How many times per week do you exercise?

(Trevor) #21

I wish I exercised more. I'll go for a long walk (especially if it's a short distance and not worth the $2.75 transit fare) when I get the opportunity, but other than that I don't really go out of my way to do so.

Heh, and my tummy is starting to show that I don't. :P

I've been considering going to a gym after work for a while, just need to find one that's not rediculously expensive and work myself into a gentle training regimen to stay fit.

(Nads) #22

Hi Trevor!  I loved reading a post that I can actually identify with, regarding exercise!  This business of exercising 4 to 6 times per week, for 2-3 hours is crazy, as far as I'm concerned!!!  (Just kidding guys!  I actually admire all of you who are that devoted!)

Anyway, I had also considered joining a gym at one point, but I already know that the motivation factor would definitely get in the way.  So.....  I did the next best thing:  I bought myself a Nintendo Wii!  I am really, truly not a video game type of person normally, but...  the Wii is so much fun!  I also got the Wii Fit, and although it's not quite the equivalent of working out at a gym, it does offer activities in the areas of yoga, strength training, aerobics and balance.  For me, it's a perfect "fit"!

(OmniUser) #23

Most of the times when I do exercise is when I go out walking with my best friend.. Its nice to go out walking and it helps me BG levels. Me and my best friend, we skateboard to thats another thing that help out!

(SGarrell) #24

I usually workout 6 times a week either running for an hour or doing a P90X video. I first began exercising to level my blood sugars out when the went high, but now I am more controlled. Lately, I have been able to workout with a starting bg of around 120-150! Yea!!! :) 

(Trevor) #25

[quote user="Nads"]

Anyway, I had also considered joining a gym at one point, but I already know that the motivation factor would definitely get in the way.  So.....  I did the next best thing:  I bought myself a Nintendo Wii!  I am really, truly not a video game type of person normally, but...  the Wii is so much fun!  I also got the Wii Fit, and although it's not quite the equivalent of working out at a gym, it does offer activities in the areas of yoga, strength training, aerobics and balance.  For me, it's a perfect "fit"!

[/quote]

Absolutely! I had housemates who had a Wii at one point. I think I was more active with that thing than I'd been in quite some time. I'm trying to allocate funds to specific things right now, but I think the only video game system I'm considering is the Wii, and I'm a fairly big gamer. :) Sure, it doesn't have the same flash as PS3 and XBOX 360, but it definitely gets you moving!

(OmniUser) #26

Oh i would so tottaly get the Wii!! It makes me sweat, (certain games), lol, its the next game system I want...

(Danielle1090) #27

I work out at least 5 days a week at my local gym. I also ride horses almost daily during the good riding months(IE...not winter LOL), and have four dogs that need to be walked.

(Pat06) #28

[quote user="Sara"]

I usually workout 6 times a week either running for an hour or doing a P90X video. I first began exercising to level my blood sugars out when the went high, but now I am more controlled. Lately, I have been able to workout with a starting bg of around 120-150! Yea!!! :) 

[/quote]

ive been looking into getting the P90X dvds how much improvement have you seen?

(Woo Its Pat) #29

I used to work out 6-7 days a week, mainly for lack of a better thing to do. When I first started working out "hardcore," I found my glucose was all over the place, but recently it's been under control before/after my workouts. I'm not sure if that's because I am not pushing myself as hard as I should be, or if my body has adapted to the strain I am putting on it.

On another note, I am also playing rugby 3x a week...practices Tuesday and Thursday, and matches on Saturday. Maybe I can pose a question here since my endocrinologist and I are trying to come up with a solution for this as well...I am on the pump (Animas 1250) and as you might be able to imagine, I cannot stay connected during a rugby match. A typical match day (both games 1st and 2nd side), I might be disconnected for 2-3 hours depending on if I play in both matches or not.

But anyway, I can be disconnected at the gym for a couple of hours and my glucose doesn't change much, maybe 115 to start and about 150 afterwards. After rugby and being disconnected for roughly the same amount of time, my glucose has been as high as 350-400...is there any simple solution to this, or just something that I'll have to deal with? I test during breaks at practice and during halftime, but I'm afraid if I correct a high number that I'll crash during the game since my body gets really sensitive to insulin during/after a workout.

That was a mouthful...any ideas?

Thanks

Pat

(amyl1027) #30

I work out 3 to 6 times a week depending on my schedule.  I do some cardio, about an hour, and then some weight training.  All I have to do is set a temp basal on my pump to regulate my blood sugar levels.  So far, it has worked out fairly well.  Overall, it seems that the more I exercise, the easier time I have controlling my blood sugar.

