How long type 1?

(sophiespieg) #101

My diagnosis was almost four years ago! So far, I haven’t run into many complications, but I’m finding it hard to keep my AIC down. Wish me luck, as my next checkup is coming up!

(Dennis J. Dacey, PWD) #102

Congratulations Nancy @nannimae,
I was diagnosed 1n 1957 and I was ‘slightly’ older than you at diagnosis - my 16th birthday and was semi-conscious at the time. It is amazing the path you must have traveled at that age. I was diagnosed with peripheral retinopathy in 1966 and had to wait another year before a weapons grade ruby laser was modified for use on my eyes and those of a few other volunteers - I was fortunate enough to be introduced to Dr. Lloyd M. Aiello, MD the inventor of the treatment, about a month after my diagnosis.

(shay ) #103

i have been a type 1 for 6 years now

(Nina) #104

I have been a diabetic for 3 years now. I was diagnosed on October 26th 2014. I use Novolog and Lantus. No pump. My A1C was 6.1.

(Mary) #105

I have been a diabetic for 46 years now. All was good until 2 years ago when I suffered a heart attack diabetes related and kidneys shut down. After 5 days in ICU everything started to go back to normal…2 weeks later back in ICU because Doctor was bad and would not listen the 3 times I called to say I wasn’t on a long lasting insulin. The next January I found a new doctor who referred me to a wonderful Diabetes expert and I received my first insulin pump after 44 years of just injections. I am on my 3rd Medtronic Pump due to newer models and my blood sugar are in very good control now. Yes there are complications with the many years of being a Diabetic but I have learned just to be careful and you can do anything anyone else can!!!

(msab) #106

60 years type 1 and I am plenty tired of it, when I was very young I was told a cure was right around the corner, well I am still waiting and nearing the end of my life, ah well, I wasn’t the one what done it so I just go on praying I don’t wake up and being thankful that I do, I’ve come to realize everybody is hauling a cross in their life and its just as heavy for me as it is for anybody else so it really does’nt mater how long or how hard it is, its over faster than you realize (truth, time flies (listen up young folk)) I’ve had 3 heart attacks,2 strokes, MS, alzheimer’s, 9 inches of intestine die, turn gangrene, cut out, the pump addition when it came available really made a differance in control +++++ but it is still a 24/7 job which has affected every aspect of my life from childhood to now, but more than a few times a week I see patients pushing themselves uphill to the VA in manual wheelchairs and I think “there but for the grace of god go I” Helps some, thanks
Marc Sabatini

(Patrick) #107

36 Years T1D here! I am on the 670G with CGM on Auto Mode, and (pretty) complication free! A1C is 6.1, too!

(FriendlyGuy64) #108

50 years…Insulin injection/glucose meter…I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 2 in 1967. I do not have any complications yet, but I had a cataract surgery a month ago. :smile:

(maryelizabeth) #109

I have had Type 1 for 47 years! Medtronic pump and CGM over 16 years. it is the BEST for me and helps me stay active and NOT let diabetes get in the way of my active life! I have some small health issues, but nothing a pill doesn’t solve!

(Isabella) #110

Type 1 for 6 years and struggling :frowning:

(Dennis J. Dacey, PWD) #111

Oh yes Isabella. @Isabella.Faba, so many days we struggle but there are sunshiny days too. In my 60 years with T1 I’ve had too many struggles but somehow I’ve had more days with big smiles :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

(21 F Diagnosed Feb 2012 ) #112

Coming up on 7 years and I was diagnosed right before my 15th b-day. I take 1 basaglar shot every morning 30 units and I take 3-5 shots of Novolog throughout the day.( Normally around 5-7 units per meal) My A1c’s ever since my diagnosis have been high( through hs it was around 10). I just recently started taking care of myself and taking insulin on a daily basis and as a result this past year it dropped to 7 which felt like a huge deal to me because it had always been out of control.

(Dennis J. Dacey, PWD) #113

Congratulations to you @GloomySunday96 - and I bet you feel better with yourself and physically now that your glucose levels appear to be leveling out.

I told someone here a few days ago that the “turn about” might come at surprising times - do you know what triggered yours? In retrospect, I wish that that mine had come as early as yours - my turn about took about 15 years - and it came about probably because I married a caring woman and we were making a family who needed me.

(21 F Diagnosed Feb 2012 ) #114

Thank you so much Dennis! I’m glad you can be there for your family and your wife sounds wonderful. My fiance begging me to try harder in both my mental health and physical health I guess sparked my “turn about”. I felt like no one ever cared about me or my diagnosis so I sort of adopted the same attitude of denial and not caring. My fiance has had to give me insulin and check my sugar when I was passed out before and has called 911 multiple times to have me sent to the E.R. and he became more and more stressed and worried about my health. One day he broke down crying when I was in a depressive/ suicidal state of mind and begged me try harder and count carbs and take my insulin regularly because he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me and couldn’t bare to lose me so early in my life. It’s probably one of the first times I actually believed someone who said they wanted me around and I knew then and there if I did pass early I would break his heart. As a result we both promised each other that I would try to manage myself better and he would do whatever he could to help me on our life journey. :slight_smile:

(Dennis J. Dacey, PWD) #115

Well @GloomySunday96 it sounds as if you should now be called “SunnySunday” - you have a real angel in your hero fiance. He is terrific and really cares for you.
I wish both of you a long and beautiful life together.

(Lisa) #116

40 years. I was just a teenager when diagnosed. Have since traveled to 30+ countries – challenging yes, but no serious problems even in third-world countries. I am very fortunate to have an incredibly supportive partner. Please be gracious to your fiance for all of the support he can and will give you even it may seem small at times. Thank him for all of it :slight_smile: and enjoy your life’s journey to the fullest!

(Jeffrey) #117

I have had Type 1 diabetes for 48 years. I was diagnosed at age 12 and am now 60.
I first started out with 1 shot per day then worked up to 2 shots per day and then 4 shots per day. I am now on an insulin pump and have been since 1995. I have always had difficulty controlling my glucose levels and am to the point of not noticing low blood sugars. My new pump is a Medtronic 670G which is a closed loop system. I hope that it will give me better control. I haven’t had any diabetic complications so far.
Here’s knocking on wood and crossing my fingers.

(JoAnnK) #118

62 years in a few months. Dx at age 7. So far complication free.

(Jeffrey) #119

Fantastic!
Keep up the good work!

(Rich) #120

I am 51 years old and was diagnosed 41 years ago. I have mild retinopathy in one eye but have been able to keep it from progressing over the past 7 years. I have had 3 trigger fingers. I have been pumping for 14 years and have been using a CGM for the past 10 years, I am on the newest mini med pump with auto mode. My A1C’s are usually 6.5 to 6.6, before CGM I was at 7.2 and before the pump I was around 7.8 to 8. I am active, I workout 5 times a weeks which I believe is essential for good control.