How many times a day do you test and bolus?

(ajax) #1

I've been thinking about monitoring and control and freedom to eat when you want, et cetera, et cetera, and I started wondering how often people test and how often people bolus. I'm curious about both pumpers and MDI-ers. 

I test an average of 8 times a day, and bolus around 7 times. On MDI, I only bolused for meals, and the very occasional snack, but my body runs much better with more smaller meals, so since being on the pump, I am bolusing a lot more. I'm home for Christmas, and my mom keeps making fun of me cuz I'll pull out my pump to bolus for one cookie... But it keeps my levels in range, mostly.

What about you?

(joe) #2

it depends, because since pumping I have gone 20 hours without a bolus (working all night), and been to parties where it was more like 34 hours of non-stop bolusing.  I test between 6-10 times a day.

I don't think there's a right answer here.  I think what ever works, keep doing it.

Cheers

(joe) #3

haha I meant 3-4 hours - OTW that woulda been SOME party =)

(Amy Beth) #4

I just started the pump last week and I've been checking my sugars about 8 to 10 times a day.  I bolus whenever I eat or if my sugar is high, which lately has been alot.  Still working out all the ratios on the pump so my numbers have been high lately.  So I usually bolus about 6 times a day for meals and corrections.  When I was on MDI I checked my sugar 4 or 5 times a day and only would bolus when I ate.

(kneazle_lady) #5

I have to test ten times a day for a month. I set the alarms on the pump for this. No sleep. I try to bolus well. I notice that the brain is working better. But I am so tired, you know? I have to write everything down on a piece of paper, in a book...it's like the old days when I wrote the data in a cramped little log book and would lose it right before endo appointments (no big loss). Something about being forced to check ten times a day is infuriating. It's leading to more lows...weird. Anyway. I'm lowering everything--basals, bolus ratios, everything. I don't like my range very much. It swings at slight provocation. I sometimes think I should just not eat. Every time I eat ANYTHING, I skyrocket. Kidding on the not eat, but anyway. Peace to your levels; may they agree with you always.

(Run D-Link) #6

Test 10-12 times per day.

Bolus 5-7 times per day.

I'd say even though being on a pump gives me more "freedom," staying on a schedule, at least somewhat, keeps my readings better.

(system) #7

i'm so inconsistent with everything i do (not just d-related)  it's hard for me to average how many times i bolus and test.

i would guess i average about 3-4 tests a day--i just do them as i remember. i tend to do more blood tests/day if i keep my kit out in a visible place like the counter top or kitchen table. bolusing is probably about 10-12x a day, if you include corrections... maybe more. i have gastroparesis (slow digestion), so i can't eat a meal all at once. i have to eat little snacks all throughout the day (or break up the meal) or i'll throw everything up. except for when i'm at work (or sleeping), im usually eating every couple hours, so i'm constantly taking insulin.

(akoster) #8

I test 8-10 times per day and bolus 4-5 times per day.

I agree with Run D-Link. Staying on a schedule (especially in terms of excerise) helps me keep my levels in check considerably.

(sarahslp) #9

I test 6-9 times a day and bolus 4 or 5 (I'm on MDI), depending on if I need a correction.

(BrianPQuinn) #10

I so need to exercise...

I usually bolus about 3 - 4 times a day. My testing depends on the activity, plus I do have the CGM so I do keep it down some days. I would hazard a guess of about 5 - 8 on a good day. 2 - 4 on a lazy day.