How long type 1?

(maxsebring) #121

Type 1 since 1962. Have had a couple hiccups. I feel good all the time. I think it is because I do what my Drs. suggest. I also have a great family. I have had a Medtronics pump for about 20 years.

(tedquick) #122

I have a few years on you, since I have 61 years experience. I had a frozen shoulder in the 90s. Didn’t get shots or any other care for it from my doctor, but discovered a home treatment that was effective eventually. I put my hand as far up the wall as I could reach, then leaned down on it until it got slightly more painful. 2 or 3 times a day.
I said eventually because it took about 2 years, but diminished it throughout that time.
BTW, I just stopped using my insulin pump 3 days ago, since I now inhale my insulin at meals. Afrezza is an amazing development, it gets insulin directly into the bloodstream within a minute and effective in 8 to 12 minutes. Also found it interesting that it was invented by the man the invented the MiniMed insulin pump in 1979 because he found that all pumps didn’t work as well as he knew they must, because the faster insulin analogs (Humalog and Novolog) are still too slow to equal digestive rates. So at age 88 he started working on inhalable insulin.
Of course you do need good lungs, and be willing to take 1 insulin pen shot of Tresiba per day for basal use, but that leads to a LOT less scarring.

(Austriana) #123

I’ve had TD1 for 14 years now. I’ll be 24 next year’s, for years I have been struggling to cope with my diabetes mainly because it’s hard to find other young adults with it, but I hope to find other soon.

(Hannah Strickland) #124

Love your positive attitude!

(ksannie) #125

T1 for 48 years, the last 11 on various pumps, and 5 years on CGM’s - a lifesaver for me since I cannot sense low sugars. My family used to be able to tell when my sugars were low, but they can’t either any more. I started on Medicare this year and am glad they now cover the Dexcom G5, as I would have had to pay for it out of pocket otherwise. I absolutely need my Dexcom. I was in college when I was diagnosed, so I have always taken care of myself alone.
No complications so far, but I know they can hit anyone, even if they take care of themselves.

(Suzy W) #127

You have the same complications I have. T1D 30 years lady May. Trigger finger both hands, thought I had frozen shoulder (s) but it was actually arthritis, had surgery for that and they ended up taking 1/4 inch of shoulder blade off too. So it seems my complication are more connective tissue based. I’m okay with that though, very minor stuff for the length of time I’ve had it and not well controlled all the time.

(Suzy W) #129

@scottt I was incorrectly diagnosed with frozen shoulder in both of mine. Got so bad I went to orthopedic surgeon who did xrays and told me arthritis. Physical therapy helped for a while then he suggested surgery to clean out the socket - he ordered an MRI before surgery and discovered the arthritis was so bad after years of misdiagnosis they had to sit off 1/4" of shoulder blade too. Doctors don’t know everything… or even clise…

(Mary) #130

53 years. I’ll be 64 tomorrow and was diagnosed at age 11. Only complications so far are retinopathy and gastroparesis. Had laser treatments in both eyes as well as vitrectomies in the mid-eighties. Eyes are stable now due to the advent of self-glucose monitoring. Last A1c was 7.

All of us who have survived this long with this crappy disease and are still well enough to talk about it can tell you that we all have “been through the ringer (mature person expression).” We could write a/the book. More so than a lot of docs.

(ryand89) #131

Two years come February.

(Dennis J. Dacey, PWD) #132

I hear you Mary @mlukas when you say we can write a book about living with and managing diabetes better than most/many doctors - congratulations on reaching your 53rd - are you part of The Joslin Medalist discussion group for those of us who had put up with this crappy disease for more than 50 years?

I had my 60th anniversary of living with diabetes on my last birthday - was semi-conscious on my 16th birthday with what is now referred to as DKA. Retinopathy has been my most severe complication and have had laser treatments in both eyes beginning in 1967 - I was one of Doctor Lloyd M. Aiello’s guinea pigs.

I chuckled with your mature person reference to “through the ringer” - Grandpa, what is a ringer?

