How Old Were You At Diagnosis?

(George) #141

I was 12 years old when I was diagnosed.

(Joseph) #142

I was 8 when I got diabetes, and it was at the worst time possible, HALLOWEEN. LOL

(Dawn) #143

I was 49. I was diagnosed in August 2017.

(Nona) #144

56 - August of last year

(Lisa) #145

My son was 8 years old, two weeks after school had started.

(Delaney) #146

I had turned seven a few months before my diagnosis.

(Petar) #147

I was 11 years old . It was 30 years ago in 1988 around Easter.

(Nicole) #148

My daughter was 10 at diagnosis

(John) #149

Not really true complications can come quickly or be minimized all based on your dedication to control.

(Val) #150
  1. Diagnosed 2 weeks before my 65th birthday last summer. Pretty unexpected!

(Evelyn) #151

I was 8 years old. I was in third grade.

(Aubree C.) #152

I was 12 years old when I was diagnosed. Two months after my diagnosis I turned 13 and started attending 8th grade.

(Apryl) #153

December 31, 1974. I was 9 years old.

(Mark) #154

I was 35 years old in 2000 when diagnosed. Seems like I was later than most- guess I’m just LUCKY (LOL). I don’t mind diabetes and I use an insulin pump to keep my sugars in check but I developed neuropathy in both feet 3 months after being diagnosed and getting the pain under control has been my greatest trial-by far.
The most important lesson I have learned over the years is that every person should take control over their healthcare, if you don’t, you are doing yourself a disservice.
Get a 3 ring binder get and keep copies of every lab test, xray, mri. you have. Also, keep a record of your thoughts and feelings as you travel the peaks and valleys on the roller coaster we call LIFE.
Use your support structure. I am lucky to have a family that I always lean on when I need support. They can’t always understand exactly what I am dealing with but they love me and have my best interest at heart.

(Dennis Van Hoof) #155

Just like MLtype1 Mark, I was diagnosed in 2000. As a matter of fact, I developed T1D at the turn of the millennium! I was 23 years old and now thrive with diabetes, thanks to the very structured and organized life I have to live to manage my disease.

Best,
Dr. Dennis Van Hoof, PhD, CLC

[edited by moderator]

(Donna) #156

I too was 56 when diagnosed with T1. While I am thankful I have not had to deal with this my whole life, being diagnosed at 56 really turns your life upside down. It’s a lot to wrap your head around at any age, but at 56 (WOW - I just have no words).

(Cathy) #157

Age 5 with T1d and 7 with celiac disease

(Isabelle) #158

8 years old. March of 2010.

(Melany) #159

12 years old. The summer of 2014

(Kimber) #160

11 years old (currently 35 YOA)