surgery, and a variety of other mentioned side effects. This year I tried to cut all grains and fast acting sugars out of my diet and have had pretty great results. I lost 45 lbs, my sugars are much more manageable and consistent, and I have way more energy. I recommend this approach to any T1 who has trouble balancing your sugars. Also, bicycling seems so important.

(Roger) #200

I have been T1D for 66 years and have heart disease and retinopthia. Good for your with no complications. Keep your A1C in control and hopefully that will continue.

(Roger) #201

I can relate to keeping glass syringes in alcohol, tablets in test tubes and then the great advancement, Test Strips. Which we now know didn’t really help much at all. Have been through all of the upgrades since diagnoses in 1952. I agree with you the pump and CGM are fantastic. my A1C is in much better control.

Sounds as if you’re doing well and with the new “closed loop” system you may make your 50 years.

(Roger) #202

Just getting involved with the site. I was diagnosed in 1952 and relate to much of what you spoke to. Speaking with others who have lived with T1D for awhile is encouraging. I am lucky, I have a wife who supports all of the craziness T1D brings.