How long type 1?

(Virginia) #143

I have been type 1 for 26 years. I was diagnosed at 8 years old. I suffer from no complications and my Endo is always very pleased with my labs. I also have hypothyroidism as well. I have been using a pump for the last 11 years. My 5 year old daughter was diagnosed at 17 months old amd will have her 4 year “diaversary” on April 11, which also happens to be my sons 7th birthday. He was diagnosed with type 1 at the age of 4. Aprill 11th is also my birthday, so that is a very bittersweet day for me. My daughter has been on a pump since almost immediately after her diagnosis as well as a Dexcom. My son is on Levemir/ Humalog. My daughter was also just recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease and she also carries antibodies associated with Hashimotos Thyroiditis, which means she is at a higher risk for developing it.

(brighter1085293) #144

52 years, diagnosed February 1966. Thanks to using an insulin pump, CGM, and trying to reduce simple carbs from my diet, my last A1c was 5.9 and average CGM value is 113.

Everyone should look at the Joslin research on long-term T1D. There’s a lot of encouraging data available.

My opinion: there is, however, a difference between “complications” caused by T1D and other autoimmune conditions. There isn’t enough information from diabetes organizations about the potential for developing other autoimmune conditions.

(Dennis J. Dacey, PWD) #145

Hi @brighter1085293, I have to agree with you that we - we = PWD - should not blame our “complications” solely on diabetes. Just think of the millions of people around us who have similar “cardiac complications” who have never had diabetes; and just recently I know of people [60’s, 70’s, 80’s] diagnosed with autoimmune conditions, such as those often [improperly] linked to diabetes who have not had diabetes.

I should congratulate you on your achievements although I’ve been told by two different endocrinologists that they never want to see me again with an HbG A1c of 5.9 or lower; since my involvement in the glycosylated hemoglobin study in the 1970’s at joslin I had maintained my readings [since the lab base change from 6.5 to 6.0] in the 5.9 to 6.1 - now the endos I’ve been seeing say they want me at 6.5. I don’t use CGM. but have been able to get my A1c up to 6.4 over the past three years. 1966, the year I was diagnosed with my first diabetes related “complication”, diabetic Retinopathy, by the medical director at Joslin - he then introduced me to an ophthalmologist in Kenmore square who had a theory that he may be able to slow down the progression; yes, I became one of the small group of people like me who laid on the table while Lloyd M. Aiello, MD applied many burns, over the course of a few years, with his ruby laser.

(stephensyu) #146

T1D since 1955 still going strong

(Desiree) #147

I’ve had Type 1 since 2006!
Still going strong even on my bad days :blush:

(carl benwon) #148

I’ve had type 1 diabetes for one year. I’ll be 62 in April. It’s just been in recent weeks that I have had to go to mealtime bolus of Humalog. Had been just one shot of Lantus a day for the first 10 months or so. Thankful the endo did the complete testing to see very early my t1d diagnosis. We kind of knew the honeymoon would be a bit longer then in children/youth.

I’m figuring it all out and have a great support group. Our daughter has diabetes and was diagnosed 14 years ago. As a parent, I got to understand it pretty well, but. . . It’s different actually having diabetes. Amazing just how much these topics are on my mind.

In the grand scheme of things, I still realize I have a charmed life. Just a bit more complication then before, eh?

f-d