(pamcklein) #133

Hi. I have had T1D for 53 1/2 years next month and am also complication free. I currently use a Medtronic pump and Dexcom CGM, but was on shots up until 4 yrs ago.

(Bruce Johnson) #134

I have been Type 1 since 1966. Still having BS control problems. Try my best, but find eating properly on a low income very difficult. The supermarket food chains always charge the highest prices for nutritional items where as there is always “junk” food on sale. Even the food banks only have boxed or tinned food which only promote an even worse diet than what we can afford now. I get regular exercise through a medically approved program and meet with Diabetic Nurse Practitioners as often as I can and they have been telling me to get an insulin pump or the new FreeStyle Libre Sensor System to help me control my condition. I have applied for and been approved for these devices but my health insurance refuses to pay for them and our government health system will only pay for them if you are under the age of 25. Not sure what to do. I need to keep the health insurance , even though it is very costly, because my insulin and my wife’s medications are not covered by government health care. Unfortunately I am unable to work anymore because of disabilities related to T1D complications. Despite this I tried working at a cleaning job about a year ago but was dismissed after 5 days due to safety reasons (I fell several times). I live in the fastest growing city in Canada. Unfortunately it is not located in a province where the T1D condition is considered very important except for young people who are diagnosed up to the age of 25 for which the government health system pays the full cost of purchase and supplies for insulin pumps There are about 3 locations in Canada where T1D;s are assisted like this so they can use newer devices to get better control and management of their condition. On my limited pension there is no way I could relocate to any of these areas and my wife, who is disabled, could not endure the harsher climates. I try to stay positive, but find times to be very trying and sometimes worry that I might do something to worsen the situation. I know last fall the deer were all over my yard and I was very tempted to get some fresh venison. I almost did, but realized that firing my rifle in the city would probablty get me locked up and then my wife would have no one to care for her. Being a T1D most of my life has not been as bad as many people think it would be. The only thing that younger T1D’s need to consider is the way you are paying for this condition now may not be what it could be like when you get older. The older people in society are mostly forgotten about.

(Zuriel Anne) #135

I am 19 and this year would be my 8 year anniversary. :slight_smile:

(Marilyn1969) #136

HI! I have been type 1 for about 42 years, I had been on a minimed insulin pump for about the past 20 years. I had an insurance change, and I am now on Novolin 70/30 until I can change my insurance again… hopefully! I only have one complication, and that’s mild foot neuropathy. Most of the time, my a1c’s are in the 5’s or 6’s. It’s so wonderful to see so many people here sharing about how long they’ve been with diabetes, it makes me feel so empowered!

(Haylee) #137

i have been diabetic for almost 5 months, and i have serious complications with my diabetes.

(anns) #138

I am 61 and hit the 35 year mark last November (2017), and I am quite tired of walking this tightrope. I have had two trigger thumbs and two frozen shoulders, all of which have had surgical fixes. I have a small amount of neuropathy but no eye or cardio issues. I started on multiple injections for 20+ years and finally saw the light of the pump. I am now on my 4th pump and currently am using a Medtronic paradigm pump and the 6-day Enlite cgm system. Not loving it right now because it isn’t reading close to my finger sticks recently, and that is really important, since I don’t feel or exhibit symptoms of low blood sugars. It is just exhausting to keep trying to manage it on my own, and all of a sudden my husband thinks he “knows” what I should and shouldn’t eat (after 18 years of marriage and his ignoring what I eat), since I ended up in the e.r. last week when I passed out in a parking lot. I am feeling like I am pretty much all on my own on this journey, and it is HARD.

(sherrik830) #139

Anna has been Type 1 for 2 years, 2 months. Currently an Omnipod and Freestyle Libre user

(lawrphil) #140

43 years. Dx’d at Disney World. which proves Disney is not always the happiest place on earth. Oh and

(joe) #141

hashtags don’t work here but thank you for the morning chuckle. @lawrphil

(Victoria Anne Albro) #142

Type 1 Diabetic for 8 years, this coming August!