How Old Were You At Diagnosis?

(Andy) #181

me too. 53 years old. lost 45 pounds. misdiagnosed as T2. Frustrating, to say the least.

(Megan) #182

I don’t find too many yet that young. Would love toddler tips.
Esp. If the dexcom is used

(Megan) #183

Our daughter was a week shy of turning 2. Fell into FLA and sent to Riley with BG of 846! Scary!

(nicky81) #184

Hey no she does not wear dexcom but she has wore an Animas Ping pump since her second birthday.

(Jessica) #185

I was 9. It was in October. I remember seeing all of the scary movies on the TV during my week and a half long stay in children’s and being creeped out. The girl in the bed beside me was also a diabetic and had several issues of which I dont remember. I do remember however that the longest stay she had in the hospital was about 2 years, that scared me more than the movies. I’m now 25 and still figuring things out.

(Anne) #186

for y 16th birthday and that was 47 years ago (do the math) ! ! !

(Dennis J. Dacey, PwD) #187

Hi Anne @Anne98, I also remember my 16th birthday as when I was diagnosed with diabetes and that was in 1957 - you do the math.
I celebrate that day every year with fireworks - OK, it is a three way celebration, the Country’s and our daughter’s too. Throw in some fireworks and we have a great party.

(Anne) #188

Dennis

Happy 4th of July as the calendar turns to October 1st

We are proof that you can survive with diabetes

you just have to keep your wits about you and learn to roll with the blood sugars

and add a little humor to make you laugh

Anne

(Danika) #189

I was 13 years old – 2 weeks before 8th grade!

(Katie) #190

I was 4 years old when I was diagnosed with diabetes

(Hawa) #191

I was 22 years old when I was diagnosed.

(Brittany) #192

I was diagnosed July 1998 I was only 7 when I first got it I’ve been diabetic 20 years .

(janis1023) #193

I was 62. Have Hemochromatosis H63D homo genetic disorder. Means ur body can’t get rid of ingested iron so it will store it in the organs, liver, pancreas etc. Damaged my pancreas and caused it to leak. So my body created a pseudo cyst to try and stop the leak. It got as big as a grapefruit before it was found. When I had surgery for removal it had burrowed into my stomach. They had to remove 1/3 of pancreas, spleen, and part of my stomach. Upon recovery the pancreas wouldn’t work at all and I went immediately into Type 1.

(Alannah) #194

I was 22 when I was diagnosed. My doctor made it seem like being 22 and getting diagnosed was rare so I’m relieved to see that others were diagnosed as adults.

(Carolyn) #195

Yeah me too! I was diagnosed at 58. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

(Carolyn) #196

I was 58, also misdiagnosed as a T2. Lost 40 lbs, was really sick from metformin. Finally stopped dropping weight when they put me on insulin. All of this was 2 years ago, I’m now 60.

(Carolyn) #197

Yes, me too. I was 58, being told I was T2… no T2 fam history, dropping weight like crazy, it was still me who had to make an appt with an Endo to get second opinion.

(Brandee) #198

2 years & 9 months. December 27, 1995.

(Grace) #199

I was diagnosed with T1D in 2011 at age 6. My mom was diagnosed with T1D in 1969 at age 4.

(Charles) #200

Well I’m in late group9/17/2014 @ 53. But I suspect I had it a lot longer than thr Drs will agree to. From date of Dx in 6 mons went legally blind wet macular degeneration. Just now getting back close to normal eyesight, imjections, surgeries etc. frustrating is mild way to put it in my”view”!
Charlue