(figure skater girl) #31

for the next couple of weeks i think i excercise every day exept sunday. on thursday i will be excercising 3 times. morning track and field practice, gym and after school track and field practice.

(A-D) #32

Gina,

I know I’m  a little late answering this, hehehe - I got on this goofy video series workout - the gym was too inconsistent and with adding a second child it was not looking good for that to improve... Then it hit me, if I have learned anything from Daylight Savings Time, it is that I can get up an hour earlier.  So now, I am working out 6-7 days a week - nothing extraordinary but 60-90 minutes every day at 5am... a good mix of strength, cardio and flexibility training...  I’ve gotten two inches off my waistline, cut my basal by a third and feel a bit better– so… I guess we’ll see  how long I can keep it up J

Cheers!

A-D

(itsfivecent) #33

i do 30 minutes on the elliptical every day, which ends up being about 2.5 miles with resistance.  if i eat exactly half of a luna bar (13g) 15 minutes before, i end up with the same blood sugar as before i started. (:

(Woo Its Pat) #34

[quote user="A-D"]

Gina,

I know I’m  a little late answering this, hehehe - I got on this goofy video series workout - the gym was too inconsistent and with adding a second child it was not looking good for that to improve... 

[/quote]

A-D,

Are you referring to the P90X videos? Or is it something like Buns of Steel? :P

(Lfortuna) #35

Thats what happens to me on my heavier cardio days.  I find I'm practically low all day afterwards.

(A-D) #36

[quote user="Pat"]

A-D,

Are you referring to the P90X videos? Or is it something like Buns of Steel? :P

[/quote]

Pat,

an WHAT is wrong with doing 90 minutes of Buns of Steel?!?!?!?!? :P

and nah - it's just p90x, LOL - thanks for the grin!

Cheers!

A-D

(orange_mms) #37

5 days a week for me. Using Turbo Jam, Balance Ball, Punching bag, Treadmill and the Wii.

(BrianC) #38

[quote user="A-D"] Then it hit me, if I have learned anything from Daylight Savings Time, it is that I can get up an hour earlier.  So now, I am working out 6-7 days a week - nothing extraordinary but 60-90 minutes every day at 5am... a good mix of strength, cardio and flexibility training...  I’ve gotten two inches off my waistline, cut my basal by a third and feel a bit better– so… I guess we’ll see  how long I can keep it up J[/quote]

How long have you been doing this? What kind of blood sugar surprises did you experience with exercising at this time?

(A-D) #39

BrianC,

I’ve been at it for about 63 days.  No surprises with my blood sugar but I confess I used to work out a great deal in my younger days and in most of the possible scheduling permutations – but back in those days, I wasn’t waking up early – I was just starting my days later, LOL…  That was when I was in good shape as opposed to now, where I am more in pear shape… and make no mistake… PEAR, is a shape J

That said, for me with morning workouts, all of the cortisol/dawn phenomenon/”morning goofiness” applies – which means my basal is higher and any carbs I take in will hit my system with a +30% blood sugar gain… My body is pretty predictable in this regard but it was/is a consideration.  The thing I have quit doing for these workouts is lowering my basal a bunch for the workout itself.  I am dropping it slightly (5%-10% depending on the workout) and using a recovery drink that has a 2:1 ratio for carbs:protein.  I am testing a personal theory so- I can’t tell you there is any merit to this approach just that I’m playing my latest guess against my body’s reactions and waiting to see what happens. 

The bigger surprise for me was how much of an emotional boost I have gotten from hitting the (admittedly simple) goal of leaving my mattress the extra hour ahead to start my day…

The tricky thing for me is always getting a gauge on when to lower my basals.  My body seems to do this strange stair-step thing where it hits a tipping point and goes to the new dose requirement all of a sudden.  I can tell when I am getting close because I do start seeing new highs or lows but I’ll wake up one day and have to drop (or raise) by 5-20% and keep it there – when I have to keep adjusting down for over 3 days, I stop with the temp basals and drop the actual…  With Lantus, it was a bit trickier – I’d notice I was going low (or high), I’d lower (or raise) my Lantus and (if lowering) end up giving some extra fast acting through the days for a couple of days and then settle in… but I expect you probably have a pretty good handle on that side of things…

I am not sure if I gave you the information you were looking for or not – but, as ever, feel  free to let me know if I left out pieces you needed!

Cheers!

A-D

(ThePancreanator) #40

I try to exercise at 4-5x a week.  I also do cardio and weight lifting.